The Jazz Workshop #2

Do talk back
Six String

Re: The Jazz Workshop #2

Postby Six String » 03 Nov 2016, 21:40

NP Green Chimneys - Kenny Barron (Criss Cross)
I love Buster William's tone on his bass. Solid player.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 04 Nov 2016, 05:41

I'm listening to one of my favorite albums which also one of the all time classics released in many ways over the years. The best version I've heard on cd is the three cd set in a white box with the famous image with his head down at the level of the keyboard. It was oput out by Concord so it isn't a limited edition audiophile version costing a king's ransom. I'm not sure of it's availability new but it probably shows up used from time to time. For those who don't own the musoc, ot was released as two separate albums originally. There isn't a lot of extra tracks left off the originals that weren't on the cd versions but it's the sound of these discs that makes them worth owning.

Edit: The famous recording I'm hinting at here is the Bill Evans Complete Village Vanguard Recording from 1961. :oops:
Last edited by Six String on 08 Nov 2016, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Spec

Postby Spec » 04 Nov 2016, 12:58

Six String wrote:I'm listening to one of my favorite albums which also one of the all time classics released in many ways over the years. The best version I've heard on cd is the three cd set in a white box with the famous image with his head down at the level of the keyboard. It was oput out by Concord so it isn't a limited edition audiophile version costing a king's ransom. I'm not sure of it's availability new but it probably shows up used from time to time. For those who don't own the musoc, ot was released as two separate albums originally. There isn't a lot of extra tracks left off the originals that weren't on the cd versions but it's the sound of these discs that makes them worth owning.

Are you referring to the Kenny Barron here?

I've heard very little Barron. When he's played on jazz radio stations it reminds me to check out his recordings but I never get around to it. The only one I own is his album with Dave Holland from a few years back.

I went to see GoGo Penguin last night. They're an excellent young British jazz trio. They recently released their third album (their second was shortlisted for the Mercury Prize). There are a lot of trios working in the post EST world that merit attention - GGP are up near the top of that list.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 07 Nov 2016, 16:00

Ghosts and Spirits. Remembering Albert Ayler at the London School of Economics in November 1966

http://www.londonjazznews.com/2016/11/f ... ering.html
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Six String

Postby Six String » 08 Nov 2016, 18:54

Spec wrote:
Six String wrote:I'm listening to one of my favorite albums which also one of the all time classics released in many ways over the years. The best version I've heard on cd is the three cd set in a white box with the famous image with his head down at the level of the keyboard. It was oput out by Concord so it isn't a limited edition audiophile version costing a king's ransom. I'm not sure of it's availability new but it probably shows up used from time to time. For those who don't own the musoc, ot was released as two separate albums originally. There isn't a lot of extra tracks left off the originals that weren't on the cd versions but it's the sound of these discs that makes them worth owning.

Are you referring to the Kenny Barron here?

I've heard very little Barron. When he's played on jazz radio stations it reminds me to check out his recordings but I never get around to it. The only one I own is his album with Dave Holland from a few years back.

I went to see GoGo Penguin last night. They're an excellent young British jazz trio. They recently released their third album (their second was shortlisted for the Mercury Prize). There are a lot of trios working in the post EST world that merit attention - GGP are up near the top of that list.

I think I was nder the influence. After reading the post, it was the Bill Evans 1961 Village Vanguard recordings. Sorry for the confusion!

Kenny Barron is worth more investigating. He's pretty versatile, playing straightahead, Latin, solo, trio, quintet, etc. A couple I really like and recommend heartily.....
Trios
New York Attitude (Uptown)
Wanton Spirit (Verve)
Live At Bradley's

Latin/Brazilian style
The Moment
Sambao

Quintet
Live At Fat Tuesdays

Also under Stan Getz - People Time (duo)
There is the original two cd set and an expanded set of three or four discs. I have the two disc set but the expanded set got good reviews.

Edit: I really liked the GGP track. The second one wouldn't play here.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 11 Nov 2016, 06:16

I went to a local wildlife preserve about 1.5 hrs away north of me. An hour further is Chico with a few record shops so I hit two. This was one of the treasures I discovered.... Ben Webster - King Of The Tenors on the original NorGram label with the DSM drawing of the trumpet player on it for $6. Beautiful shape. Ben was great, wasn't he?
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 20 Nov 2016, 23:27

Astral Traveling: The Ecstasy of Spiritual Jazz

In the 1960s, John Coltrane led a musical movement that saw artists striking out beyond jazz’s constraints and striving toward spiritual transcendence amidst great cultural change. Andy Beta offers a playlist of highlights from the era

http://pitchfork.com/features/pitchfork ... itual-jazz

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 20 Nov 2016, 23:30

http://www.londonjazzarchive.org/

This archive of live recordings of jazz music was recorded in the 1960′s in London clubs including Ronnie Scott’s, at their request, by Les Tomkins who, as a journalist and interviewer, has figured on the London jazz scene for many years. Gearbox Records is licensing selected items from this catalogue on the basis of its important cultural and heritage value.

The heritage is valuable and significant insofar as the live recordings are a true record of jazz performances by celebrated musicians and artists during the height of London’s jazz era. During the 1960s, British musicians were unable to travel to the US to perform with their American contemporaries due to a visa restriction enforced by the American Musicians’ Union. As such, London became a centre for jazz ensembles to congregate and perform without restrictions based on their nationality.

The heritage is valued by jazz listeners, musicologists, music historians, historians focused on London’s music venues. The heritage can and will be valued by young people for whom jazz is a new and unfamiliar genre of music. The British Library have provided a letter confirming the archive’s heritage value. The project will have outputs on tape, insofar as the archive tapes will be conserved, in digital format hosted by a number of sites including that of the British Library, and true-to-period vinyl records that will provide an authentic listening experience. The project includes a programme of heritage activities to facilitate public engagement with the heritage material.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 30 Nov 2016, 15:04

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 01 Dec 2016, 23:56

Spec

Postby Spec » 02 Dec 2016, 13:34

clive gash wrote:https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/rank-your-records-robert-glasper-solos-on-his-seven-albums

Robert Glasper then

Is he any good?

I thought "In My Element" was excellent. A great piano trio album, strong writing and playing, the obligatory Radiohead cover, and just a loose connection with the worlds of hip-hop, soul and funk.

After that he went too much down the funk and soul route on a couple of albums and I lost interest. Haven't bothered with the last two which I think are more jazzy. He did a lot of the music for the Miles biopic.

Six String

Postby Six String » 02 Dec 2016, 15:40

clive gash wrote:

Excellent doc on Waldron. Thanks for posting. I stopped what I was doing and watched the whole thing and glad I did.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 04 Dec 2016, 14:00

clive gash wrote:https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/rank-your-records-robert-glasper-solos-on-his-seven-albums

Robert Glasper then

Is he any good?

I have Double Booked and Black Radio, and reckon you'd like bits of both 'em, gashy. While I don't find his piano-playing style really riveting - he certainly has good chops, but plays a quite controlled and precise, mannered style; think a modern Gene Harris - those albums offer some really nice sounds across the post bop, soul-jazz, jazz-funk, jazz-hip hop spectrum. He's very much in the tradition of '70s Byrd/Blackbyrds, '70s crossover CTI and late '70s/early '80s Hancock - ready to stretch (maybe to breaking point) the boundaries of jazz to reach the modern listener, and when he does it right it hits spot on. I come back to cherry-pick tunes from the above sets quite often for playlists or mixes for friends; his version of 'Letter To Hermione' is a personal fave...

Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Spec

Postby Spec » 06 Dec 2016, 10:47

Working through all the 2016 releases to pull together a top 20 I realise what a good year it has been for the classic piano bass drum trio. All of the following are beautifully played, quite traditional trio albums:

Bill Charlap Trio - Notes From New York

Brad Mehldau Trio - Blues and Ballads

Kenny Barron Trio - Book of Intuition (which I discovered following a post about Barron on this thread)

Cyrus Chestnut Trio - Natural Essence

Fred Hersch Trio - Sunday Night at the Vanguard

All show a lot of respect for the format and offer little radical. But all are masters at work and are recommended.

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Dec 2016, 00:12

Nice! Cyrus Chestnut appeared on the scene when there was an earlier wave of piano trios popping up, Mehldau, Terrason, Hersch and a few more I'm probably missing. This was the early 1990s. Chestnut I really like though I've lost track of his work in recent years. I like Fred Hersch as well. Bill Charlap I have had limited exposure but liked what I heard.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 07 Dec 2016, 11:32

Spec

Postby Spec » 07 Dec 2016, 12:37

clive gash wrote:http://www.gq.com/story/living-legends-of-jazz

8-)

In a year where we've lost so many legends it's great to see these guys looking well and still so cool. Can't believe they got all these together for a fashion photo shoot and didn't demand that they at least perform 2 or 3 numbers.

I'm imagining a Wayne Shorter gig in 2017 and he says "I'd like to introduce the band - on bass, Mr Ron Carter. On drums, Mr Roy Haynes. And on piano, Mr Cecil Taylor".

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 07 Dec 2016, 12:41

Damn, they all look so good! Incredible.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Spec

Postby Spec » 30 Dec 2016, 17:38

Listening to the new album by Joey Alexander. For a while I had dismissed him without really hearing him play but listening to the two albums I realise he really is a talent. For those who don't know him he was 11 when he released his first album and 13 for the second album. He apparently taught himself how to play piano by listening to his dad's jazz records.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 31 Dec 2016, 12:08

Two Turntables and a Saxophone

Sixteen artists—including DJ Premier, Jermaine Dupri, and Freddie Gibbs—pick jazz records every rap fan should own and rap records every jazz fan should own.

http://pitchfork.com/features/from-the- ... -saxophone

Return to “Yakety Yak”