Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
Nuts

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Nuts » 15 Sep 2016, 09:36

Went to see King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard at the Electric in Brixton last week. Great performance with 2 drummers who were tight as a gnats.
Only downside was the price of booze in the venue. No beer/lager/anything on tap, just cans or plastic bottles. We opted for 2 bottles of Punk IPA which made about three quarters of a pint each. The price - £11.80. I think that's the most I've ever paid. The sad thing is, whenever I meet up with my mate to see a band in a relatively big (the electric was pretty small actually) venue, we tend to blow out the support bands as we'd prefer to have a decent, reasonable priced beer in a pub rather than get fleeced in the venue. It's about time these places wised up, I don't mind paying higher prices but not for shit out of a can or some crap fizzy lager.
Anyway, Graham Day & The Forefathers at the Half Moon in Putney this Friday, and they always have decent beers.
Then Spizz Energi at the 100 Club next Tuesday and that was only £1.50 a ticket!!
So I shouldn't complain.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 15 Sep 2016, 12:53

Nuts wrote:Went to see King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard at the Electric in Brixton last week. Great performance with 2 drummers who were tight as a gnats.
Only downside was the price of booze in the venue. No beer/lager/anything on tap, just cans or plastic bottles. We opted for 2 bottles of Punk IPA which made about three quarters of a pint each. The price - £11.80. I think that's the most I've ever paid. The sad thing is, whenever I meet up with my mate to see a band in a relatively big (the electric was pretty small actually) venue, we tend to blow out the support bands as we'd prefer to have a decent, reasonable priced beer in a pub rather than get fleeced in the venue. It's about time these places wised up, I don't mind paying higher prices but not for shit out of a can or some crap fizzy lager.
Anyway, Graham Day & The Forefathers at the Half Moon in Putney this Friday, and they always have decent beers.
Then Spizz Energi at the 100 Club next Tuesday and that was only £1.50 a ticket!!
So I shouldn't complain.

Thee Oh Sees also do double drums. Worked very well.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 20 Sep 2016, 14:37

We went to see Anderson Paak and the Free Nationals tonight. A protege of Dr. Dre, Paak is bit heavy on the "Get your hands up in the air!" and "Make some noise!" hip hop nonsense. Then again he has some less hip hoppy numbers which indicate he has the talent to be another Gil Scott Heron, Sly Stone or Curtis Mayfield. And his pianist is really good, sounding like another Donald Fagen. B
Question authority.

Nuts

Postby Nuts » 21 Sep 2016, 10:01

Spizz Energi at the 100 Club last night. Spizz was top notch as always but unfortunately we got there in time to see Tenpole Tudor as support act. He was even worse than the last time we saw him supporting The Damned. Why do people keep booking him? He didn't even do Who Killed Bambi this time!
Sad thing was, it was 40 years to the night that the Sex Pistols etc played there. The original gig was going to be Subway Sect, which would have been quite fitting as they were on the original bill, but for some reason they pulled out. I just thought it was a shame they couldn't have got someone from the original billing to make an appearance, or maybe The Damned to do a guest spot maybe. Missed opportunity I thought. There was also nothing outside on Oxford Street telling people what was going on. I would imagine they would have got a fair bit of interest from tourists passing if they'd informed people of the historical importance of that night.
Maybe they're waiting for 50 years!
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 21 Sep 2016, 18:04

Are Stinky Toys playing tonight?
Give a shit or be a shit.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 11 Oct 2016, 15:24

Just back from seeing Kurt Vile & the Violators. A Neil Young and Crazy Horse comparison is the best I can make to describe the sound. With just a few chords Vile makes some pretty good damn music. B+

Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 20 Oct 2016, 16:35

Never really liked Primal Scream. I found them derivative and shallow. Now, having seen them live the best thing I can say about the band is that they fucking rocked. There was this 70s rock thing they did tonight that I appreciated. The singer looked the part. Too bad his voice is shit. But he has boatloads of devoted Japanese fans screaming "Bobby!" throughout the show. And there are some songs, the rockier less disco-y numbers that I liked. All in all, I had a good time and I like Primal Scream slightly more than before. B-.
Question authority.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 26 Oct 2016, 12:14

Just found out Killing Joke are playing here next Wednesday and have secured tickets.

Get in!
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Nuts

Postby Nuts » 01 Nov 2016, 10:44

PJ Harvey at Brixton Academy last night. Absolutely blinding performance. The sound was spot on and so good that I think the soundman needs an award for putting together such a great sound for a ten piece band. Polly's voice was one of the best I've ever heard live and the whole thing was perfectly put together with no interaction with the crowd, apart from right near the end, a track from the latest album started up and Polly moved towards the mike and went to sing the first line but obviously had a frog in her throat and it all just came out wrong, she actually burst out laughing, the audience cheered and she turned to the band to carry on, she started again and sang it note perfect. I was looking forward to hearing some of the old tracks as I've not seen her live for many years but found that I actually enjoyed all the newer stuff much more than the oldies. It really was a stunning show and made me realise that she is almost indefinable, the songs and the way they were performed are like nothing else I can think of and it really is something, especially when you've been around as long as she has, to be able to create something fresh and new.
The only down side was the lack of beer. 20 minutes to get served when we got in the Academy (why do they shut 2 of the bars and only have 2 bar stuff at the one we were queuing up at? Do they not want to make money?) and then I didn't want to miss any of the gig fighting my way back to the bar so we didn't have another drink in there. It was only half 10 when we left so we assumed that we had plenty of time for a nightcap, only to find the nearest pub had decided to shut early and wouldn't serve us! It was Halloween too so you'd think pubs might open a little later - madness.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 01 Nov 2016, 10:49

Belle Lettre wrote:Just found out Killing Joke are playing here next Wednesday and have secured tickets.

Get in!

I'm going to their London gig this Friday, which is apparently being recorded and released pretty much straight after. It's exactly the eleventy-twelfth time I've seen Killing Joke, I reckon.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 01 Nov 2016, 12:28

Enjoy :) ours is now a family outing as both my progeny were keen.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 24 Nov 2016, 14:53

Con Brio - Duo Music Exchange, Tokyo

One of the best live experiences ever! Take Sly and the Family Stone, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, James Brown, Jackie Wilson and String Cheese Incident and this is something like the evening we spent seeing Con Brio live. San Francisco psychedelic soul is how I'd describe the style. We'd seen them once before and they were the best band IMO at Fuji Rock. The front man is a soul singer, shouter and fun rouser with amazing energy and dances like a demon. Splits, slides, breaking and head over heels flips, awesome moves which add an extra kick to the musical experience, as if it needs a kick. It doesn't but what the hell. And the band, sax, trumpet, keyboards, drums, bass and on guitar it might have been Jeff Beck himself. 5 stars.
Question authority.

Nuts

Postby Nuts » 24 Nov 2016, 16:33

Nathaniel Rateliff and The Night Sweats at Brixton Academy last week - the wife insisted on seating tickets so it was a first for me. Don't know if it was because we were sitting upstairs or just a bad sound but it was a bit of a let down, very trebly. I would say that once they've done another album, they'll have a great live set, but at the moment there was too much filler for me.
Then Dinosaur Jr a few nights later. Brilliant as always with the added bonus of Black Mountain supporting. The Forum Kentish Town gets the award for most expensive drinks though, 2 bottles of London Pride - £13. Just getting ridiculous, to compound this, we got searched on the way in whereupon they found my vegi sausage roll which I was saving for the journey home. No, can't take that in (even though they don't serve food in there??) so I had to bin it. What they thought I might do with a sausage roll I don't know.
As much as I love going to gigs, I can't think of any other entertainment where they try and make it as annoying an experience as possible - you'd think these venues didn't want people coming in, they just seem to look for more and more ways to put customers off. Just don't get it.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 24 Nov 2016, 20:04

I saw Black Sabbath on the 12th in San Antonio, last U.S. stop for the "The End" Tour.

Totally worth it. Most of the material they played was from the first three albums, with the most recent track performed being "Dirty Women" from 'Technical Ecstasy.' All three charter members sounded in good form, and Ozzy didn't do that annoying thing where he yells "We love you!" during every instrumental break like in the 'Live at Last' album. And the new drummer did a decent job recreating Bill's parts. Sound was very clear -- I saw Iron Maiden in this same venue 3 years ago and the sound was muddy as hell. Only 13 tracks performed not counting the bass solo before "NIB," but it didn't seem short; I felt I got the full Black Sabbath experience.

Setlist:

Black Sabbath
Fairies Wear Boots
After Forever
Into the Void
Snowblind
War Pigs
Behind the Wall of Sleep
Bassically
NIB
Rat Salad (with long drum solo for sweet leaf break presumably)
Iron Man
Dirty Women
Children of the Grave
Paranoid
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 12 Dec 2016, 15:11

Excellent show. So many influences and I approve of all of them: Otis, Janis, Prince, Jimi, Booker T, Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

Five stars
Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 14 Jan 2017, 15:55

Question authority.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 25 Jan 2017, 03:04

Friday nite I got a last minute ticket for sold out Pat Methany show close to my home at the Ridgefield Theatre in CT. Nice old theatre. Saw Methany twice in 87 and again in 97 so its been a long time. Methany came out alone with his Pikasso 42-string guitar acoustic guitar. Of course he had to show us he could play all 42 strings. :lol:

Then his band came out two younger musicians and Antonio Sánchez on Drums. He played a bunch of older tunes and some interesting experimental stuff. Always a fan of his synth guitar. First encore he did a melody including "This is not America" which had a few people (including me) humming it on the way out. No Pictures per PM!

Six String

Postby Six String » 25 Jan 2017, 05:11

Sanchez of s a top drummer, he's got at least one album as a leader himself! I saw Pat a year or so ago also for the first time in a long time (Early 90s for me). He's one of those artists I can enjoy in concert from time to time but not interested in buying his music though I won't say it'll never happen.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 20 Feb 2017, 14:47

Testament

My very first thrash metal show and it was pretty good. Odd to say perhaps but it wasn't loud enough or the guitars weren't well miked so the solos were buried and blurred in the overall sound. But there were times where they did cut thru and man were they good players. Best of all was the drummer whom the Cookie Monster singer called "the atomic clock." Double bass drums sounded like there were eight bass drums with four players. And we had great seats on the balcony rail with a perfect view of the band safe from the moshing mania below.

four and a half stars
Question authority.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 20 Feb 2017, 16:43

Jimbo wrote:Testament

My very first thrash metal show and it was pretty good. Odd to say perhaps but it wasn't loud enough or the guitars weren't well miked so the solos were buried and blurred in the overall sound. But there were times where they did cut thru and man were they good players. Best of all was the drummer whom the Cookie Monster singer called "the atomic clock." Double bass drums sounded like there were eight bass drums with four players. And we had great seats on the balcony rail with a perfect view of the band safe from the moshing mania below.

four and a half stars

I saw Testament, I think it was in 2008, on a bill with Judas Priest, Motorhead and the RJD lineup of Black Sabbath.

Pretty good.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Return to “Yakety Yak”