David Bowie RIP

Do talk back
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Apr 2016, 02:50

Gullible Punter wrote:Very, very unexpectedly on Tuesday me and Baron found ourselves up close and very personal with Woody Woodmansey and Tony Visconti. We had been in prime and enjoyable seats for the Holy Holy tour-like front row three feet away - and it was a cracking show that I recommend you see.
Anyway - the show ended,we mingled and chatted. I cried a bit.
Before the show the band had stressed that this was not a memorial but a celebration. Their absolute joy in playing these tunes - and absolute joy was the most prominent thing - was evident.
I danced (the only person dancing, still don't really understand that) and I have to say that a huge portion of the sadness of losing Bowie on earth disappeared for me. I got a real sense of the complete timespan and longevity of his music, maybe as I had never seen him live before so this was my first time hearing Bowie Bowie Bowie.
The band were going mental. If Bowie wasn't inside vIsconti and Woody who was he in? When o was dancing with them it felt like a final wonderful wake where sadness morphed into something else. I will always have sadness pangs but this was a cathartic event where I emerged full of fucking joy.

I wish I hadn't been boozy when I wrote this. I missed out the part that I wanted to say, which was that since Bowie died I have been obsessed and miserable with the idea that I never got to say thank you to him. For some reason I felt it was very important, and ever since going to the exhibition and seeing the fan letters he kept, I resolved that I would do something. A friend's husband had said that they would collaborate on an idea for a little comic strip type thing I was going to do and send him. This was in 2014. I kept putting it off and putting it off. Last September when in NY we heard at a party that he wasn't well. I shrugged it off. Then he was dead.

The best part about that night was saying thank you to Woody and Visconti. It felt like they were accepting thanks on his behalf. I heard a shit load of others saying it too. I bet they're fucking sick of it. It made me feel a shit load better though. I smiled for the next 24 hours.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 26 Apr 2016, 19:30

In memory of Dennis Davis

The Spiders from Mars remain as David Bowie’s most well known band. This Trio consisted of Mick Ronson on guitar, Trevor Bolder on Bass and Mick Woodmansey on Drums. They defined David Bowie’s “Ziggy Stardust” sound and remain an iconic trio in Rock and Roll history. But then came another trio, the D.A.M. trio this little known trio re-defined David Bowie once again and helped launch him into the next levels of his career.

https://carlosalomar.wordpress.com/2016 ... -a-m-trio/
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 03 May 2016, 18:33

Hugh wrote:http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-factory-news/david-bowie-blackstar-gatefold-starfield/

Yeah Baron sent me this! Anyone tried it yet? Gonna try when home...

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 03 May 2016, 19:03

Might have to unseal mine , maybe.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 03 May 2016, 19:24

I'm gonna (finally) open my copy and listen to it tonight. First time I've had the room for long enough to listen closely to a whole record since he died!
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 03 May 2016, 19:28

Count Machuki wrote:I'm gonna (finally) open my copy and listen to it tonight. First time I've had the room for long enough to listen closely to a whole record since he died!

Haven't you heard any of it at all yet?

Dr Markus wrote:

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 03 May 2016, 19:33

Gullible Punter wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:I'm gonna (finally) open my copy and listen to it tonight. First time I've had the room for long enough to listen closely to a whole record since he died!

I listened once on Spotify while drifting in and out of a light sleep. This actually seemed to really suit the album. I've heard one or two other songs since then, but that one listen pushed me to buy it on wax. I watched the videos, too, of course. But I've been putting off listening to the LP copy I got ages ago until I could give it my full attention. Tonight is that night! :)
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 03 May 2016, 19:52

Excellent!

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 05 May 2016, 18:03

Count Machuki wrote:
Gullible Punter wrote:

I listened once on Spotify while drifting in and out of a light sleep. This actually seemed to really suit the album. I've heard one or two other songs since then, but that one listen pushed me to buy it on wax. I watched the videos, too, of course. But I've been putting off listening to the LP copy I got ages ago until I could give it my full attention. Tonight is that night! :)

How was your listening?

Dr Markus wrote:

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 05 May 2016, 18:22

Oh, man, it was great. I felt high afterwards, really. I had sort of a lump in my throat, but didn't feel sad or cry or anything.
It's a good record, a really good one. I'd like to say something like "I'd like it even if it wasn't his last" but it couldn't be anything else, really.
My one (minor, minor) quibble is in sequencing..."I Can't Give Everything Away" sounds less like an album ender than "Dollar Days" but I get the idea behind closing the album as it is.
I'm so SO glad I waited until I could hear it at proper volume by myself instead of trying to play it with family/baby noise and activity going on at the same time.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 05 May 2016, 18:44

But Dollars Days rolls beautifully into I Can't Give.. He would have had to change the ending of the songs to have the same effect do you not think?
I'm glad you enjoyed it though.

Dr Markus wrote:

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 05 May 2016, 18:50

You're right. Like I said, it's a pretty minor point. I bet it won't even bug me on next hearing (likely some time in 2033).

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 05 May 2016, 19:34

That's funny. I spun it maybe 3 times before he left. I thought the record ended suddenly. I couldn't believe that was the last track. Afterwards I felt of COURSE it's the last track. I like the whole thing but I think the last two tracks are pretty special.
uggy poopy doody.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 02 Jun 2016, 21:15

I've got a feeling someone has already posted this so apologies for the duplication. I liked this short piece by Bradford Cox of Deerhunter

http://pitchfork.com/news/62870-deerhun ... vid-bowie/

He's not really saying anything that's groundbreaking or new but it's sweet and I like the last paragraph:

" I keep hearing a lot of people say things like 'David Bowie made it ok to just be yourself' .. And while I think that's a great sentiment, it feels a little off to me. David Bowie was the guy that made it OK for you to be your IDEAL self - your imagined self, yourself in space, yourself as a superman. I love him for that."

That's very close to something I've been struggling to articulate since his death.

Dr Markus wrote:

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 11 Jul 2016, 19:46

According to Instagram, Duncan Jones' first child (a son) was born this morning. He's going to be called Stenton David Jones, after his grandfather and his great-grandfather.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 22 Jul 2016, 18:52

The next Bowie Box - Who Can I Be Now?
To include a 'lost' album.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ ... ore-124831
Give a shit or be a shit.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Jul 2016, 19:38

I only stumbled across this never used clip of Heroes the other week. I like his mild temper tantrum at 2:10. It occurred to me it might be part of the act, but probably not.

Dr Markus wrote:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 23 Jul 2016, 00:05

Tom Waits For No One wrote:The next Bowie Box - Who Can I Be Now?
To include a 'lost' album.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ ... ore-124831

The new box set only covers the years 74-76 so just Diamond Dogs, Young Americans and Station to Station plus this "lost" album. A bit skimpy compared to the Five Years box which had 6 albums plus extras. I was hoping the second set would also include 6 albums and include up to Lodger. They obviously want to milk it now especially after his death.

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 23 Jul 2016, 00:31

Minnie the Minx wrote:I only stumbled across this never used clip of Heroes the other week. I like his mild temper tantrum at 2:10. It occurred to me it might be part of the act, but probably not.

Parts of it are better than the original video!
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Return to “Yakety Yak”