Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Jimbo » 18 Dec 2015, 14:57

Yo La Tengo - O East, Shibuya, Tokyo

I was never a fan. Unimpressed with their "experimental" tag I wouldn't have gone if not for the free tickets but hey... It turned out to be one of the least experimental live shows I have ever seen. I had to assume their "experiment" was how to have a minimalistic band and a full and satisfying sound. And it was quite enjoyable. Very fey and mellow, playing lots of oldies and covers including "This Diamond Ring" and "I'm Your Puppet," with an ace guitarist in the James Burton role, their sound had shades of Belle and Sebastian and The Go-Betweens. It was a show I could take my grandmother to (if she were alive).

Question authority.

Qube

Postby Qube » 24 Dec 2015, 19:27

Rounded out the year by seeing New Model Army in Amsterdam. 125 for the year, not bad, but down on previous two years (155, 147), shame on me!

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 11 Feb 2016, 14:16

Just got tickets to see Sunn O))) at a decomissioned generating station on June 10th. I'm feeling slightly apprehensive about this one...
Might need to stock up on earplugs.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 12 Feb 2016, 07:44

Richard Activity wrote:Just got tickets to see Sunn O))) at a decomissioned generating station on June 10th. I'm feeling slightly apprehensive about this one...

Or a diaper.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 12 Feb 2016, 08:08

Jumper K wrote:
Richard Activity wrote:Just got tickets to see Sunn O))) at a decomissioned generating station on June 10th. I'm feeling slightly apprehensive about this one...

Or a diaper.

And some sunscreen?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 30 Mar 2016, 18:46

Just back from seeing Tweedy which is a Wilco-less Jeff Tweedy plus his very smart looking son on drums, a bassist, a pianist/guitarist, a lead guitarist and a female backup singer. Jeff sings and plays a mean acoustic guitar and some electric. Most of the songs were from a new album with Jeff and his son. Soft-ish alt country stuff with smart lyrics. Then Jeff plays alone singing Wilco songs which amazingly the Japanese audience sang with along word for word but softly so it sounded very nice. Tweedy is a modest and unaffected musician with a shitload of songs to sing, and all have something to say, especially about love and relationships. B+
Question authority.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 31 Mar 2016, 19:10

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I saw Magma on Sunday night. About eight to ten minutes into their opening number, the bass started having problems with his amp and the performance crashed to a halt. Stella Vander made some nervous excuses while they tried to sort out the problem. After several nervous minutes, they started again from the top. At almost the same place the equipment guy ran out again to the bass player's amp. I was thinking "oh shit," but fortunately there were no more equipment failures.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Apr 2016, 16:35

We went to see Duran Duran last night. It was a really gorgeous evening and we were sat on the sunny sloping lawn at the back. It's the usual stuff with them - the old and older stuff sounds absolutely amazing, and the newer stuff just doesn't register but they deliver with high glam and pomp. They did a very sweet tribute to Prince and the high tower at the back was lit purple. Halfway through Planet Earth their backdrop had a picture of the cover of Space Oddity on it and they slid gently into that which was very lovely. The remnants of Chic were supporting and they had done Let's Dance which was a good time to get grooving.
The sound was great for an outside venue (it was at the circuit of the Americas racetrack) and because we were at the back there was a lot of dancing which cheered me up no end. Going to a show and not dancing if you can seems to be odd to me, unless you're going to see Laurie Anderson or Beethoven.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 24 Apr 2016, 23:34

I'm planning on seeing Peter Murphy here in town this Friday. Haven't heard any of his solo work, but it should be interesting.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 27 Apr 2016, 14:04

I saw Neil Young last night. He's back on tour with "Promise of the Real" as his backing band---two of Willie Nelson's kids are in it. I wasn't going to go for a whole host of reasons, but I'm VERY glad I did. Looks like they toured together last year and, based on what little I've read, this tour appears to have picked up where the last one left off.

I saw the Ragged Glory tour and it was a formative experience for me. I haven't seen him since for the reasons I almost didn't go to this show---too expensive, not playing with the Horse, outdoor venue, blah blah blah.

Vague spoilers ahead: He starts out doing a handful of classic solo Neil, on piano, guitar, and pump organ. Then the band comes on and they do some mellow Harvest/Harvest Moon/Comes a Time stuff. Then he straps on the big white guitar (is it the Falcon?) and they start rocking a bit more expansively. Last night they played a very far out "Words" (I think). I think they changed their plans and he immediately strapped on Old Black and it was away to the races. They played MANY very far out, extended Crazy Horse-y mind melting (dare I say) jams. "Down By The River," a few from Ragged Glory, a few from On the Beach (!), etc. (and a few new gadfly Neil tunes that rocked enough). He played for nearly three hours. The backing band handled it all very capably, and the third guitarist added some (mostly) welcome extra-psychedelic guitar.

Edit: I should add that Willie showed up, but it was a foregone conclusion that he would and it was no surprise as Trigger was on the stage at the beginning of the show. They did two songs, including a funny "Okie from Muskogee," which was amusing given the constant, nearly overwhelming clouds of Expensive Pot Smoke. I should really see Willie properly before he croaks. It was the first show of the tour and NY was (it seemed to me) very gregarious, in a good mood, happy to be there, etc.

I would write more but I'm typing on my phone on the way to work. He's coming to the UK. Pay the money.
Last edited by BARON CORNY DOG on 27 Apr 2016, 16:43, edited 2 times in total.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 27 Apr 2016, 15:44

Tonight Yes.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Apr 2016, 16:21

Cobbler Bob wrote:
I would write more but I'm typing on my phone on the way to work. He's coming to the UK. Pay the money.

I did 8-)
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 28 Apr 2016, 03:06

Last night, Yes.

They played all of Drama and Fragile, plus Time and a Word, Don't Kill the Whale, Owner of a Lonely Heart and Starship Trooper. Billy Sherwood pulled off the near impossible, chanelling Chris Squire and playing fantastic bass all the way through plus singing backing vocals.

I get the reasons that some will hold against this line up. However they played a great show, looked to be enjoying playing and respecting their back catalogue.

Next up Kamasi Washington....
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 29 Apr 2016, 22:12

Now I got word that the Peter Murphy show is also canceled. My whole weekend just got nuked in two fell swoops.

Nuts

Postby Nuts » 21 May 2016, 12:12

Saw Father John Misty last night at The Roundhouse - phenomenal. Great backing band, great sound and his voice was possibly one of the best live voices I've ever heard - you could have been listening to the record if you'd shut your eyes. Great performer too, really throws himself right into it. I was trying to categorise his musical style to someone who didn't know about him (they thought he was a blues artist!) when I mentioned the gig this morning but it's really hard. There was country, soul, rock. Randy Newman springs to mind for some reason but I don't know why as he's not in a similar vocal style to him at all.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 21 May 2016, 23:53

Jeemo wrote:Last night, Yes.

They played all of Drama and Fragile, plus Time and a Word, Don't Kill the Whale, Owner of a Lonely Heart and Starship Trooper. Billy Sherwood pulled off the near impossible, chanelling Chris Squire and playing fantastic bass all the way through plus singing backing vocals.

I get the reasons that some will hold against this line up. However they played a great show, looked to be enjoying playing and respecting their back catalogue.

Saw them at Liverpool and agree wholeheartedly with this.
Our own Jon K made the introductions and the Onward tribute to Squire was very well done. Sherwood played a blinder.

Last night The Unthanks at Sheffield Crucible.

Mercurial.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Postby ... » 23 May 2016, 08:44

Goat Boy wrote:
Cobbler Bob wrote:

I did 8-)

Me, too. Off to see him in Dublin on June 8. Looking at the setlists from his recent shows with POFTR and I can't wait

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 24 May 2016, 08:53

Nuts wrote:Saw Father John Misty last night at The Roundhouse - phenomenal. Great backing band, great sound and his voice was possibly one of the best live voices I've ever heard - you could have been listening to the record if you'd shut your eyes. Great performer too, really throws himself right into it. I was trying to categorise his musical style to someone who didn't know about him (they thought he was a blues artist!) when I mentioned the gig this morning but it's really hard. There was country, soul, rock. Randy Newman springs to mind for some reason but I don't know why as he's not in a similar vocal style to him at all.

Saw him at Alhambra last night - I'd read your comments about Randy Newman before, and a friend of mine who was also at the Roundhouse compared the performance to Birthday Party-era Nick Cave...suffice to say I really wasn't sure what to expect! I'd completely agree about one thing - his voice is completely immaculate, I've rarely heard anything like it, so completely attuned to the performance and the record. I have to say his frantic stage persona grated with me a bit though, and accompanied with his sometimes too-clever-for-their-own-good lyrics it made for a bit of a conflicting experience. He was channeling some sort indie Jim Morrison (which was particularly noticeable here in Paris) and I'm not sure he has the chops to pull it off. He's confident, that's for sure, and he handled the crowd very well when the sound blew out towards the end of the very first song - gave an impromptu, note-perfect unplugged performance of (I think) an extended version of Holy Sht before launching fully into resuming Everyman Needs a Companion without missing a beat. And notwithstanding that issue with the sound, Alhambra has incredible acoustics, perfect setting for his stuff. But either way, I don't see anything like Randy or early Nick in the performance! :)

Special mention to the opening act Khruangbin, have a great groove and funky bass (who is also very easy on the eye).
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Nuts

Postby Nuts » 24 May 2016, 10:39

Yeah, I know what you're saying about the Randy Newman comparison, not really sure why he comes to mind, I think it's more the storytelling aspect of the lyrics than his performance
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 15 Sep 2016, 08:53

Thee Oh Sees last night, with a inspiring opening act from Magnetix. Thee Oh Sees are pretty mighty - intense performance. Possibly the best mosh pit I've seen since about 1994. Although the cool French couple standing next to me were unimpressed by the hipsters in their 30s who would make a fool of themselves on the stage in front of the band after crowdsurfing - "C'est pas cool. C'est pas cool" they shrugged.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Return to “Yakety Yak”