A Bowie thread you can open without getting sad

Do talk back
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: A Bowie thread you can open without getting sad

Postby Minnie the Minx » 20 Jan 2016, 01:18

bobzilla77 wrote:My wife has a friend who was once at some fashion event in NYC, backstage, bending over to get a beer out of a tub on the floor. As she stands up, there's Bowie and Iman standing in front of her, and she freezes, mouth open for a moment. Bowie simply takes the beer out of her hand, opens it, hands it back to her, smiles and walks off.

Another friend of mine who worked at Tower Records said Bowie used to come in there a lot around the time of Tin Machine. She once saw him walk in and approach the new hire, and ask where he might find a Julie London record. The clerk not only froze, speechless, but turned so pale that both Bowie & my friend were looking at each other like, should we catch her? Then she literally dove under the record racks and hid! My friend helped point Bowie to the Julie London records.

And a different friend who worked there, said he thinks he is the only person who has every heard Bowie sing the Everly Bros' "Bird Dog" to an actual dog, who was chained up outside the store.

:P
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 20 Jan 2016, 05:54

I just saw this nice NY Times piece from a week ago:

Iggy Pop on David Bowie: ‘He Resurrected Me’
By JON PARELES JAN. 13, 2016

Iggy Pop, whose solo recording career began with two albums produced by David Bowie, said in an interview this week that he had still not fully processed Mr. Bowie’s death, at 69, on Sunday.

“The friendship was basically that this guy salvaged me from certain professional and maybe personal annihilation — simple as that,” said Mr. Pop, who is 68. “A lot of people were curious about me, but only he was the one who had enough truly in common with me, and who actually really liked what I did and could get on board with it, and who also had decent enough intentions to help me out. He did a good thing.”

He added, “He resurrected me.” Mr. Pop reflected: “He was more of a benefactor than a friend in a way most people think of friendship. He went a bit out of his way to bestow some good karma on me.”

They had lost touch after 2002, when Mr. Bowie hoped to sign Mr. Pop to his new record label — he was under contract elsewhere — and schedule conflicts prevented Mr. Pop from performing at the Meltdown festival in London that Mr. Bowie was curating.

Mr. Pop met Mr. Bowie in 1971, a period of excess when “we were all pretty bad but he was at least viable,” Mr. Pop said. In 1976, Mr. Bowie invited Mr. Pop to travel along with him as a “fly on the wall” on the tour following the release of Mr. Bowie’s album Station to Station. Onstage, Mr. Bowie portrayed his Thin White Duke character while flooded in white light.

“He was really disciplined,” Mr. Pop said. “That was at a time when it might be 700 people in Albuquerque, it might be 15,000 at the Garden, it might be 300 people in Zurich, etc. He did a great show every night. I don’t care where it was.”

After the tour, Mr. Bowie produced Mr. Pop’s 1977 solo debut album, The Idiot, while traveling in France and Germany and working together on songs — often with Mr. Bowie providing music and perhaps a title and Mr. Pop completing it with melodies and lyrics. “He subsumed my personality, lyrically, on that first album,” Mr. Pop said. He compared Mr. Bowie with the character in George Bernard Shaw’s Pygmalion and the musical My Fair Lady.

At times, Mr. Pop said, it was like having “Professor Higgins say to you: ‘Young man, please, you are from the Detroit area. I think you should write a song about mass production.” (He did: “Mass Production.”)

Mr. Pop’s “Nightclubbing,” a song on The Idiot that reflected postconcert club excursions across Europe with Mr. Bowie, was recorded with a cheap synthesizer and an early drum machine, the only equipment available after a recording session had been packed up. “He said, ‘I can’t put out a record with that,’” Mr. Pop recalled. “I said, ‘But I can.’ And he smiled, and he realized this was a playground for him. I always tried to encourage his worst impulses in those directions. I was a fan.”

When Mr. Bowie moved to Berlin, Mr. Pop occupied a room in Mr. Bowie’s apartment there “over the auto parts store,” he said. The title song for Mr. Pop’s next album, Lust for Life, germinated in that apartment.

Mr. Pop and Mr. Bowie, seated on the floor — they had decided chairs were not natural — were waiting for the Armed Forces Network telecast of Starsky & Hutch. The network started shows with a call signal that, Mr. Pop said, went “beep beep beep, beep beep beep beep, beep beep beep,” the rhythm, which is also like a Motown beat, that was the foundation for “Lust for Life.” Mr. Pop recalled, “He wrote the [chord] progression on ukulele, and he said, ‘Call it “Lust for Life,” write something up.’”

Mr. Bowie “saw me sometimes, when he wanted to voice it that way, as a modern Beat or a modern Dostoyevsky character or a modern van Gogh,” Mr. Pop said. “But he also knew I’m a hick from the sticks at heart.”

By contrast, Mr. Bowie was “worldly,” Mr. Pop said. “I learned things that I still use today. I met the Beatles and the Stones, and this one and that one, and this actress and this actor and all these powerful people through him. And I watched. And every once in a while, now at least, I’m a little less rustic when I have to deal with those people.”

Mr. Bowie made a point of visiting Mr. Pop’s parents in Detroit, where they were living in a trailer. “He came to my parents’ trailer, and the neighbors were so frightened of the car and the bodyguard they called the police,” Mr. Pop said. “My father’s a very wonderful man, and he said, ‘Thank you for what you’re doing for my son.’ I thought: Shut up, Dad. You’re making me look uncool.”

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 20 Jan 2016, 19:33

K wrote:Mr. Pop and Mr. Bowie
:)

For the past week I've been reading Richard Goldstein's Another Little Piece Of My Heart: My Life Of Rock And Revolution In The '60s during my lunch breaks. (A much better read than its title and cover would suggest.) And by strange coincidence, today's installment included this passage:

Richard Goldstein wrote:My friend Ellen Willis, a pioneering feminist and the first significant woman rock critic, wrote for [The New Yorker], and she had hilarious tales about what couldn't be said in its decorous pages. She wasn't allowed to use the word wig or refer to anyone as short. ([The editor] was a diminutive man.) Another friend, the pop music critic Jon Pareles, had a similar ordeal at the Times, where the honorific Mr. had to be used before every male name. Pareles fumed about this rule well into the seventies. Would he have to call Iggy Pop of The Stooges "Mr. Pop"? Or Meat Loaf "Mr. Loaf"? No, he wouldn't, but the problem showed how far mainstream publications were from the spirit and letter of youth culture.

:)

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 21 Jan 2016, 19:51

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Jan 2016, 21:59

Minnie the Minx wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/ng-interactive/2016/jan/09/stephen-collins-on-david-bowie-cartoon

:D

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 21 Jan 2016, 22:03

It's sweet isn't it. I like him capturing the musicians.

Dr Markus wrote:

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 21 Jan 2016, 22:14

One needs to use the appropriate bait, which in this case is a first-class ticket on Lufthansa.

"...it's the only way to fly."

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Jan 2016, 22:15

Minnie the Minx wrote:This is a great read

http://scallemang.ca/bowie25albums/

So happy that he loved LKJ. Sonny's Lettah has been involved in so many 2am drunken singalongs for me and it cheered me right up to imagine him doing it too!

Mama, I just couldn't stand there and do nuthin'.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 23 Jan 2016, 19:17

Fly-on-the-wall footage of a full-band rehearsal in 1995.

Bowie's laid-back, the band are lumpen, entirely lacking finesse. I can only assume that's the sound he was after...

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Jan 2016, 21:30

apricot in form of beef wrote:Fly-on-the-wall footage of a full-band rehearsal in 1995.

Bowie's laid-back, the band are lumpen, entirely lacking finesse. I can only assume that's the sound he was after...

That's so great

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Jan 2016, 01:37

Val Kilmer's rather novel tribute to Bowie:

'The last time I saw David Bowie was in Brooklyn, with some very very lucky people who got to hear Lou Reed play his dark glory, BERLIN, live. He was sitting directly in front of me with Lou's wife, Laurie Anderson, who had recently visited my ranch in New Mexico with Lou. When we said hello he turned and I recognized him instantly. Instead of saying hello, I just started petting his shoulders. I can't describe it any more accurately. He was just so special it was the only way I seemed to be able to express my joy. I haven't petted that many men in my life. I'm so glad I got to do that. And more importantly, that he let me. He just smiled as I apologized for petting him. He seemed to not only understand, but accept the strange offering of gratitude and recognition. And suddenly, the spell was broken as he focused intensely on the stage, realizing before any of us, that the historic show was about to begin. BERLIN was a particularly important record to him as he said many times, and he prized his friendship with Lou, as Lou was a very very challenging dude. But we all wanted to be as cool as David. Even Lou. He was the always, always the coolest guy in the room. And he was a master singer - song writer. God bless David Bowie.'

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Jan 2016, 16:24

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 26 Jan 2016, 21:02

:D

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Feb 2016, 13:43

We picked Livet up from the airport and went for dinner. As we ate, a man dressed up as the Thin White Duke came in, perused the pudding menu, then bought a cheesecake to go. He stood there whistling and tapping his feet as he waited for it to be packaged then grinned as he got his pudding and left.

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Feb 2016, 18:23

This is well worth fifteen minutes of your time

http://youtu.be/IZNEvTYVo4s

Dr Markus wrote:

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Feb 2016, 11:41

Minnie the Minx wrote:Val Kilmer's rather novel tribute to Bowie:

'The last time I saw David Bowie was in Brooklyn, with some very very lucky people who got to hear Lou Reed play his dark glory, BERLIN, live. He was sitting directly in front of me with Lou's wife, Laurie Anderson, who had recently visited my ranch in New Mexico with Lou. When we said hello he turned and I recognized him instantly. Instead of saying hello, I just started petting his shoulders. I can't describe it any more accurately. He was just so special it was the only way I seemed to be able to express my joy. I haven't petted that many men in my life. I'm so glad I got to do that. And more importantly, that he let me. He just smiled as I apologized for petting him. He seemed to not only understand, but accept the strange offering of gratitude and recognition. And suddenly, the spell was broken as he focused intensely on the stage, realizing before any of us, that the historic show was about to begin. BERLIN was a particularly important record to him as he said many times, and he prized his friendship with Lou, as Lou was a very very challenging dude. But we all wanted to be as cool as David. Even Lou. He was the always, always the coolest guy in the room. And he was a master singer - song writer. God bless David Bowie.'

I get that totally.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 26 Feb 2016, 11:55

Oh yeah.

But isn't that interesting, the idea that you're this iconic figure who people might occasionally just want to touch? And you allow them to do it (sometimes)?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Feb 2016, 12:11

I think that's pretty cool actually too.

The typical reaction these days from classless twats would be to insist they take their hands off of you and get their goons to step in and "put a cap in yo' ass" or suchlike.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Feb 2016, 21:08

http://youtu.be/GzX1oTv0YkY

What a sweetheart.

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Feb 2016, 23:38

Dr Markus wrote:

Return to “Yakety Yak”