Self absorbed musings on learning to play and perform with a guitar

Do talk back
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: A couple of questions for you guitar players.

Postby Minnie the Minx » 17 Aug 2015, 02:09

I've abandoned my picks, and am playing with my fingers. I just prefer the sound. I hope it's not a bad habit to get into.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 17 Aug 2015, 04:32

I think it's a good idea to get used to using a pick, but you probably already are so never mind.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 17 Aug 2015, 05:51

Are we talking finger picks or a flat pick?

billy
A pound

Postby billy » 17 Aug 2015, 08:08

. mistake
Last edited by billy on 17 Aug 2015, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.
mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

billy
A pound

Postby billy » 17 Aug 2015, 08:11

Minnie the Minx wrote:I've abandoned my picks, and am playing with my fingers. I just prefer the sound. I hope it's not a bad habit to get into.

I don't think that's bad.

I don't use a pick. Never got on with them from day one.

I found that it helped me to develop my thrash, crump, pickity thumb-bass, arpeggio, thrash crump, widdly-diddly sound. By which I mean you become so much more flexible.

But then again, I no longer play anything electric. I like an acoustic. It's like playing in the nude. In fact, my favoured instrument over the last year or so has been a simple but beautiful old Spanish guitar.

Although you can still use an amp (acceptable) and some silly old effects pedals (if you must *spits*) if needs be.

I also reckon there are very few bad habits on a guitar that can hold you back if you have the willpower to accomplish. Indeed, you can get away with playing anything you like using any method possible as long as you have enough conviction. For example, if you are not sure about a particular note, play it louder than any of the others accompanied by a physical tic - works for me.
mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

Six String

Postby Six String » 18 Aug 2015, 00:38

I think you should do both. I prefer my fingers but sometimes a pick is good like hard and fast strumming. Playing bottleneck I prefer fingers as I prefer the tone and the control over the sound. If I want a pick sound and this goes for straight playing too, I curl my finger in a little and use the fingernail. It looks like I'm holding a pick but I'm doing a downstroke with the nail.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Aug 2015, 01:17

billy wrote:I like an acoustic. It's like playing in the nude.

I think that's the definition of TMI, folks.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Dec 2015, 15:26

Back into formal lessons in January and doing some arpeggio workshops in a week. I've been having a bash at chromatic scales and trying to follow YouTube videos of teachers. There must be some law that any guitar teacher on YouTube is a fucking twat.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Dec 2015, 16:25

Minnie the Minx wrote:Back into formal lessons in January and doing some arpeggio workshops in a week. I've been having a bash at chromatic scales and trying to follow YouTube videos of teachers. There must be some law that any guitar teacher on YouTube is a fucking twat.

My brother, whose a really good guitarist, recommended one YouTube guy he really likes. I'll email him and find out who. He has both short and long lessons.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Dec 2015, 17:02

I texted my brother. He likes justinguitar.com. I've never looked at the site so mine is a second-hand recommendation.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Dec 2015, 02:01

billy wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:I've abandoned my picks, and am playing with my fingers. I just prefer the sound. I hope it's not a bad habit to get into.

I don't think that's bad.

I don't use a pick. Never got on with them from day one.

I found that it helped me to develop my thrash, crump, pickity thumb-bass, arpeggio, thrash crump, widdly-diddly sound. By which I mean you become so much more flexible.

But then again, I no longer play anything electric. I like an acoustic. It's like playing in the nude. In fact, my favoured instrument over the last year or so has been a simple but beautiful old Spanish guitar.

Although you can still use an amp (acceptable) and some silly old effects pedals (if you must *spits*) if needs be.

I also reckon there are very few bad habits on a guitar that can hold you back if you have the willpower to accomplish. Indeed, you can get away with playing anything you like using any method possible as long as you have enough conviction. For example, if you are not sure about a particular note, play it louder than any of the others accompanied by a physical tic - works for me.

I think you're right.

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Feb 2016, 15:30

I played at another very informal open mic last night, with other people from my guitar group all of whom are years into their guitar lessons so I felt like a bit of a novice, but the atmosphere was fine for it. It was in a real spit and sawdust place in South Austin and it felt like an episode of Twin Peaks at times, with the low red lights and the random customers (old cowboy holding a bunch of flowers coming in, looking round, going out again).

I sang Satellite of Love and a song that I had written. Satellite of Love suffered from nerves, me staring at my fingers on the neck even though I knew all the chords, and being sat down. I have to start playing standing up so I can project properly. The difference between how I sing sat down and standing up is massive. My guitar has no pick up so I borrowed another girl's guitar which was slightly out of tune. Despite all of this, it was a lot of fun! Highlight of the evening was when a new woman in the group, who described herself as someone who 'used to play a little years ago' and had had her first lesson yesterday, got up and played some quite unbelievable blues guitar with some amazing fingerwork. We all sat around with our jaws open. She was something else. :)

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Self absorbed musings on learning to play and perform with a guitar

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 Jan 2017, 16:19

A year on and focusing on songwriting has brought me to a place where I feel finally thrilled to be on stage rather than nervous, performing my own songs alone rather than other people's material. I'm pretty excited for the year ahead and continuing to play live. I need to conquer my irrational fear of the guitar pick, I like to use my fingers but it does make my guitar sound a bit airy fairy folky and I'd like to be a bit more full-on.

Dr Markus wrote:

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 06 Jan 2017, 16:22

Alright!

Do you use finger-picks? If not, have you tried them? (Apologies if this has been covered before.) I could never quite get with them, myself, but then I probably haven't given them a fair shot either.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 Jan 2017, 16:45

Charlie O. wrote:Alright!

Do you use finger-picks? If not, have you tried them? (Apologies if this has been covered before.) I could never quite get with them, myself, but then I probably haven't given them a fair shot either.

I haven't, no!
I love the sound they produce but.. ack, I dunno, just not for me.

Dr Markus wrote:

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Jan 2017, 17:07

I'm writing a song for the lass - it's our anniversary at the end of the month. The chords and rhythm always comes pretty easy but the words? Oy vey!

I'll get there though.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 Jan 2017, 17:16

Awwww!

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 Jan 2017, 17:17

'I've heard that you love meat,
Here's something you can eat!
It has my special sauce!
Oh God - I feel remorse'

How about that?

Dr Markus wrote:

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 06 Jan 2017, 17:32

Goat Boy wrote:I'm writing a song for the lass - it's our anniversary at the end of the month. The chords and rhythm always comes pretty easy but the words? Oy vey!

I'll get there though.

My songs always start off with lyrics in the first person but I wrestle with them until they don't.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Jan 2017, 17:35

Minnie Cheddars wrote:'I've heard that you love meat,
Here's something you can eat!
It has my special sauce!
Oh God - I feel remorse'

How about that?

I'll use that as the bridge!

I'll also slip in a cheeky reference to her pet name for my penis.

It's all coming together *rubs hands together*
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Return to “Yakety Yak”