Record Store Day Black Friday 2019 - November 29

Do talk back
Six String

Re: Record Store Black Friday 2014 - November 28

Postby Six String » 04 Dec 2014, 04:18

I hear about these stores that don't put prices on their merch. That's insane and if it was the only store in town I'd probably do on line shipping.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Re: Record Store Day 2015 - April 18th

Postby Count Machuki » 13 Mar 2015, 18:21

here we go again...

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

Nothing's jumping out at me, really.

there's a Beefheart peel sessions set in there (again?)
the Miles Davis prestige stuff looks nice, but how many times can you repackage those tunes?
I'm down for all three of those Kinks releases, though

oh, some of y'all would like this:

Bob Dylan
The Basement Tapes (180g Mono)

DETAILS
Format: LP
Label: Other Peoples Music
Release type: RSD Exclusive Release
More Info:
The Basement Tapes recorded in 1967 while Bob Dylan recuperated and features many Dylan songs that had appeared on bootleg records prior to the "official" release in 1975. The recording took place in Woodstock and features four members of the Hawks (Rick Danko, Garth Hudson, Richard Manuel and Robbie Robertson - and one American, Levon Helm) better known today as The Band. 180g black vinyl in mono: individually autographed and numbered by Garth Hudson.

OK, actually there are two that I really want: The Lord Sitar and the Sly@theFillmore

ah, screw it I like this, too:

Tomorrow
Tomorrow

DETAILS
Label: RHINO
More Info:
Formerly known as the In Crowd, Tomorrow were one of the UK's foremost exponents of psychedelia featuring vocalist Keith West of the hit "Excerpt From A Teenage Opera" fame, Steve Howe (later of Yes) and Twink (later of The Pretty Things and the Pink Fairies). Produced by Mark Wirtz and originally released on Parlophone in February 1968. A true vinyl rarity. Limited edition RSD exclusive, 1LP (mono) on 140 gram splattered vinyl with black and yellow 60's Parlophone label.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 13 Mar 2015, 18:38

I'm actually at a point now in all this nonsense that I get a little angry when I buy a new record and it is colored vinyl.

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 13 Mar 2015, 18:41

I mean, goddammit, that Johnny Thunders Live at Max's should just be available always. I'm so tired of super limited runs and colored vinyl. It's becoming like baseball card collecting.

moonie

Postby moonie » 14 Mar 2015, 00:16

I tried it last year and I just got pissed off by the people hovering in "my" part of the store. I asked my friend who runs one of the shops to hold me anything he thinks I'd like and I will pick it up Sunday.

B

Postby B » 14 Mar 2015, 17:40

nathan wrote:I mean, goddammit, that Johnny Thunders Live at Max's should just be available always. I'm so tired of super limited runs and colored vinyl. It's becoming like baseball card collecting.

Ha. I'm with you Nathan. Took a quick look at the link. A Syd Barrett/REM split 7 inch on colored vinyl? Who think this stuff up? The regular Basement Tapes vinyl is one of the easiest things to find and sounds fine. It's the Basement Tapes anyway

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 14 Mar 2015, 17:45

I remember when comics started putting gimmick covers over quality content in the 90s.
The vinyl industry should be warned...
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 03 Apr 2015, 01:21

Having a punt on getting one of those My Squelchy Life-12es.
Snowball's hope but who knows....
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 03 Apr 2015, 07:43

It all ends up on e - bay within 24 hours never. It is the modern way .
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

meetthesonics

Postby meetthesonics » 03 Apr 2015, 21:45

Wouldn't mind the Sly live set, "When I Reach That Heavenly Shore," "Texas Soul '64" and the Lydia Loveless Prince cover.
Sweet potato ya got it, apple ya ain't.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 03 Apr 2015, 23:27

That Tomorrow LP looks cool. I might get that (first RSD purchase ever).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 28 May 2015, 01:42

oh, for the love of--- :evil:

Modeled on the biannual Record Store Day extravaganza, the new event will offer fans the opportunity to snag exclusives each and every week from their favorite independent record shops (note: not Urban Outfitters). For reference, April’s installment of RSD (led by the one and only Dave Grohl) featured unique selections from the likes of Foo Fighters, Father John Misty, Ryan Adams, Florence and the Machine, and Future Islands.

Record Store Day to expand with weekly event Vinyl Tuesday

der nister

Postby der nister » 28 May 2015, 02:51

it's a hipster/fartster fleecing gallery :lol:
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

JQW

Postby JQW » 28 May 2015, 21:39

Count Machuki wrote:oh, for the love of--- :evil:

Modeled on the biannual Record Store Day extravaganza, the new event will offer fans the opportunity to snag exclusives each and every week from their favorite independent record shops (note: not Urban Outfitters). For reference, April’s installment of RSD (led by the one and only Dave Grohl) featured unique selections from the likes of Foo Fighters, Father John Misty, Ryan Adams, Florence and the Machine, and Future Islands.

Record Store Day to expand with weekly event Vinyl Tuesday

This reminds me of the farce we had over here about 25 years ago when the major labels tried their utmost to hype singles into the charts.

Our singles charts were based purely on sales, counted only at 'chart return shops' - specific retailers equipped with scanning devices to log all sales. To prevent hyping, only a random subset of these return stores were sampled each week to make the official charts.

The chart compilers had no limits on the number of different versions of a single that could be counted towards the charts, and hence some singles were released in numerous different versions, sometimes with staggered release dates. These multiple versions would usually only turn up in the return stores, with the rest of the country having to make do with the standard 7" single, selected 12" versions, and the odd cassette or CD.

Coloured vinyl was commonplace, as were picture discs. Shaped picture discs, with very narrow grooves and terrible sound quality, were used to promote some rock acts, with some designed to interlock. Even CDs could be hyped by presenting them in ornate packaging. Another common trick was to release a whole live album spread across the B-sides of several singles released at the same time.

Eventually the chart compilers got wise and limited the number of releases to that could count towards a chart placing four, with further constraints on packaging and playing time.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Re: Record Store Black Friday 2015 - November 27th

Postby Count Machuki » 27 Oct 2015, 18:37

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 27 Oct 2015, 18:40

Earth, Wind & Fire
The Best of Earth, Wind & Fire Vol. 1

DETAILS
Label: Legacy
More Info:
The Best of Earth, Wind & Fire, Vol. 1 is the definitive chronicle of Earth, Wind & Fire’s reign as innovative soul-funk hitmakers in the 1970s. Originally released in 1978, this multi-platinum collection features 10 unforgettable hits including “Shining Star,” “Sing a Song,” “Getaway” and “Fantasy,” plus three exclusive tracks including a Grammy-winning cover of The Beatles’ “Got to Get You Into My Life” and the immortal dance floor hit “September,” a Top 10 hit on both sides of the Atlantic. This new 12” picture vinyl edition, featuring the original album’s classic cover emblem plus a die-cut insert, will be released exclusively for Record Store Day Black Friday.

Track List
"Got To Get You Into My Life", "Fantasy", "Can't Hide Love", "Love Music", "Getaway", "That's The Way Of The World", "September", "Shining Star", "Reasons", "Singasong"

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 27 Oct 2015, 18:43

That Zombies BBC sessions looks alright, though.

TG

Postby TG » 27 Oct 2015, 18:57

Count Machuki wrote:That Zombies BBC sessions looks alright, though.

There are a couple of interesting pieces that tug at my completist tendencies but there is nothing remotely essential. I certainly won't be going out that day looking. If things show up down the road then I'll decide if I really want them. Being a completist is really not much in the cards anymore.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Six String

Postby Six String » 27 Oct 2015, 21:05

There isn't anything that I feel I have to have. They must be pointing to a different demographic.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 27 Oct 2015, 21:54

Perhaps the B-52's.... and Ween the Pod.
the Eagles suck.

Return to “Yakety Yak”