The Newbie Introduction Thread

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Darkness_Fish

Re: The Newbie Introduction Thread

Postby Darkness_Fish » 27 Jul 2015, 15:07

Where's the polkacore love at?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 27 Jul 2015, 15:09

Rayge wrote:Glad you made it, Fish.
I'll be looking forward to Beyond the 130 pieces on The Legendary Pink Dots, Nurse With Wound, Coil, TG, Alien Sex Fiend and the Dancing Did. Among others :D

Is there some logic behind the "Beyond the 130" title here? It has me rather baffled.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 27 Jul 2015, 15:24

Darkness_Fish wrote:
I'll be looking forward to Beyond the 130 pieces on The Legendary Pink Dots, Nurse With Wound, Coil, TG, Alien Sex Fiend and the Dancing Did. Among others :D

Is there some logic behind the "Beyond the 130" title here? It has me rather baffled.

The board in general is obsessed with a 'canon' of rock artists, most from the 1960s and 1970s (Beck was included as a sop to 'modernity'), all the usual rockist suspects, and back in the pre-Rayge mists, they put together a BCB 100 of 'approved' acts (actually much less Stalinist than it seems). This was updated a couple of years ago, with various people added. No one was quite sure how many there were, so the BCB 130 was suggested as a title, and most of the artists got written up in threads of their own under the 130 banner.
However, in the putting together of this, it became apparent that virtually every worthwhile artist of the past 100 years was being excluded in favour of Prog, Beat Groups and general unspeakableness, so I, and others, lobbied for a forum where we could dribble on about non-mainstream stuff that we particularly liked; a list was put together with deadlines and everything at the start of this year, and I lumbered myself with its curation. The Beyond the 130 title was adopted to express the 'left-field' nature of the project (well, by this board's standards, anyway).
It was going well at the start, but was eventually derailed by my sudden acquisition of a life and involvement in various cups, plus a general disillusionment with listening to music in general that made it hard for me to research the literally dozens of acts to which I'd committed, and the habits of people changing their avatars and / or disappearing for a few weeks, which made my job as whip untenable. So I'm now lobbying the admins for separate sub-forums for the 130 and for Beyond and trying to doing the lazarus thing by making it more voluntary and, soon as the winter's here and I'm indoors more, treating people to my takes on such unsung (here) giants as Jan & Dean, Doll by Doll, and so on.

One of the biggest complaints on the board is that there are not enough threads on music, but people are still reluctant to start them on artists outside the Canon.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 27 Jul 2015, 15:56

Ah, ok, that makes things clearer. I might have to get my writing boots on then.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 28 Jul 2015, 01:34

Darkness_Fish wrote:Hello,
I'm Dave, and I've decided to try this place out on the recommendation of Rayge, after another forum we used died a slow agonising death. Some of you may know me from there, imdb, or rateyourmusic. Some won't.

Just thought that I'd pop in and say hi.

Nice to see you here.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 28 Jul 2015, 09:48

As the board's sole representative of the conspiracy movement, i.e., 9/11=inside job, I welcome you Mr. Darkness Fish --- if that is your real name. :?

Oh, and do stay in the lines. Music goes over there and movies over there and general bullshit goes here.
Question authority.

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Jul 2015, 10:21

Darkness_Fish wrote:Just thought that I'd pop in and say hi.

Welcome friend

Welcome

Hopefully we will see you on Prog Corner - it is a broad church

Yes, hopefully we will see you on Prog Corner

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Jul 2015, 14:41

Not sure I'll be hanging around on prog corner, unless undercover, with an assumed identity. If Cluster counts though, I'm in!

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 28 Jul 2015, 19:47

Hey Fish.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Jul 2015, 20:43

Hi Steph. So that's three familiar faces here then? No others lurking under the turf?

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 28 Jul 2015, 20:53

Hi Darkness_Fish! We could use some voices here to oppose the dead hand of the 'good taste' 60s/70s classic rock.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jul 2015, 21:32

Welcome, but your avator is horrible!

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 28 Jul 2015, 23:36

Darkness_Fish wrote:Hi Steph. So that's three familiar faces here then? No others lurking under the turf?

I can't remember his username, but Jeff K is familiar from imdb, algroth is sometimes here and the two Robs are members, but haven't been seen for a while.

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 28 Jul 2015, 23:37

The Modernist wrote:Welcome, but your avator is horrible!

So's you're orthography, you drunken gooner

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 28 Jul 2015, 23:43

Rayge wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:

The board in general is obsessed with a 'canon' of rock artists, most from the 1960s and 1970s (Beck was included as a sop to 'modernity'), all the usual rockist suspects, and back in the pre-Rayge mists, they put together a BCB 100 of 'approved' acts (actually much less Stalinist than it seems). This was updated a couple of years ago, with various people added. No one was quite sure how many there were, so the BCB 130 was suggested as a title, and most of the artists got written up in threads of their own under the 130 banner.
However, in the putting together of this, it became apparent that virtually every worthwhile artist of the past 100 years was being excluded in favour of Prog, Beat Groups and general unspeakableness, so I, and others, lobbied for a forum where we could dribble on about non-mainstream stuff that we particularly liked; a list was put together with deadlines and everything at the start of this year, and I lumbered myself with its curation. The Beyond the 130 title was adopted to express the 'left-field' nature of the project (well, by this board's standards, anyway).
It was going well at the start, but was eventually derailed by my sudden acquisition of a life and involvement in various cups, plus a general disillusionment with listening to music in general that made it hard for me to research the literally dozens of acts to which I'd committed, and the habits of people changing their avatars and / or disappearing for a few weeks, which made my job as whip untenable. So I'm now lobbying the admins for separate sub-forums for the 130 and for Beyond and trying to doing the lazarus thing by making it more voluntary and, soon as the winter's here and I'm indoors more, treating people to my takes on such unsung (here) giants as Jan & Dean, Doll by Doll, and so on.

One of the biggest complaints on the board is that there are not enough threads on music, but people are still reluctant to start them on artists outside the Canon.

Nice summary. :D
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

DAWnofthedeadheads

Postby DAWnofthedeadheads » 05 Sep 2015, 06:40

Another Dave arrives here from the depths of the same fiery crevices as the other. I'd figured at the time of joining that I'd pop in here every so often to see Rayge's photography, but I'm sure to be around to ask something stupid or maybe give somebody some SAS (if you visit reddit, you'll know) fodder.

Otherwise, this n00b needs help with the avatar. That's about it.
Sorry, I must have left the portable CT scanner in my other pair of pants.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 05 Sep 2015, 09:27

Hey, Davy. :)

I've had trouble with my avatar too. One of the admins will sort it for you - they're usually pretty good like that.

And don't pick something creepy, you. ;)

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

DAWnofthedeadheads

Postby DAWnofthedeadheads » 05 Sep 2015, 09:43

You just wait... it'll scare the pants off the whole group.
Sorry, I must have left the portable CT scanner in my other pair of pants.

jl

Postby jl » 30 Sep 2015, 01:14

yo.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 30 Sep 2015, 14:21

Howdy, Snout! Welcome to the board!
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Return to “Nextdoorland”