Sir Douglas Quintet

Do talk back
Charlie O.

Re: Sir Douglas Quintet

Postby Charlie O. » 07 Nov 2014, 03:01

Thanks, M! I heard a different song by them on some comp, and this one is better than that was. That said, neither really lives up to the band name!

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 10 Mar 2015, 23:27

There's a Doug Sahm movie coming out!
Joe Nick Patoski, a writer, directed it. We'll see!

http://www.dougsahmdoc.com/
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 10 Mar 2015, 23:43

Big Business Bobob wrote:There's a Doug Sahm movie coming out!
Joe Nick Patoski, a writer, directed it. We'll see!

http://www.dougsahmdoc.com/

Hell yeah!

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 11 Mar 2015, 00:57

I saw Sahm at the Lone Star Cafe several times, the original location on 5th Avenue and the short-lived uptown location. Once a group of my buddies cornered Augie Meyers at the bar and grilled him about how much it would cost to book Sahm for a night... we wanted to put him in touch with the owner of Maxwell's to book a show. Augie was ever the gentleman, but my friends (and me, to a lesser extent, obviously) were obnoxiously drunk and really put Augie on the spot. He patiently heard us out and said he'd mention the club to Doug. I remember him as being quite tall.

Sahm actually played there a couple of times in later years. Miracle of miracles.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 11 Mar 2015, 01:03

Apparently, Augie isn't the brightest bulb, and was the subject of many deeply hilarious practical jokes.

The first words of the movie's web site really spell it out Sahm's key gift:

"He was the one individual who could play every form of indigenous Texas music authentically and with passion."
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 11 Mar 2015, 22:38

Good news! I look forward to it.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 22 Jul 2015, 23:33

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 23 Jul 2015, 01:24

neville harp wrote:http://lareviewofbooks.org/essay/crying-with-the-cosmic-cowboy

She gets it.

The first year I lived in Los Angeles I wrote an email to an old friend, a former roommate, who still lived in Georgia: everything you’ve heard about L.A. is a lie. My apartment, a dingbat on the east side, was far from Hollywood and Beverly Hills and their stereotypes of Botox and Bentleys with blacked out windows. Instead, I wrote about skinny, sickly palms and pink stucco condos, greasy potato tacos, sitting on the roof of my building at dawn smoking, watching the pigeons peck the chickweed clean. I wrote many such letters: succulents in bloom, jacarandas shedding, rotting all over the sidewalk. I told everyone the same story. The city is magic.

Doug and the entire quintet -- Augie, J.P. Perez, Harvey Kagan and maybe Frank Morin -- lived in L.A. (Frank may have remained in San Francisco and commuted when needed). That was when they (except Doug) cut the album with Gene Vincent. J.P. remained in L.A. and started a pretty successful recording studio; he died, I think, last year -- recently, anyway.

There's a screening of the film in L.A. on the 30th; I believe Joe Nick will be making a personal appearance. I plan to, as well.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 23 Jul 2015, 03:03

neville harp wrote:http://lareviewofbooks.org/essay/crying-with-the-cosmic-cowboy

Thanks for that - a great piece.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 23 Jul 2015, 03:15

That was a great piece. I can't help wondering if the writer has dignified the songs with more substance than they actually have! But, hey, it works.

There's about a week left for a kickstarter campaign to raise $70K for the rights to the music in the movie so they can release it in wider release (I think).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/50 ... reading-th

There's also a corresponding campaign to get Sahm into the Hall of Fame.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 23 Jul 2015, 03:30

Baron Bobob wrote:There's about a week left for a kickstarter campaign to raise $70K for the rights to the music in the movie so they can release it in wider release (I think).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/50 ... reading-th

I'm in.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 23 Jul 2015, 03:41

Already pledged.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 28 Jul 2015, 19:10

They've made their goal!

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 29 Jul 2015, 23:24

Very interesting thread. Why hadn't I spotted it originally? :roll:

Anyway, spookily enough, after having listened to some of their stuff on Youtube, I'd already ordered the 'first' album (ie, the "Best Of..." collection of singles, etc.) and a 'mono singles' collection. There appears to be no overlap between the two.

I'm not sure where to go after this though. The first album proper and some of their earlier albums now seem fairly hard to dig up.

Muskrat
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 30 Jul 2015, 00:09

The movie screens tomorrow (Thursday) night at Cinefamily in West Hollywood. Joe Nick will be present; plans are for me, too.

Muskrat

Postby Muskrat » 30 Jul 2015, 00:10

Phil T wrote:I'm not sure where to go after this though. The first album proper and some of their earlier albums now seem fairly hard to dig up.

I'd go with Honky Blues and Together After 5, but they're pretty consistent. The later Doug albums are great, too.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 30 Jul 2015, 01:44

Phil T wrote:I'd already ordered the 'first' album (ie, the "Best Of..." collection of singles, etc.) and a 'mono singles' collection. There appears to be no overlap between the two.

If you find you enjoy the first album, you'll enjoy The Sir Douglas Quintet Is Back! - basically the material from that era that didn't make it onto The Best Of, but is every bit as good.

Phil T wrote:I'm not sure where to go after this though. The first album proper and some of their earlier albums now seem fairly hard to dig up.

Most of the classic Smash/Philips/Mercury stuff is presently out of print, but there is a CD on Raven that includes 1+1+1=4 and The Return Of Doug Saldana.

Or you can just *(cough)*

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 30 Jul 2015, 10:31

Thanks fellers! I'll keep an eye out for those. :D

Charlie O. wrote:Or you can just *(cough)*

I'll give the two I've ordered a listen and may get back to you on that... ;)

Muskrat

Postby Muskrat » 31 Jul 2015, 19:44

Most excellent

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 31 Jul 2015, 19:55

So it delivered to your satisfaction, then?

Return to “Yakety Yak”