Best Britpop LP

Do talk back
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Jul 2015, 13:02

Samoan wrote:
The Slider wrote:I still kind of feel that Definitely Maybe is a cunthair pre-Britpop.

Oh do go away, you silly person, you with your made up, 8 letter words.

:o
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Samoan

Re: Best Britpop LPs

Postby Samoan » 06 Jul 2015, 15:21

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 06 Jul 2015, 15:35

Oh for just ONE album today that's HALF as good as any of those mentioned thus far!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Jul 2015, 16:07

There have been but I struggle to think of any British album that is quite in the same league as Parklife of Different Class.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 06 Jul 2015, 16:09

I thought Free The Bees came close. Certainly the first six or seven songs.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 06 Jul 2015, 16:14

Arthur Lager wrote:Oh for just ONE album today that's HALF as good as any of those mentioned thus far!

though of course not British
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 06 Jul 2015, 16:15

I still haven't given that a proper listen. I imagine it'll be 'Shake It Off' and another dozen songs that aren't as good.

Footy
Filler

Postby Footy » 06 Jul 2015, 16:16

Arthur Lager wrote:I thought Free The Bees came close. Certainly the first six or seven songs.

Yeah, I really enjoyed that album.
Grab your coat sweetheart....I've got a knife.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Jul 2015, 16:16

The Beta Band too.

Of course Copehead will be along in a minute to tell us the Manics have released 10 albums as good as Parklife since then

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 06 Jul 2015, 16:20

Arthur Lager wrote:I still haven't given that a proper listen. I imagine it'll be 'Shake It Off' and another dozen songs that aren't as good.

Well shake it off is stupendous, so maybe not quite as good as that, but certainly absolutely brilliant are (at least): welcome to new york, blank space, style, out of the woods, this love, wildest dreams, and all three of the extra tracks on the deluxe edition.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 06 Jul 2015, 16:21

Footy wrote:
Arthur Lager wrote:I thought Free The Bees came close. Certainly the first six or seven songs.

Yeah, I really enjoyed that album.

Agreed, on both counts...it does drop off quite a bit toward the end...

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 07 Jul 2015, 08:59

The Slider wrote:Significantly - April - August

You are right.

I am labouring under a misapprehension.

I'm surprised to learn that as well - I had it in my head that Parklife came after, didn't realise they had fully 3 albums before Oasis got kicking...but then I always think that Oasis started earlier - I thought they were a pretty established band by the time I saw them at Glastonbury 1994 (when everyone seemed to think they were a grunge band!), when actually they hadn't even released an album by that time apparently. But for me Britpop started much earlier, around 1992. It really felt as if a marker was put in the sand, at least in my school, where the 80s British bands (Smiths, Roses, Mondays etc) were the domain of the older kids and the new bands like Blur and Suede were "ours". I seem to have a much broader canvas when I look at Britpop - for me Suede are for sure a huge part of it, as are Radiohead for sure (although possibly OK Computer signals the end). And the Manics, Verve, Saint Etienne, Belly, Boo Radleys, Ocean Colour Scene, maybe even Jamiroquai and Galliano....
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 07 Jul 2015, 10:14

Goat Boy wrote:The Beta Band too.

Of course Copehead will be along in a minute to tell us the Manics have released 10 albums as good as Parklife since then

Not that I've ever heard Parklife, but Cumberland's finest, British Sea Power, have released at least three great albums this century. And Jackie Leven ten or so. My friends kids tell me that there's been some good grime.

And of course there's always the Libertines and Babyshambles :D
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

robertff

Postby robertff » 07 Jul 2015, 10:31

Towards the tail end of Britpop, and it will probably will go down like the proverbial lead balloon, (good name for an up and coming band in there somewhere), but I always liked this:-

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 07 Jul 2015, 10:41

Govinda and Tattva are titanic
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 07 Jul 2015, 10:53

Rayge wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:The Beta Band too.

Not that I've ever heard Parklife, but Cumberland's finest, British Sea Power, have released at least three great albums this century.

Hasn't existed since 1974, Raymondo!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Jul 2015, 11:15

So it’s either Parklife or Different Class then

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 07 Jul 2015, 11:17

Rayge wrote:Not that I've ever heard Parklife, but Cumberland's finest, British Sea Power, have released at least three great albums this century. And Jackie Leven ten or so. My friends kids tell me that there's been some good grime.

Indeed, I'd rather listen to BSP than any Britpop, much as I liked Blur and Pulp at the time.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 07 Jul 2015, 12:08

Arthur Lager wrote:
Rayge wrote:Not that I've ever heard Parklife, but Cumberland's finest, British Sea Power, have released at least three great albums this century.

:oops: Cumbria, then.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 07 Jul 2015, 12:31

Rayge wrote:
Arthur Lager wrote:
Rayge wrote:Not that I've ever heard Parklife, but Cumberland's finest, British Sea Power, have released at least three great albums this century.

:oops: Cumbria, then.

It's not like we've got much to be proud of... :(

Return to “Yakety Yak”