Mix Club - Apr 2015 - Progress etc

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Re: Mix Club - Apr 2015 - Progress etc

Postby bhoywonder » 23 Jun 2015, 16:25

Hmmm, I don't seem to have the zip file any longer, and it's a pain in the arse to create a new one, as this whole business of remove the track data is something I've as yet to figure out on my Mac. It may well be on my computer at work, but I'm off sick at the moment so can't really check. But, as Paul says, if you listened to it then you must have downloaded it. Are you sure it's not on your computer somewhere? Have a look in your downloaded files, or you download history. Let me know if you absolutely cannot find it anywhere and I'll see what I can do.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 23 Jun 2015, 17:28

bhoywonder wrote:Hmmm, I don't seem to have the zip file any longer, and it's a pain in the arse to create a new one, as this whole business of remove the track data is something I've as yet to figure out on my Mac. It may well be on my computer at work, but I'm off sick at the moment so can't really check. But, as Paul says, if you listened to it then you must have downloaded it. Are you sure it's not on your computer somewhere? Have a look in your downloaded files, or you download history. Let me know if you absolutely cannot find it anywhere and I'll see what I can do.

I'm looking as we speak!
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 23 Jun 2015, 17:34

Good man!

Prof Yuri

Postby Prof Yuri » 29 Jun 2015, 08:02

bhoywonder wrote:Is this thing on?

The mix for July, as completed by yours truly has been mixed in 6.1 on Yamaha 359 to Pioneer 555.
It has been recorded at a second per second in real time using link legato technology.
If anyone in addition to Oscar would like a copy, just message me and I will be delighted to send one; gratis.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 03 Jul 2015, 11:23

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
bhoywonder wrote:Hmmm, I don't seem to have the zip file any longer, and it's a pain in the arse to create a new one, as this whole business of remove the track data is something I've as yet to figure out on my Mac. It may well be on my computer at work, but I'm off sick at the moment so can't really check. But, as Paul says, if you listened to it then you must have downloaded it. Are you sure it's not on your computer somewhere? Have a look in your downloaded files, or you download history. Let me know if you absolutely cannot find it anywhere and I'll see what I can do.

I'm looking as we speak!

And...?

TG

Postby TG » 03 Jul 2015, 13:53

Has the Mix Club finally and officially died? Three months in and we can't get 7 people to complete their reviews/reveals? Or even send a mix? It's sad but I can't see why we keep doing this. There are three or four people trying to keep this going but to what end? Is it over?
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

TG

Postby TG » 03 Jul 2015, 20:19

P.S. - I hope not!
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 07 Jul 2015, 15:02

Well I'd happily carry on, even if it is frustrating to not get a disc, or a review. I guess it's down to how much patience Paul has with the whole thing.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 13 Jul 2015, 08:38

Yves – assuming you've not found the files, I've created a new link for you to download - http://we.tl/g2aZRQ5D83

Anyone else is welcome to have a listen too, if they're bored enough. Feel free to post a review if you're of a mind.

TG

Postby TG » 13 Jul 2015, 14:16

Why don't we just do a new Mix Club every month or two months or six weeks or something whether everyone is done or not? If someone is consistently unable to meet the deadlines then they are out for a mix or two (assuming they want to come back at all). Doing 3 or 4 mixes a year is boring. I need more!!!

When is the next one?

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 13 Jul 2015, 16:48

I still have the patience (albeit wearing thin at times). i'm happy to still aim (provisionally) for monthly but of course everyone needs to play ball. I'm happy to move forward with say one review or reveal outstanding, but in recent months that simply hasn't been the case and I don't want to get to the stage where three or four months worth are "live" at any one time.

There should be no reason not to complete everything, if not within a month then certainly 5-6 weeks
We're way past rhubarb

TG

Postby TG » 13 Jul 2015, 17:26

The Fish wrote:I still have the patience (albeit wearing thin at times). i'm happy to still aim (provisionally) for monthly but of course everyone needs to play ball. I'm happy to move forward with say one review or reveal outstanding, but in recent months that simply hasn't been the case and I don't want to get to the stage where three or four months worth are "live" at any one time.

There should be no reason not to complete everything, if not within a month then certainly 5-6 weeks

I think we should close them at 6 weeks or 8 weeks or whatever. If people can't manage that time frame then they shouldn't be in the Mix Club. Once in a while is understandable. Repeat offenders (two mixes in a row? more than twice a year?) should be excused until they can find a way to meet deadlines.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 14 Jul 2015, 08:52

Given that I've had neither a review nor a disc, I'm keen to get on with the next one. Shall we just draw a line under this one and give it a good go to get some momentum back for the next one? Issue some deadlines, perhaps, that often helps.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 16 Jul 2015, 19:03

bhoywonder wrote:Yves – assuming you've not found the files, I've created a new link for you to download - http://we.tl/g2aZRQ5D83

A final apology to the Bhoy for being over two months late with my review. As the Shirelles used to say: “Will you still love me tomorrow?”.
The mix takes us all over the world with as many genres. But, for me, it didn’t start too good:
01. A song about a cigarette. Boring voice, boring lyrics. Don’t like it.
02. Same here, not for me. A pure percussion instrumental. Whether this is Tito or the National Bongo Band I would not play this many times.
03. This is more like it. Latin song that has the rhythm, the oomph. Yes please.
04. Johnny Cash doing a Dylan song. I’m not that fond of Cash but I love Dylan. Result!
05. As the song begins I’m hearing the voice of Donovan. Uncanny. But it’s James Yorkston, isn’t it? I have it and like the dreamy, yes Donovan-like, quality.
06. This is a bit of a whiney singer, I find. I would prefer Hozier instead of this one. Slow song that doesn’t really lift off.
07. Radiohead. I hate them with a vengeance. Sorry Bhoy.
08. ‘Ain’t no sunshine’ in a reggae version. Good as I’m a bit of a dub lover.
09. Another percussion driven instrumental but saved by the lead violin. Here I could listen to more.
10. Is this Colin Bluntstone’s warm voice? I think so, nice song too.
11. Yes, yes, yes! The slow Soul of Lee Fields. Grand choice!
12. Another reggae cover, ‘If you don’t know me by now’. Yeah, keep ‘em comin’. No idea who this is though.
13. This has all the qualities of southern gospel Soul. The keyboards, the horns, the choir. Here I’m really curious as to who this is. I will buy this.
14. From the time of the Girl Groups with the perfect short sax intro. Probably called ‘Born too late’. I’m a sucker for this. Well done
15. Another slowie thatbstarts a bit wee but the rest has won me over. Strong song but again no idea who.
16. Ah, the Blues! Muddy Waters with ‘Hey hey’. Of course I love this.
17. Bettye Lavette, right? Although there’s plenty of new good Soul music around these days, the Olden still have it. Great.
18. The psych Beatles with ‘It’s all too much’. Great choice as this is very often overlooked.

All in all just a few I didn't like but the majority was spot on. Thank you, Paul!

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 17 Jul 2015, 09:27

Walk In My Shadow wrote:A final apology to the Bhoy for being over two months late with my review. As the Shirelles used to say: “Will you still love me tomorrow?”.

Ha! I can’t stop loving you!

Walk In My Shadow wrote:01. A song about a cigarette. Boring voice, boring lyrics. Don’t like it.

Fair enough. It’s Hefner with the Hymn for the Cigarettes. I believe you either love it or hate it!

Walk In My Shadow wrote:02. Same here, not for me. A pure percussion instrumental. Whether this is Tito or the National Bongo Band I would not play this many times.

Tito Puente indeed, with Swingin’ Mambo.

Walk In My Shadow wrote:03. This is more like it. Latin song that has the rhythm, the oomph. Yes please.

From one of my favourite cities on earth – Havana – this is Abelardo Barroso, the great son singer, performing with Orquesta Sensación in the early 50s, as he was approaching his own 50s. The song is En Guantánamo, a place whose name evokes a different feeling today than it did back then. This is from a fabulous collection out earlier this year on World Circuit, called Cha Cha Cha

Walk In My Shadow wrote:04. Johnny Cash doing a Dylan song. I’m not that fond of Cash but I love Dylan. Result!

Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright, from the fabulous Orange Blossom Special LP. Well worth investigating that one if you’re not a big fan of JC, if you like this then you’ll love the rest of it, I would imagine.

Walk In My Shadow wrote:05. As the song begins I’m hearing the voice of Donovan. Uncanny. But it’s James Yorkston, isn’t it? I have it and like the dreamy, yes Donovan-like, quality.

Indeed, Would You Have Me Born With Wooden Eyes? From his 2008 album When the Haar Rolls In. I’d never noticed the Donovan comparison, but on this track especially I see what you mean.

Walk In My Shadow wrote:06. This is a bit of a whiney singer, I find. I would prefer Hozier instead of this one. Slow song that doesn’t really lift off.

I Never Learnt To Share by James Blake, from his self-titled debut. I find it really haunting, personally.

Walk In My Shadow wrote:07. Radiohead. I hate them with a vengeance. Sorry Bhoy.

No need to apologise to me for your poor taste, old chap! :D

Walk In My Shadow wrote:08. ‘Ain’t no sunshine’ in a reggae version. Good as I’m a bit of a dub lover.

Horace Andy sings this, who you might recognise from his vocals with Massive Attack. Great groove, isn’t it?

Walk In My Shadow wrote:09. Another percussion driven instrumental but saved by the lead violin. Here I could listen to more.

Back to Cuba, this is from the recent Buena Vista Social Club release, Lost & Found, and is a drum and bass duel between Orlando López, Angá Díaz, called Black Chicken 37.

Walk In My Shadow wrote:10. Is this Colin Bluntstone’s warm voice? I think so, nice song too.

It is, The Zombies with the simple, tender The Way I Feel Inside. I first heard this on the soundtrack to the Life Aquatic with Steve Zizou, as it happens.

Walk In My Shadow wrote:11. Yes, yes, yes! The slow Soul of Lee Fields. Grand choice!

Isn’t it? I had a feeling you might already know this! It’s pretty much stunning, isn’t it? Have you heard this version? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tFQRtzRAgA it’ll bring tears to your eyes and take your breath away. Wow.

Walk In My Shadow wrote:12. Another reggae cover, ‘If you don’t know me by now’. Yeah, keep ‘em comin’. No idea who this is though.

They’re called Zap Pow, from Jamaica (fairly obviously) in the 70s. Their horn section was *the* horn section on the island, and feature on loads of records by the likes of Bob Marley, Lee Scratch Perry and so on. Soulful, isn’t it?

Walk In My Shadow wrote:13. This has all the qualities of southern gospel Soul. The keyboards, the horns, the choir. Here I’m really curious as to who this is. I will buy this.

Good, isn’t it? It’s called New York Lightning by The Voices Of East Harlem – a New York group, despite the southern sound. It’s on the otherwise hit and miss Soul Gospel compilation on SoulJazz. I’m afraid I don’t know anything else by them, but I really should investigate further because I adore this.

Walk In My Shadow wrote:14. From the time of the Girl Groups with the perfect short sax intro. Probably called ‘Born too late’. I’m a sucker for this. Well done

Yeah, I’m a sucker for this too. The Poni-Tails with Born Too Late, taken from the divine Teenage Heaven compilation on Cherry Red (or one of its imprints), which is a look at the girl group explosion of 1958. It’s all this good. Well, mostly. It’s worth your while, for sure.

Walk In My Shadow wrote:15. Another slowie thatbstarts a bit wee but the rest has won me over. Strong song but again no idea who.

From Sheffield, this is Slow Club, with Never Look Back, from their 2011 album Paradise. I think you’d enjoy them a lot, Yves. Old-fashioned 50s-style pop music really well executed. They’re really good live.

Walk In My Shadow wrote:16. Ah, the Blues! Muddy Waters with ‘Hey hey’. Of course I love this.

Of course! From the sensational 1960 Chess LP Muddy Waters Sings Big Bill Broonzy.

Walk In My Shadow wrote:17. Bettye Lavette, right? Although there’s plenty of new good Soul music around these days, the Olden still have it. Great.

Bettye Lavette indeed, with a cover of Bobbie Cryner’s Just Say So, from her frankly incredible 2005 album I've Got My Own Hell To Raise. The whole album is this good.

Walk In My Shadow wrote:18. The psych Beatles with ‘It’s all too much’. Great choice as this is very often overlooked.

It is, isn’t it? And while it could probably be a minute or two shorter, it’s a glorious sound nonetheless. Glad you enjoyed it!

Walk In My Shadow wrote:All in all just a few I didn't like but the majority was spot on. Thank you, Paul!

I knew you were a man of eclectic tastes, so I thought I’d give you a pretty varied mix, which inevitably means there will be a share of misses, but I’m pleased you enjoyed good chunks of it.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 26 Jul 2015, 21:11

Now all we need is a review of my mix by the Fish.

Unless he is still mad at me...

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 27 Jul 2015, 00:19

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Now all we need is a review of my mix by the Fish.

Unless he is still mad at me...

Stay tuned. It will appear any day now (and on the correct thread !!!)
We're way past rhubarb

Return to “Mix Club”