Broadband wifi

Computer issues and app recommendations
copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Broadband wifi

Postby copehead » 10 Dec 2014, 15:51

My Broadband was down for 6 hours last Sunday and when it came back up only my main computer could attach to the internet.

I have an apple airport wifi router and a modem from my ISP, an ethernet cable connects them.

I have obviously rebooted everything multiple times but to no avail.

the problem seems to be the IP address generated for me which start 169.254 so won't allow internet access from my ipad, laptop or iphone, the imac is OK.

Both my ISP and Apple blame each other for this.

apple went through a factory reset of the airport and say it is working normally and it is the ISP's DHCP server that needs rebooting..

The ISP says it is the airport that is wrong as that is generating the wonky IP addresses for my wifi.

Anyone know who is lying here?

Ta
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

JQW

Re: Broadband wifi

Postby JQW » 11 Dec 2014, 12:43

If you're getting 169.254.x.x IP addresses it means that you're not getting a response from your WiFi access point in time. I'm not sure if an Airport will behave like this if it itself can't see the internet - some devices do, making troubleshooting difficult.

Are you certain that everything is connected together exactly as it was before the link went down, and that all cables are firmly in place? It may have simply got mis-connected during the process of fault-finding.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 11 Dec 2014, 12:57

JQW wrote:If you're getting 169.254.x.x IP addresses it means that you're not getting a response from your WiFi access point in time. I'm not sure if an Airport will behave like this if it itself can't see the internet - some devices do, making troubleshooting difficult.

Are you certain that everything is connected together exactly as it was before the link went down, and that all cables are firmly in place? It may have simply got mis-connected during the process of fault-finding.

I am pretty certain that everything is fine as it is a simple set up

modem - airport - computers.

I set up the modem to run directly to the imac and that was fine.

and if it runs through the router the imac is fine but all the other wi-fi linked computers ( windows and apple ) have dodgy IP addresses and they are running from DHCP rather than supplied IP addresses.

But it is impossible to get anyone to take ownership of where these IP addresses are generated, ISP say it is from within the router - which seems a reach as it is about the size of a pack of fags and Apple say it is a DHCP server run by my ISP.

The latter sounds more plausible but I am fucked if am going to buy another airport to check that out

All the wifi computers work fine from other wifi

I think I may phone up the ISP one more time and demand they reboot my provision from their end

They also said they are upgrading my broadband at the end on january which will necessitate a new modem and router anyway and I am away at sea until then

What I don't understand is why the imac gets a proper IP address but all subsequent IP addresses generated by DHCP are 169.254 addresses that do not connect to the internet

Fucking computers

JQW

Postby JQW » 11 Dec 2014, 13:32

Does the iMac go into the LAN connection of the Airport, or is it connected to the cable modem directly?
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 12 Dec 2014, 10:13

JQW wrote:Does the iMac go into the LAN connection of the Airport, or is it connected to the cable modem directly?

The imac is completely separate from both cable modem and airport router, it is picking an IP address up from the wifi, but subsequent DHCP generated IP addresses are not allowing internet connections for other devices.

ISP cable -> cable modem -> ethernet cable -> airport router

Is how the internet is connected but only the imac connects

JQW

Postby JQW » 12 Dec 2014, 10:30

Right, got it.

It looks to me as if your ISP has changed how they allocate IP addresses, and is not longer honoring multiple requests from the Airport. You will probably have to re-configure the Airport to act as a DHCP server and router. How easy that is I can't say, as I've not worked with such a device for quite a while.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 12 Dec 2014, 11:12

JQW wrote:Right, got it.

It looks to me as if your ISP has changed how they allocate IP addresses, and is not longer honoring multiple requests from the Airport. You will probably have to re-configure the Airport to act as a DHCP server and router. How easy that is I can't say, as I've not worked with such a device for quite a while.

That's what I guessed.

I think it may be due to the up coming upgrade of the broadband in the area.

the outage may have been part of the preparations for that that have buggered my wifi set up.

I imagine it is only airports that are buggered and as most of their customers will have Virgin media routers they have had few complaints and don't care

I suppose I can try and reconfigure the airport but as it is a basic one not an airpot extreme I imagine it doesn't have the capability to become a DHCP server, so I will probably just face reality and get a Virgin router rather than go it alone at least they won't be able to fob me off then.

Return to “OK Computer?”