BCB 130 - REM

Do talk back
Bent Fabric

Re: BCB 130 - REM

Postby Bent Fabric » 02 Oct 2014, 20:39

Bent Fabric on September 26 wrote:...a band towards whom I have an active and downright pathological antipathy...

I really hate to see Quaco taking the rap all by himself here.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 02 Oct 2014, 20:43

The shit hits the fan

kath, please try and defend this.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 02 Oct 2014, 20:45

Bent Fabric wrote:
Bent Fabric on September 26 wrote:...a band towards whom I have an active and downright pathological antipathy...

... you BASTARD!!!

better?

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 02 Oct 2014, 20:49

kath wrote:
Bent Fabric wrote:

... you BASTARD!!!

better?

The benefit is shared, but - yes, absolutely

kath

Postby kath » 02 Oct 2014, 20:54

clive gash wrote:The shit hits the fan

kath, please try and defend this.

mwhahaha.

no. furthermore, you can't make me.

... although you are giving me a few ideas for yer steely dan thread.

i need a band, dammit.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 02 Oct 2014, 20:59

kath wrote:i need a band, dammit.

Come on. THINK!

We'll get through this.

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 02 Oct 2014, 21:05

True story: REM were the fist band that I saw live. They were touring behind Monster and clearly didn't give a shit. Stipe had to carry around his lyrics with him while running like a fucking moron from stage left to stage right consistently. He looked so stupid carrying around a bundle of papers everywhere. I think he painted his head too. It was totally dumb and the opposite of cool. The theme of the evening seemed to be these losers up on stage trying to be cool. Even when Stipe would put a foot up on a stage monitor to try and look cool, he would also be holding up his lyrics sheet and kill whatever shred of coolness he might have had. He also pointed the microphone at the crowd for half the choruses expecting us to sing them for him. Fuck you, you sing it! It's why I'm here for fuck's sake! And Mike Mills wore these godawful pants with a dragon on them. I was just embarrassed for him. He looked amazingly uncool. And I don't think I ever saw Buck. He was in the shadows duly playing along to whatever show Stipe thought he was trying to put on that clearly existed only in his head. Cool detachment? Incompetence? Boredom?

It certainly made me wonder what all the fuss was in going to see bands live in concert. Luckily, I soon went to see other bands and fell in love with music again. I have really hated REM ever since. Fuck them.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 02 Oct 2014, 21:05

If only there was a band that mixed the clearly enunciated hustlin' street poetry of M Stipe with the always-tasteful instrumental tapestries of Deacon/May/Taylor. P'raps with a soupcon of Frippish good humour. Anyone?

kath

Postby kath » 02 Oct 2014, 21:12

clive gash wrote:If only there was a band that mixed the clearly enunciated hustlin' street poetry of M Stipe with the always-tasteful instrumental tapestries of Deacon/May/Taylor. P'raps with a soupcon of Frippish good humour. Anyone?

as long as someone is in glamdex with a painted head and glasses, i am SO there.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 02 Oct 2014, 21:14

I worked in a record shop when "Monster" came out, this was just off the back of the knock-'em-out-the-park success of "Automatic...". In the lunch hour of that Monday we must've sold 200 copies of the damn thing and throughout the rest of that week they all came back as the bespoke orange-tinted CD tray in each one was brittle enough to lose teeth at the slightest touch and the replacement black ones we had just didn't have the necessary modish allure. God dammit REM.

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 02 Oct 2014, 21:14

In all fairness, I decided to look on YouTube for a contemporary video of when I saw them to see if my memory was playing tricks on me.

Nope. That is one uncool looking band. And sure enough, there was a podium with his lyrics. And I'm not sure if that is a Nudie suit or a knockoff, but Mike Mills has no business wearing it.

But Stipe's ironic detachment starts making me angry before the first chorus even hits. And then I see Buck jump up and down.... :(

kath

Postby kath » 02 Oct 2014, 21:15

clive gash wrote:I worked in a record shop when "Monster" came out, this was just off the back of the knock-'em-out-the-park success of "Automatic...". In the lunch hour of that Monday we must've sold 200 copies of the damn thing and throughout the rest of that week they all came back as the bespoke orange-tinted CD tray in each one was brittle enough to lose teeth at the slightest touch and the replacement black ones we had just didn't have the necessary modish allure. God dammit REM.

yes, how COULD they?

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 02 Oct 2014, 21:18

I know, Stipe's fat ass prob crushed 'em on the factory floor while aerobicizing :(

Needless to say we had the last laugh when replacement orange trays arrived just in time to miss the final refund.

kath

Postby kath » 02 Oct 2014, 21:19

nathan wrote:In all fairness, I decided to look on YouTube for a contemporary video of when I saw them to see if my memory was playing tricks on me.

Nope. That is one uncool looking band. And sure enough, there was a podium with his lyrics. And I'm not sure if that is a Nudie suit or a knockoff, but Mike Mills has no business wearing it.

But Stipe's ironic detachment starts making me angry before the first chorus even hits. And then I see Buck jump up and down.... :(

I'm curious. earlier you said they had some "fun singles" and were the modern dave clark five.

so are there any fun singles you would care to put up, or are you gonna stick with repeating yer hatred of the band live?

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 02 Oct 2014, 21:20

nathan wrote:True story: REM were the fist band that I saw live. They were touring behind Monster and clearly didn't give a shit. Stipe had to carry around his lyrics with him while running like a fucking moron from stage left to stage right consistently. He looked so stupid carrying around a bundle of papers everywhere. I think he painted his head too. It was totally dumb and the opposite of cool. The theme of the evening seemed to be these losers up on stage trying to be cool. Even when Stipe would put a foot up on a stage monitor to try and look cool, he would also be holding up his lyrics sheet and kill whatever shred of coolness he might have had. He also pointed the microphone at the crowd for half the choruses expecting us to sing them for him. Fuck you, you sing it! It's why I'm here for fuck's sake! And Mike Mills wore these godawful pants with a dragon on them. I was just embarrassed for him. He looked amazingly uncool. And I don't think I ever saw Buck. He was in the shadows duly playing along to whatever show Stipe thought he was trying to put on that clearly existed only in his head. Cool detachment? Incompetence? Boredom?

It certainly made me wonder what all the fuss was in going to see bands live in concert. Luckily, I soon went to see other bands and fell in love with music again. I have really hated REM ever since. Fuck them.

Bravo, man!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 02 Oct 2014, 21:22

The balder he got the worser their rot.

This is better than fine though

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 02 Oct 2014, 21:23

Not as good as Bill Oddie.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Oct 2014, 21:25

clive gash wrote:I worked in a record shop when "Monster" came out, this was just off the back of the knock-'em-out-the-park success of "Automatic...". In the lunch hour of that Monday we must've sold 200 copies of the damn thing and throughout the rest of that week they all came back as the bespoke orange-tinted CD tray in each one was brittle enough to lose teeth at the slightest touch and the replacement black ones we had just didn't have the necessary modish allure. God dammit REM.

I have no idea what the fuck you are on about.

I disliked Monster at the time but I think it's aged really well actually.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Oct 2014, 21:26

The G Experience! wrote:Not as good as Bill Oddie.

Bill oddie, Bill Oddie, put your hands all over my body

solly
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Oct 2014, 21:27

If I had to describe REM in one word, it would be "Quacoan."

Translated as Qua, Latin for "What the fuck?" with "Coan" meaning artfully disheveled while writing lyrics on the side as an English teacher in a far off Eastern European country.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 02 Oct 2014, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Return to “Yakety Yak”