The Thread About Depression (Serious)

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Re: The Thread About Depression (Serious)

Postby Loki » 11 Jun 2014, 21:48

Sam, are you OK?

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 23 Jun 2014, 15:06

Some days I'm fantastic. Some days, not good. I keep fighting the good fight. I'm married to someone who spent some of his career as a psych nurse, so I don't feel like I have to hide the real. In fact, I take some pride in showing how hard I do fight. How often I try to take into my own hands steering myself out of the rough waters.
I tell myself when things are bad that this is just a now, not an always. I've seen brighter days and I reach to find more again.
But because I'm low, I do find myself less impervious to getting rattled. Or, I'll react to challenging things in the moment with coolness and composure, but in time I become increasingly mentally icky.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 27 Jun 2014, 00:33

Sambient wrote: I take some pride in showing how hard I do fight. How often I try to take into my own hands steering myself out of the rough waters.
I tell myself when things are bad that this is just a now, not an always. I've seen brighter days and I reach to find more again.

You do seem to be pretty good at that. Atta girl. :)

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 27 Jun 2014, 04:59

Amen!

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 03 Jul 2014, 00:31

Thank you.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 24 Jul 2014, 05:06

The Coan Gang wrote:Been feeling anxious lately. Going to the docs on Monday. I'm going to ask him for an increased dosage of my meds.

Have you (or anyone here) ever tried a more holistic solution? I'm not saying you should go off your meds. But perhaps instead of an increase, Mindfulness could work as a booster. I've mentioned previously how I've heard testimony from people who stopped having panic attacks and all sorts when they learned how to manage their anxiety. Amazing stuff. Saved MY sanity, that's for sure.

Sorry I sound like a broken record. It's just hard to stay quiet when I know how people could benefit.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 29 Jul 2014, 21:35

No you're right Loki, i've done/currently still doing mind excerises, for want of a better description, and they do work. They can get me out of bad day if i do them right and often. I'd be kind lost without them some times.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 31 Jul 2014, 16:20

Just got my meds upped too.
And, though I've not made a move to seek counselling, I'm less resistant at the moment.
I've not historically been resistant to counselling. But when I was feeling hideous in our dark days of winter, I wasn't willing to go through the journey of my personal history etc, dredging up childhood etc and making myself worse in the process of making myself better when my hold was/is so tenuous.
And my other current argument has been that counselling doesn't undo any of the circumstance to which some of this depression may be attributed. But, I acknowledge, I could probably use some help framing things.

And after a nasty bout with overindulging the other day, I've gotten the message. Dial down the booze.
New personal mantra to hold on to for a little while, with things in general: Just because I can, doesn't mean I should.

I knew I was self-medicating with the alcohol, but I was needing some numbness. I knew it wasn't good, but I was just trying to get through. It made me think about how in our space travel stories, one of the concepts is the astronauts being put into a prolonged sleep state, suspended animation, until the destination is on the horizon.
That's where I was feeling I need to be. Just drifting until it's time. Riding it out.

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 03 Aug 2014, 13:18

Increased dosage helping.
Feeling more like myself.
Still taking a rest from the drinking.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 03 Aug 2014, 13:33

Sambient wrote:Just got my meds upped too.
And, though I've not made a move to seek counselling, I'm less resistant at the moment.
I've not historically been resistant to counselling. But when I was feeling hideous in our dark days of winter, I wasn't willing to go through the journey of my personal history etc, dredging up childhood etc and making myself worse in the process of making myself better when my hold was/is so tenuous.
And my other current argument has been that counselling doesn't undo any of the circumstance to which some of this depression may be attributed. But, I acknowledge, I could probably use some help framing things.

It sounds solid to me to have someone who can point the way forward and be more than a willing ear for you to speak into.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 04 Sep 2014, 21:39

I read Jon K's message this morning on Facebook.....

Hi Update time . I am not going to be here for some time I am currently suffering with severe depression. If I am honest I no longer want to be here not just facebook nowhere life the lot> Sorry if that upsets people but this has been coming for quite a while. You really have no idea how bad this is and I would never wish this on anyone. I will not be replying to ANYONE AT ALL I have no idea if I will be back or if I will be here I am leaving the other pages on as I have commitments to others so that is why I am on here or appear to be one here but really I am not here I do appreciate the concern and comments but I will not see them or be answering anything at all so please do not post anything to me or anything else I will not see it

I met Jon several times and he's a great bloke- through his update I can see he is doing what he loves best and yet- depression can strike you down at any time.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 04 Sep 2014, 23:36

never/ever wrote:I read Jon K's message this morning on Facebook.....

Hi Update time . I am not going to be here for some time I am currently suffering with severe depression. If I am honest I no longer want to be here not just facebook nowhere life the lot> Sorry if that upsets people but this has been coming for quite a while. You really have no idea how bad this is and I would never wish this on anyone. I will not be replying to ANYONE AT ALL I have no idea if I will be back or if I will be here I am leaving the other pages on as I have commitments to others so that is why I am on here or appear to be one here but really I am not here I do appreciate the concern and comments but I will not see them or be answering anything at all so please do not post anything to me or anything else I will not see it

I met Jon several times and he's a great bloke- through his update I can see he is doing what he loves best and yet- depression can strike you down at any time.

Jesus God, that sounds pretty serious. Is anyone in touch with him (I mean not through here or Fb)?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 04 Sep 2014, 23:46

I only know him from his posts here. I sincerely hope he is okay.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 05 Sep 2014, 00:07

Me too.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 05 Sep 2014, 08:29

I feel for him, that sounds grim :(

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Sep 2014, 13:46

Puts things in perspective.

I really hope he's getting the right kind of help.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 05 Sep 2014, 13:50

Goat Boy wrote:Puts things in perspective.

I really hope he's getting the right kind of help.

I hope so too. It's been very much on my mind today.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 05 Sep 2014, 19:35

christ, hope he's ok
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 06 Sep 2014, 12:40

I am posting this on behalf of Jon. I just spoke with him and, although, he may sound fine on his radio show, which is pre recorded weeks earlier, he is not fine. He wants to thank everyone for the nice messages and for thinking of him, but he needs some time away for rest as he is in an awful state of mind. I can't tell you how long this will take for him to feel that he is ready to be social, but he thanks you for understanding and your kind words. Just so you know he is seeking help

Posted by Jill Maciel.

Makes me feel better to know he is getting help.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 06 Sep 2014, 14:45

Thanks for that, never/ever.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”