Server move - done!

General site news. Details of forthcoming outages and so on.
JQW

Server move - done!

Postby JQW » 27 Feb 2014, 16:32

This site will be moving to another server soon. I was notified a few weeks ago that this move would be on March 12th, but as of yet haven't received a final confirmation as to precisely when on that date the move will take place. The move will also upgrade various bits of the back-end software used by this site.

Suffice to say the site will be down for some time, and there may be some software compatibility issues once the site is back up and running.

I'll update this thread once I receive a full confirmation of the upgrade schedule.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

JQW

Re: Server move - probably March 12th.

Postby JQW » 11 Mar 2014, 21:49

Unfortunately I've still not received a confirmation E-mail detailing exactly when move is taking place, or how long it will take, and as far as I'm concerned that is still scheduled for tomorrow.

I'll attempt to get this thread updated tomorrow morning as soon as I receive the relevant information, but as I will not have internet access for the whole of the day I can't guarantee that I'll be able to post it prior to the site going off line.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 12 Mar 2014, 01:25

It's all good Paul. We're a thankful and patient lot.

Hope it all goes well.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 12 Mar 2014, 14:43

My mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 Mar 2014, 20:27

Wouldn't it be a coincidence if Prog Corner Part 2 disappeared into the ether like Part 1 did so amazingly all that time ago....

;)
Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

JQW

Re: Server move - who knows when!

Postby JQW » 12 Mar 2014, 21:08

Well, the move hasn't gone ahead today, unless they're doing it this evening without letting me know.

JQW

Postby JQW » 13 Mar 2014, 18:27

We are now running on the new server. Some posts made after about 17:30 today before the site went down could have been lost.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 13 Mar 2014, 20:00

JQW wrote:We are now running on the new server. Some posts made after about 17:30 today before the site went down could have been lost.

ya know, at right about that time, i posted a fifty-page history and analysis of the band queen...

damn.

purgatory brite

Re: Server move - done!

Postby purgatory brite » 13 Mar 2014, 22:23

What would we do without you Jethro?

:D

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 14 Mar 2014, 02:17

Yay!

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 14 Mar 2014, 08:55

Glad we're back. Thanks, Jethro!

However, I do note one point. The homepage at http://www.bcb-board.co.uk/ , which previously showed a menu page, now displays a generic 34sp.com "This domain has been registered" page. You might want to look at this.

Footy
Filler

Postby Footy » 14 Mar 2014, 11:35

So glad we're back, thanks Paul.

FB is such a pale shadow of this place.
Grab your coat sweetheart....I've got a knife.

JQW

Postby JQW » 14 Mar 2014, 12:43

the masked man wrote:Glad we're back. Thanks, Jethro!

However, I do note one point. The homepage at http://www.bcb-board.co.uk/ , which previously showed a menu page, now displays a generic 34sp.com "This domain has been registered" page. You might want to look at this.

I'll take a look this afternoon. The landing page may need to be re-created.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 14 Mar 2014, 15:51

Thanks, as always: there may be many mansions here, but what would we do without BCB?

:D

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 14 Mar 2014, 16:45

well obviously I'm pleased it's back, but it's literally in the last half hour for me - how come it was so much earlier for others (and uyes, I have been checking every half hour or so like the lonely loser I am
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

JQW

Postby JQW » 14 Mar 2014, 20:26

It's all down to DNS, the distributed internet service that maps machine names to IP addresses.

To cut down on traffic, when you obtain the IP address of a given machine from a DNS server, you're also given a 'time-to-live' value which determines how long that IP address lives for before you need to look it up again.

In this case the 'time-to-live' is 86400 seconds, otherwise a whole day, so it can take up to a day before everyone has managed to obtain the new IP address.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 14 Mar 2014, 23:21

JQW wrote:It's all down to DNS, the distributed internet service that maps machine names to IP addresses.

To cut down on traffic, when you obtain the IP address of a given machine from a DNS server, you're also given a 'time-to-live' value which determines how long that IP address lives for before you need to look it up again.

In this case the 'time-to-live' is 86400 seconds, otherwise a whole day, so it can take up to a day before everyone has managed to obtain the new IP address.

Thank you! I wasn't actually expecting an answer, but that does make perfect sense. As I've mentioned elsewhere, today's been a strange day, and I thought I was just being picked out by fate
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 15 Mar 2014, 08:37

There seems to have been a number of problems with people submitting lists of Youtube links via PM for the Prog Cup since the server move. It seems as if the spam filter is automatically blocking these lists.

More seriously, Yomptepi reports that he has been locked out of BCB overnight and still can't access it. Originally he was getting the standard 'Forbidden' message, but now he just gets " Google Chrome could not connect to www.bcb-board.co.uk.
Try reloading the page".

I've looked at his profile and permissions and I can't see anything amiss there. Thoughts, JQW? Anyone?

JQW

Postby JQW » 15 Mar 2014, 15:36

I'm puzzled at the moment.

The new server has a different version of the admin control panel to the old one, and I'm still working through it. Perhaps there's options built in somewhere to control filtering?

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 15 Mar 2014, 16:17

One person reports that his Prog Cup list initially triggered the filter, but when he re-sent it, it went through without a problem. Very strange!

Return to “Site News”