Their reputation will die with their audience

Do talk back
Quaco
F R double E

Re: Their reputation will die with their audience

Postby Quaco » 12 Mar 2014, 21:17

Is it supposed to mean someone who was very good for their first two years and then was very bad thereafter? (There is probably some musician you can say that about. Paul Weller?)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Mar 2014, 21:19

Quaco wrote:Is it supposed to mean someone who was very good for their first two years and then was very bad thereafter? (There is probably some musician you can say that about. Paul Weller?)

I'm beginning to get a bit of a complex with you James? Weller has made tons of good music recently. How much have you listened to?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 12 Mar 2014, 21:21

Not a good example, I was just trying to think of someone. I don't know his recent good stuff, actually!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Mar 2014, 21:24

Quaco wrote:Not a good example, I was just trying to think of someone. I don't know his recent good stuff, actually!

Try "As Is Now" "22 Dreams" and "Wake Up The Nation".
Cocaine

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 12 Mar 2014, 21:29

Surely it hasn't been 40 years since The 3 Amigos!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 12 Mar 2014, 21:35

He was quite good in Community just last year.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 12 Mar 2014, 23:24

VRZ Robotz wrote:No. I am seriously trying to suggest that calling anyone "The Chevy Chase of Rock" is idiotic.

Why would you "seriously try to suggest" that? Do you not understand the analogy, or do you disagree with it? If you consider what Clapton has done for over the last 40 years to be "successful" based on sales figures, then yeah, I suppose so; if it's musical merit, then I'll just take your word for it.

Quaco wrote:Is it supposed to mean someone who was very good for their first two years and then was very bad thereafter?

Close. I meant they're both marginally talented in their chosen fields, yet somehow they've both been given this "legendary" status that they've been able to ride out for decades, based on what I would call pretty flimsy evidence. Not that they were once great and became bad, but that they were never all that in the first place. I blame stoned audiences, combined with the power of suggestion. Lucky timing had a lot to do with it too - people were looking for something, these guys weren't it, but people thought it was close enough and played along. Next thing you know, Clapton is God, and Chevy Chase is a comic genius. Nice work if you can get it.

Voice of Baron wrote:Surely it hasn't been 40 years since The 3 Amigos!

Heck, it's been over 40 years since Lemmings!

bobzilla77 wrote:He was quite good in Community just last year.

Yeah. Playing an asshole. :lol:
Last edited by zoomboogity on 12 Mar 2014, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

"Quite."

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 12 Mar 2014, 23:31

Nice metaphor defense!
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 12 Mar 2014, 23:32

The Dead?

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Mar 2014, 23:33

zoomboogity is the Chevy Chase of BCB.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 12 Mar 2014, 23:36

:lol: "...and you can get it if you try!"

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 13 Mar 2014, 07:02

Just went to YouTube and searched Eric Clapton cover. Saw the cast of Glee singing "Pretending", John Mayer and some American Idol guy covering "Old Love" with an American Idol dude, about a million folks singing "Tears In Heaven" in tribute to one person or another, and countless other videos of kids singing his songs and aping his
guitar licks. That was 30 seconds of looking.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Postby ... » 13 Mar 2014, 08:36

VRZ Robotz wrote:
Just went to YouTube and searched Eric Clapton cover. Saw the cast of Glee singing "Pretending", John Mayer and some American Idol guy covering "Old Love" with an American Idol dude, about a million folks singing "Tears In Heaven" in tribute to one person or another, and countless other videos of kids singing his songs and aping his

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Mar 2014, 08:54

VRZ Robotz wrote:Just went to YouTube and searched Eric Clapton cover. Saw the cast of Glee singing "Pretending", John Mayer and some American Idol guy covering "Old Love" with an American Idol dude, about a million folks singing "Tears In Heaven" in tribute to one person or another, and countless other videos of kids singing his songs and aping his

Right. So YouTube hits is now a reliable measure of artistic merit?

I'll have to take your word on that one.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 13 Mar 2014, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
Cocaine

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 13 Mar 2014, 09:10

Quaco wrote:The Dead?

I wouldn't be surprised, because they were very much a live band, never made a truly great studio album, and were very much of their place and time. While they may have some historical appeal in the future for those who thought the late 1960s meant something, I can't see music lovers working their way through Dick's picks.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and suggest that in 50 years time hardly any young people will be listening to any acts from the second half of the 20th century. The Beatles, probably. Maybe Dylan.

It's nothing to do with how good people are, just the relentless churn of culture.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Mar 2014, 09:23

Yet we're 52 years on from The Beatles first record, and they're still hugely popular.

I think many are under-estmating the long term appeal of music from the 50s onwards - it's already 60 years old and still revered. What makes you think that clamour will drop off dramatically in the upcoming 40 years or so?
Cocaine

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 13 Mar 2014, 09:23

There are lots of different factors, but a lot of it depends on what the culture industry decides is important. In 50 years time I wouldn't be surprised if post-war pop music isn't fully integrated into academia as a subject of serious study in the same way art or film are now. In that sense what young people will be listening to is a bit of an irrelevance -after all they are not in the main listening to Beethoven now or watching the films of Carl Dreyer now either, but those things have been enshrined in a canon of importance for the ages.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Mar 2014, 09:27

I once saw the cast of Glee singing an REO Speedwagon tune. It was awesome!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Postby ... » 13 Mar 2014, 09:27

Rayge wrote:
Quaco wrote:The Dead?

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and suggest that in 50 years time hardly any young people will be listening to any acts from the second half of the 20th century. The Beatles, probably. Maybe Dylan.

It's nothing to do with how good people are, just the relentless churn of culture.

No real going out on a limb about it, Rayge, what you say is pretty much on the money.

Both myself and Guy E - to mention but two posters - have said pretty much the same thing in earlier posts but the original thread seems to have descended into a Yes/No discussion of the enduring artistic legacy of Eric Clapton and the role of T-shirts as barometers of continuing musical relevance.

While the worthwhile stuff will survive, the lightweight stuff almost certainly won't. Just like things from our parents and grandparents' era.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 13 Mar 2014, 11:11

Diamond Dog wrote:Yet we're 52 years on from The Beatles first record, and they're still hugely popular.

I think many are under-estimating the long term appeal of music from the 50s onwards - it's already 60 years old and still revered. What makes you think that clamour will drop off dramatically in the upcoming 40 years or so?

I don't know of any band or act from the ’50s, and the ’50s alone, who are revered by teenagers and people in their early 20s.
I think there's a difference between serious musicologists working on histories, and people in general.
What makes me think that the clamour will drop off in the next 50 years is that a lot of their current fans will be dead, there will be any number of new diversions and technologies invented over the next half-century and the world will be unimaginably different. That's what I mean by the churn of popular culture.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Return to “Yakety Yak”