IT trade fairs
13%
Stevenage
1%

Total votes: 77

Bungo the Mungo

most boring things ever

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 08 Mar 2014, 19:40

After hours of painstaking research, I've managed to come up with the definitive list of the ten most boring things in the world, ever.

Choose three.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Re: most boring things ever

Postby yomptepi » 08 Mar 2014, 19:42

You didn't put golf on that list.
You don't like me...do you?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 08 Mar 2014, 20:13

I voted for sports commentators and LOTR movies.

The rest ether don't apply because I never experience them - or I don't know what they are (Stevenage?).

Things like waiting rooms don't bug me because I can either doze or read whatever book I've brought.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 08 Mar 2014, 20:18

I went for Lord Of The Rings films and IT trade fairs, I've never been to the latter but I'm prepared to accept they're very boring indeed.
The rest I either quite like or they don't bother me (I'm anti-monarchy, but not because I regard the queen as boring).
The most boring thing in the world is marking BTEC assignments ..which I'm currently doing on a Saturday night. :x

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 08 Mar 2014, 21:12

lol Top Gear

I also went with Sports Commentators and LOTR.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 08 Mar 2014, 22:18

I went to Stevenage last year for a football match. There is a quite interesting cycle path scheme there.
Fishstick selling fuck

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 08 Mar 2014, 22:52

i went with ...

1. IT trade fairs (the inherent anti-kathishness just cannot be expressed fully)

2. doc waiting rooms (maybe becuz i have been in so many of em, so many times)

and

3. sports commentators (i hafta qualify this one. there are some sports commentators who are great at what they do, knowledgeable, on top of things *and* engaging, funny as hell. however, there are many more who just rampantly suck, especially those who feel the need to yap over every single second of airtime, even when it's so blatantly obvious that there is no reason for em to be sayin whatever's flyin out their faces. some of those types luvv to hear themselves talk sooo much, they'll be goin on about their uncle juanita's puckectomy right over the most important moments of the game. ptooey.)

p.s. it bums me out that so many people are choosing lord of the rings. sniffle. i guess i'll just take my widdle armor and my widdle collection of weapons and my... my... widdle beard and go live in there all by myself. yer all orcses.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 08 Mar 2014, 23:28

I am off at this moment to submit myself to the most boring thing I need to do all year: a graduation ceremony.
Question authority.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 09 Mar 2014, 00:02

Jimbo2 wrote:I am off at this moment to submit myself to the most boring thing I need to do all year: a graduation ceremony.

oh god. i remember those. you've made me remember those. in my case, having to attend as a representative of a certain uni, having to wear that stoopit, hot crap... having to sit thru the entire graduating class in all fields.. i swear, it felt like an entire phone book of names being read out... along with the people getting post-grad degrees... the gotdamn endless speechifying. i never actually fell asleep at one of those things, but i came damn near close to it on many occasions.

i came close to fallin asleep at my own graduations. at least for the masters it was interesting, cuz i was 8 months plus pregnant, and ready to pop onstage. for days before it, i'd been threatenin to do just that. (as if i could go into labor on cue.) chi chi brought a camcorder, just in case.

the only graduation i ever attended that turned out to be a blast: chi chi's graduation from med school. she got plastered on champagne before we even left the house. we were all a lil juiced up, cept my brother. chi chi was singin during the drive there. (my ma, trying to act stern: "helen elizabeth!!") after we got there, chi chi merrily zigzagged off to her section and we found our seats. half the fun was trying to predict what kinda shape the chi would be in for her ceremonial appearance.

she was easy to spot when she filed out. there were only a handful of women graduating back then, to begin with. but well, chi chi had apparently lost her cap somewhere backstage. so imagine all these tall, strapping guys filing past in dignified manner, and then what looked like a gap between two of em. wait... look down some (my sister's a midget)... blinding blonde hair loose and everywhere... yepppp. she was beaming away, walkin like she was second-linin at a sunday brunch. when she spotted us, she waved happily and yelled out sumthin we couldn't hear. (never did find out what that was, as she couldn't remember it, either.) she hugged the guy who handed her the degree. we hit commander's afterwards. a wunnerful night. much fun was had by all.

i will try to think of that night, instead of all the other graduations. i think i would rather sit in a dentist's chair, honestly.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Mar 2014, 02:42

No way in hell are newspapers boring, what are you, an ostrich? Other than that, fine research, and your first findings I find exceedingly boring.

Top of the list would be Doctor's waiting rooms (never anything good to read, and the people are rather pathetic to study)
Bored of the Rings - now I like Conan the comic, but most fantasy is just stupefyingly boring and uncool.

and prog rock - why that could soundtrack a screening of Bored of the Rings - in a Doctor's waiting room, triple whammy!
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 09 Mar 2014, 05:57

Did you have these AOL "free internet minutes" CDs in the U.K.?

Definitely one of the most boring things ever, along with Poco and bulk chocolates from 1993.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 09 Mar 2014, 08:37

kath wrote:
Jimbo2 wrote: it felt like an entire phone book of names being read out...

Not quite that many at mine today. There were only seven grads but no pomp was spared. It went from 10 am to 3:30. Holy fuck was it boring.
Question authority.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 09 Mar 2014, 10:05

Most easy-peasy poll in a long time and really a boost for my self-confidence, mr Coan sir:

1. IT trade fairs

2. LOTR

3. Top Gear

(it beggars belief that anyone ever would want to watch Top Gear out of his/her own free will)
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Betty Denim

Postby Betty Denim » 09 Mar 2014, 10:10

Sea Of Tunes v2.0 wrote:Most easy-peasy poll in a long time and really a boost for my self-confidence, mr Coan sir:

1. IT trade fairs

2. LOTR

3. Top Gear

(it beggars belief that anyone ever would want to watch Top Gear out of his/her own free will)

I chose those three too.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 09 Mar 2014, 10:15

Ten more boring things that John's 'most boring' things...

* Waiting for a delayed train/bus
* Songs Of Praise
* Golf
* Any Adam Sandler/Jim Carrey-movie
* People complaining about the evil stuff Piers Morgan/Sarah Palin/Republicans/Tea Party/NRA (etc) say
* Vladimir Putin's half-naked pictures.
* Rallyriding/NHRA
* TV-series filled with zombies/vampires/da supernatural
* Life insurance commercials
* Having no Footy-option in polls.....
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 09 Mar 2014, 11:59

never/ever wrote:Ten more boring things that John's 'most boring' things...

* Waiting for a delayed train/bus
* Songs Of Praise
* Golf
* Any Adam Sandler/Jim Carrey-movie
* People complaining about the evil stuff Piers Morgan/Sarah Palin/Republicans/Tea Party/NRA (etc) say
* Vladimir Putin's half-naked pictures.
* Rallyriding/NHRA
* TV-series filled with zombies/vampires/da supernatural
* Life insurance commercials
* Having no Footy-option in polls.....

Songs of Praise I'll give you. Maybe golf (but mainly 'cos you're the second person to mention it). The rest are bearable at worst.

The 'Footy option' is just one example of how toe-curlingly tedious and unfunny BCB in-jokes can be (the Edwin Starr thing is another).

JQW

Postby JQW » 09 Mar 2014, 13:46

I've only ever been to one IT trade fair, and it was probably worse than anyone could imagine.

It was an annual bash dedicated to local area networking, held at the NEC in Birmingham, aimed at company management, and running for a whole week. My then employer always exhibited on our main supplier's stand, showing off various dull thing to suits, such as mainframe connectivity and E-mail programs.

The year I attended was the year our supplier was in the process of releasing proper support for Windows 3.0, so that will date it to 1991 or 1992, and several years before the internet. It was also several years before Microsoft became dominant, and before Linux took hold, so there were many software companies touting their wares, as well as the usual hardware behemoths. As the main customers were company suits, usually IT illiterate ones, companies stooped low to get themselves noticed.

The low-light was one company who prided themselves in being able to support networks of any size, from a small single office to a large multinational. So naturally they had rubbish 'comedians' Little & Large on their stand.

Another, for reasons that weren't clear, had a large Scalextric track on their stand, and had roped in Murray Walker to offer some commentary, although not on the day I attended.

Another prided themselves on being able to network a lot of PCs together without problems, and had built a wall of 100 connected PCs arranged in a 10 x 10 grid, which showed promotional gubbins synchronised across all 100 screens. It resembled that dire gameshow that Michael Barrymore presented at the time, probably intentionally.

Then there was the stand that resided opposite ours, run by a company named Artisoft, which didn't seem to receive a single visitor all day. Perhaps it was due to their product being aimed purely at small businesses, or perhaps it was due to their then logo making their name read as 'Fartisoft'.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 09 Mar 2014, 14:06

Quaco wrote:Did you have these AOL "free internet minutes" CDs in the U.K.?

Definitely one of the most boring things ever, along with Poco and bulk chocolates from 1993.

At one point you couldn't open a magazine in the UK without one of those discs falling out. And they were constantly being pushed through my door with the post. It felt like AOL was entreating me to join a cult and it was never going to let me forget about their existence.

I read a stat that at one point AOL was responsible for producing something like 25% of all CDs being manufactured in the world.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 09 Mar 2014, 14:19

All of a sudden I am thinking about dial-up connections, and the sound of a modem is penetrating my mind as I am typing this.

Help.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 09 Mar 2014, 14:38

never/ever wrote:* People complaining about the evil stuff Piers Morgan/Sarah Palin/Republicans/Tea Party/NRA (etc) say

Politics in general. UGH.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Return to “Nextdoorland”