BCB Cup 2014 - The Final! Sgt Pepper is new champ!

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Re: BCB Cup 2014 - The Final!

Postby PENK » 05 Mar 2014, 16:53

Both are mainly my thing and there is little wrong putting of feet here, although I don't think either list has saved their absolute strongest hand for the final.
There has to be a winner, though. For me it's A. But it's by the narrowest whisker, goddammit.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 05 Mar 2014, 17:04

Now here's the thing. I have enjoyed the new format for most of this competition, but now it seems to be ruining these lists for me. I can't be sure, but I have probably voted for both of them a fair few times and both are packed with songs I like, but I am just so so bored of them, even my very favourites, that I find myself being drawn solely to any sense of variety (good or bad).
For me A should be a surefire winner, but scanning down it again and listening to all the songs again, I just don't need to hear them anymore.
There is no question that A would be my preferred list if this was the first round, but listening to them both straight through today, B was just more interesting. Not better by any stretch but just more 'different'. And at this stage in this format, that wins.
I applaud Andrew bringing in the new format and I think it generally worked well and eradicated a lot of the gripes from previous years, but there is a point when people have to be allowed to add to their list or shuffle it to keep it vibrant rather than just substituting a few songs here and there.
There are more favourites on A, there are more songs I don't like on B and despite that B wins because of the format of the cup. Sorry A, it is not your fault. Congrats B.

B
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

watts

Postby watts » 05 Mar 2014, 17:23

Nikki Gradual wrote:Now here's the thing. I have enjoyed the new format for most of this competition, but now it seems to be ruining these lists for me. I can't be sure, but I have probably voted for both of them a fair few times and both are packed with songs I like, but I am just so so bored of them, even my very favourites, that I find myself being drawn solely to any sense of variety (good or bad).
For me A should be a surefire winner, but scanning down it again and listening to all the songs again, I just don't need to hear them anymore.
There is no question that A would be my preferred list if this was the first round, but listening to them both straight through today, B was just more interesting. Not better by any stretch but just more 'different'. And at this stage in this format, that wins.
I applaud Andrew bringing in the new format and I think it generally worked well and eradicated a lot of the gripes from previous years, but there is a point when people have to be allowed to add to their list or shuffle it to keep it vibrant rather than just substituting a few songs here and there.

That is more or less exactly my reaction Nikki, although I went with A over B because what I liked on A I liked "more" than what I liked on B in general.

I thought the final round should have had all the songs from both lists go head to head...but with the "take out one to five tracks" thing it might have been uneven.

FWIW which is probably nothing, I did not like the new format. It was fun as a time killer, but I don't feel like it was THE CUP.

Were I to design the cup myself, I'd have ten tracks per round, and each round the winners would submit ten all NEW songs....then the final round would be the full lists going against each other.
--m

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 05 Mar 2014, 19:03

A
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

CatnHat

Postby CatnHat » 05 Mar 2014, 19:18

A
Beebsy wrote: I make up for it but being very funny, witty and having large boobs.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 05 Mar 2014, 20:53

B
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 05 Mar 2014, 20:54

Is it too late for me to play my joker?

:lol:
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 05 Mar 2014, 21:25

Well played by the sarge, a good list that had my vote in the earlier rounds.

Congrats to a worthy champion hip! hip!

I feel blessed that I made it all this way, thanks for clutching me to your BCBbosom.

I went for it and overreached I think, my first round list was better than my final offering.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 05 Mar 2014, 21:27

I had to check this twice because it was so close, but my initial count was true. Before I announce the winner, I just want to congratulate both finalists for creating such a good final. But it ended A -29, B -26, and A was brand new champ Sgt Pepper! Bad luck, Clive Gash! So near and yet so far...

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Re: BCB Cup 2014 - The Final! Sgt Pepper is new champ!

Postby Butch Manly » 05 Mar 2014, 21:34

Well done to both for two spiffing lists.

Congrats to SP; commiserations to CG - it really was a close call!

Finally, a hearty thanks to Andrew for all his considerable efforts.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 05 Mar 2014, 21:34

Yes, cheers Andrew. It was fun!

Jed Clampett

Postby Jed Clampett » 05 Mar 2014, 21:36

Congratulations Lovely Rita, Meter Maid

Thanks to Andrew - sterling work
Last edited by Jed Clampett on 05 Mar 2014, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
"It makes me itch to think of myself as Captain Beefheart. I don't even have a boat."

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 05 Mar 2014, 21:36

Great work Andrew! Take a well deserved bow (and a bit of rest).

And congrats to both Sgt. Pepper and Clive- it was a good fight throughout.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 05 Mar 2014, 21:42

Congrats to the finalists, and esp. to the winner, Sgt. Pepper. :)

And a big hand to Andrew, who did a fantastic job, as always!

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 05 Mar 2014, 21:47

Well done Sgt P! And gracious conceding from clive.

Good show, Andy.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 05 Mar 2014, 22:43

Excellent Duncan.well done!
Unlikely Nev -those Die Anderen chaps are rather unreliable and let you down, but never mind.

Duncan

Postby Duncan » 05 Mar 2014, 23:33

Good Heavens BCB, what have you gone and done?

This is definitely my biggest achievement since I won tickets for Ghostbusters 2 in the Nottingham Evening Post's Under 10's Design Your Own Ghost competition, so thanks to everyone who voted for me or said something vaguely nice at some point along the journey. Mostly I'm just happy that I managed to sneak a Drexciya track through three rounds.

Well played Gash, I dig your list and I thought you had me this afternoon. I had a killer Echobelly track lined up for the play-off tie, just in case. And cheers to Andrew for your patience and for doing a top job as usual.
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb...

fange

Postby fange » 06 Mar 2014, 00:24

Well done, D!

I hope you don't mind but i'm taking this as a win for the whole of mix club. :D

The Modernist wrote:Unlikely Nev -those Die Anderen chaps are rather unreliable and let you down, but never mind.

Yep, i think this was the one that might have cost you, Nev, especially as a lead-off track. Bad luck here, but very well played.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 06 Mar 2014, 01:55

Congrats Sgt Pepper and bad luck Clive.

Although neither list was really my kind of thing, its hard work to get to the final, so well done to both of you.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 06 Mar 2014, 06:35

Congratulations to both!
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod