61%
Walker
39%

Total votes: 44

sloopjohnc

Re: Laura Nyro vs. Scott Walker

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Jun 2013, 15:27

Thesiger wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:The Brits love Scott Walker.

Many of us can't see any merit in the guy.

You love him - you just don't know it yet.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Jun 2013, 15:52

mantochanga wrote:Eli and the Thirteenth Confession is a better starting point than NYT.

That album is a tour de force, an inspirational demonstration of genius and talent. And fun to boot.

I think the songs on Eli are slightly harder to digest than those on NYT. The latter is a bit smoother and hangs together better as an album imo.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Zeke

Postby Zeke » 12 Jun 2013, 17:43

It's all well and good to give our opinions but ultimately it's all futile, isn't it? I mean none of it can be considered definitive, right? And what good is a poll going to do? It's just a popularity contest.

It's not as though any of us are qualified to answer this question so why waste our time. It's not as though any of us are gigging musicians after all. If only we had a qualified professional in our midst to settle the matter!

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Jun 2013, 17:46

Close the board down. We are unqualified.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Jun 2013, 17:51

Scott Walker = atheism
Laura Nyro = spirituality

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Jun 2013, 17:52

I think we can settle the question of which artist was more original pretty easily.

What artists would you point to as precedents for Nyro? Then do the same for Walker.

Hint: It is a lot easier for one of them than the other.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Jun 2013, 18:04

Dizzley tha Fat Boy wrote:I think we can settle the question of which artist was more original pretty easily.

What artists would you point to as precedents for Nyro? Then do the same for Walker.

In all seriousness, that's one the main criteria.

Walker is original in his own way, but he's basically expanding on a theme.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 12 Jun 2013, 18:29

mantochanga wrote:
Nyro - it's Ethel Merman on crystal meth!

:lol:
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 12 Jun 2013, 18:34

Dizzley tha Fat Boy wrote:I think we can settle the question of which artist was more original pretty easily.

That's rich coming from someone who constantly says how much YY overvalue originality and innovation in music. That's one of your main themes!

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 12 Jun 2013, 18:35

sloopjohnc wrote:Scott Walker = atheism

Meaningless.

mantochanga

Postby mantochanga » 12 Jun 2013, 18:41

The G Experience! wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:Scott Walker = atheism

Meaningless.

Switch 'atheism' for 'existentialism' and we're on to something!

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 12 Jun 2013, 18:42

I can't really get with a lot of the meat-bashing era Scott but the run of 4 solo LPs competes with the best of anyone, any time. There's more as well - the likes of Archangel and The Electrician by the Walker Brothers are perfect as well. Nyro is a relatively (last 5 years) one for me and I like her quite a lot; she's very idiosyncratic and clearly a talent - and, to these modern ears, at times as "difficult" a listen in her own way as Scott.

Still, Walker, er, walks it.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Jun 2013, 19:20

The G Experience! wrote:

That's rich coming from someone who constantly says how much YY overvalue originality and innovation in music. That's one of your main themes!

I was answering the criteria you set. You said Walker was the more original artist. I'm challenging you on that assertion. How much I personally value originality and innovation are beside the point.

mantochanga

Postby mantochanga » 12 Jun 2013, 19:35

Goat Boy wrote:
mantochanga wrote:Eli and the Thirteenth Confession is a better starting point than NYT.

That album is a tour de force, an inspirational demonstration of genius and talent. And fun to boot.

I think the songs on Eli are slightly harder to digest than those on NYT. The latter is a bit smoother and hangs together better as an album imo.

I respect your point of view, and you may be right, most of my Nyro-lovin' friends would agree with you. But when I want to prove to friends that Laura Nyro is one of the most talented people ever to walk into a recording studio, I play them Timer. Every single line of that song is a new idea, and it really swings.

You picked out NYT's key tracks earlier, and of these I'd single out Captain For Dark Mornings. That's absolutely undeniable too.

For the sake of balance, Such A Small Love, Montague Terrace, and Angels of Ashes absolutely slay me too. I voted Nyro, but I don't like to see the genius who came up with these timeless gems get put down.

Next up: Gary Leeds and The Rain vs Goldie and the Gingerbreads

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Jun 2013, 21:13

Elton says some nice things about Laura here....

Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Jun 2013, 21:18

mantochanga wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:

I respect your point of view, and you may be right, most of my Nyro-lovin' friends would agree with you. But when I want to prove to friends that Laura Nyro is one of the most talented people ever to walk into a recording studio, I play them Timer. Every single line of that song is a new idea, and it really swings.

You picked out NYT's key tracks earlier, and of these I'd single out Captain For Dark Mornings. That's absolutely undeniable too.

For the sake of balance, Such A Small Love, Montague Terrace, and Angels of Ashes absolutely slay me too. I voted Nyro, but I don't like to see the genius who came up with these timeless gems get put down.

Next up: Gary Leeds and The Rain vs Goldie and the Gingerbreads

I listened to NYT on the bus home from work and the song that stood out today was Captain Saint Lucifer. I think that's a fascinating track but it took me a while to fully 'get' it. I think it's incredible these days. That double whammy with the title track is sublime. As good as some of Walkers songs are from that period none really come close in terms of complexity or uniqueness.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 12 Jun 2013, 22:27

I really like Scott Walker's first four, and I actually like his more recent avant garde output as well, whereas Nyro never really grabbed ahold of my ears. But this thread inspired me to whip out my copy of New York Tendaberry, and I gotta say, for the first time, it's really hitting the spot (especially the second side), and its making me want to check out more (I've also got a copy of Eli, so that's next). Thanks BCB!
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

der nister

Postby der nister » 12 Jun 2013, 22:47

Nolamike wrote:I really like Scott Walker's first four, and I actually like his more recent avant garde output as well, whereas Nyro never really grabbed ahold of my ears. But this thread inspired me to whip out my copy of New York Tendaberry, and I gotta say, for the first time, it's really hitting the spot (especially the second side), and its making me want to check out more (I've also got a copy of Eli, so that's next). Thanks BCB!

I think that is the power of these VS. threads
the power to consider or reconsider an artist
the passion espoused (for the artists)
is invaluable, even if one does not recognize it
months or a year down the line you might find yourself checking
something out you never would have considered
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 28 Sep 2017, 08:08

The Modernist wrote:I'm not sure I'd agree Nyro is "very natural" either. When I bought New York Tendaberry all those years ago, one of the things I was expecting was a certain natural soulfulness because I'd read about her in those terms. I was slightly nonplussed therefore to hear what appeared to be these strident and hammy show tunes. There was something histrionic about the whole thing.
I could never get into the album at all and at the time I really tried. I've not really been back to her since.
In a way I'd have preferred this thread to just be about her as I'm burned out trying to defend Walker on here these days, but I am still open to the idea of Laura Nyro. I wonder if I just started with the wrong album.

I've been getting into Laura Nyro recently, and I have to say that her first album, More than a New Discovery and her second Eli and the Thirteenth Confession hit me harder than her subsequent records. ...New Discovery occasionally suffers from what could be described as an overly precocious mindset (she was in her teens after all), but the songwriting, from the swinging "Wedding Bell Blues", the strident "Stoney End", and the smokey "Billy's Blues" manage to create a real sense of atmosphere and verve. Eli...occasionally wanders all over the place, but it probably hits higher heights, whether it's the surprisingly laidback "Stoned Soul Picnic", the nervy "Eli's Coming" and the spiky "Lucky", to name ones that just come to mind. I suppose there is something overly brassy and theatrical to her approach at times, but when it hits in the right mood, it really is quite something.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 28 Sep 2017, 08:21

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Meanwhile the list of artists who have acknowledged her influence includes the likes of Elton John, Joni Mitchell (who never admits to being influenced by anyone not black and 20 years older), Todd Rundgren, Elvis Costello, Rickie Lee Jones and Steely Dan.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Return to “Yakety Yak”