12%
No
88%

Total votes: 25

Magilla
Otago Mago

Re: Why British police don’t have guns

Postby Magilla » 20 Sep 2012, 07:04

The NZ police don't have guns either and as with Britain it remains shocking rather than routine when a police officer is killed (only 33 in our history).

I'm against arming the police because I'm against "uping the ante", e.g, if the police are armed more crims will be, too.

In NZ the Armed Offenders Squad is deployed very effectively (99% of the time) to deal with armed crims. I assume the British police have a similiar squad.

Such tragic deaths are very easy for politicians and the more rabid commentators and interest groups to make political capital out of, but often their comments generate more heat than light. This issue needs to be looked at in a "look at the bigger picture" manner - and when it is, the picture always shows it's better for the police to remain unarmed, IMHO.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

Jumper k

Postby Jumper k » 20 Sep 2012, 07:09

If the Police have guns I, sure as shit, want them too.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 20 Sep 2012, 09:26

I suspect our police are armed much more than we'd like to think. :(

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Sep 2012, 09:30

Phil T wrote:I suspect our police are armed much more than we'd like to think. :(

Yeah, i'd say Nerf is making millions out of them.

:D
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 20 Sep 2012, 09:38

FYI even the Japanese police carry pistols.
Question authority.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Sep 2012, 09:45

You have to ask yourself if you would feel safer with the UK police - generally - armed or unarmed.
For me it is the latter, 100%.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Sep 2012, 10:06

Jimbo2 wrote:FYI even the Japanese police carry pistols.

What’s the difference between a pistol and a gun? Pistol sounds like something your find in a period drama. “Pistols at 10 paces” *slaps opponent’s face with satin glove*
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 20 Sep 2012, 10:23

Dr Markus wrote:
Jimbo2 wrote:FYI even the Japanese police carry pistols.

What’s the difference between a pistol and a gun? quote]

You know, a gun, rod, gat, piece, shootin' iron, sidearm, etc.

Question authority.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 02 Mar 2018, 16:45

Interesting enough thread considering all the shootings by cops that made the news in the US over the past few years.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 02 Mar 2018, 22:22

Dr Markus wrote:What’s the difference between a pistol and a gun?

Gun folk (real Americans) are picky about nomenclature. In movies where military "boot camp" is depicted there is often that scene where the new recruit stumbles and says, "Oops, I dropped my gun, sarge." And the drill sergeant gets up the newbie's face and screams, "Rifle, you worm! This is a rifle. This is a gun. *cups dick* This one's for killing. (rifle) This one's for fun. (dick) Now get down and give me 50!"

Even "pistol" may be the wrong word. I'd guess most police would call their gun a "side arm" or "weapon."

What gets me is how the media often refer to banning "automatic weapons" when even the most military-type looking weapons sold legally are semi-automatic, one shot per trigger pull. A semi-automatic deer rifle can do as much damage as an AR-15. Fully automatic weapons are actually banned. The "bump stock," however does make a semi automatic into a fully automatic.
Question authority.

Return to “Nextdoorland”