No votes
he was the great manipulator
33%

Total votes: 6

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Will Andy Warhol always be in demand?

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Jun 2012, 01:43

Will my favorite artist be in demand forever, spanning centuries, with skyrocketing auction prices? Or has he had his time (I won't say 15 minutes here)?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

TG

Re: Will Andy Warhol always be in demand?

Postby TG » 09 Jun 2012, 02:07

Prices for his work continue to spiral upward. If his time does end it likely won't be soon.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

John Mc

Postby John Mc » 09 Jun 2012, 03:23

Well, looking at the questions there, I'm not sure that the commodification of art (in the capitalist sense) has actually spanned centuries itself. So who can say what objects (objets?) or creative reputations will finally endure?

There was once a time when JS Bach was more or less forgotten.
quix wrote:If you want to really live then you have to open yourself up to love... some you'll win, some you'll lose... but what is the point if being human if you don't dare?

John Mc

Postby John Mc » 09 Jun 2012, 03:39

Two other thoughts:

I might be a bit biased at the moment, as I recently watched ''Factory Girl' - only a 'fiction', I know, but it did remind me that Andy was very probably not an especially heroic figure.

Secondly, I guess that much of his work (or better known work, at least - I'm not thinking so much of his early graphic work - I was just looking at some of his Blue Note album cover artwork) was about images and their reproduction - the nature of the original versus the copy (and I'm not speaking as a art critic here, of course). So my question might be: is that likely to remain a central and enduring artistic concern?
quix wrote:If you want to really live then you have to open yourself up to love... some you'll win, some you'll lose... but what is the point if being human if you don't dare?

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 09 Jun 2012, 04:27

Quoting my father: Andy Warhol could shit on a board and sell it for a million dollars.

So, yeah. I like him. :?
Question authority.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 09 Jun 2012, 09:26

Don't like his work. For me it its boring. One of the most overrated 'artists' of all time.

Sorry Googa. I like you, man.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Jun 2012, 10:38

Sea Of Tunes v2.0 wrote:Don't like his work. For me it its boring. One of the most overrated 'artists' of all time.

Sorry Googa. I like you, man.

All is forgiven! :D

I think so long as the sixties will remain hip, Andrej Warhola will be in demand, he was Mister Sixties, more than anybody else. The sixties have remained hip for over 50 years now, and I don't see that decade falling out of favor any time soon.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 09 Jun 2012, 10:56

Jimbo2 wrote:Quoting my father: Andy Warhol could shit on a board and sell it for a million dollars.

So, yeah. I like him. :?

He did a series of paintings where he pissed on the canvas.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 11 Jun 2012, 20:13

John Mc wrote:Secondly, I guess that much of his work (or better known work, at least - I'm not thinking so much of his early graphic work - I was just looking at some of his Blue Note album cover artwork) was about images and their reproduction - the nature of the original versus the copy (and I'm not speaking as a art critic here, of course). So my question might be: is that likely to remain a central and enduring artistic concern?

I would guess so, as long as ours remains a mass-produced society. Unless we go back to everything being handmade, Warhol will likely speak to the production-line aspect of life. However, his images are already somewhat nostalgic (oh for the days when soup cans looked that simple and graphic!), so perhaps others will come along to usurp his position and speak to us even more.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

yellowjacket

Postby yellowjacket » 12 Jun 2012, 03:15

YES his work will always be in demand because he was one of the most unique American artists of all time....
How would you like to be remembered? Oh I don't know. I suppose if we are remembered as a great little rock and roll band it would be fine.........

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 Jun 2012, 04:41

yellowjacket wrote:YES his work will always be in demand because he was one of the most unique American artists of all time....

And nowadays, one of the most imitated, even my Lee Perry album cover for Chicken Scratch is a Warhol cop, and Perry is about as far removed from Warhol as you can get!

Return to “Nextdoorland”