Which of these have you eaten and enjoyed?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

I have eaten and really rather liked....

Snails
8%
Black pudding (blood sausage)
9%
Raw oysters
8%
Frogs' legs
5%
Dog
No votes
Horse
3%
Carpaccio (raw beef)
8%
Sushi
11%
Octopus
11%
Tripe
3%
Mussels
11%
Pigs' ears
2%
Rabbit
9%
Goat
8%
Other (please name)
2%

Total votes: 358

sloopjohnc

Re: Which of these have you eaten and enjoyed?

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Apr 2012, 04:58

When I was a young insurance broker, I insured a meat market in the Fillmore district of San Francisco. For those who don't know, the Fillmore, or Western Addition, is a very traditional African-American neighborhood in the heart of San Francisco stuffed in a pocket between Fell St. and Geary Blvd. John Lee Hooker started up his Boom Boom Room nightclub there.

Anyhoo, the underwriter for the insurance company called me and told me they couldn't insure the place because they sold raccoon and gator meat. I called the prospective insured and he assured me that all their meat was FDA inspected and there were actually gator and raccoon meat farms that grew the critters for eating. They had the documents to prove it too.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 03 Apr 2012, 09:41

martha wrote:Seafood:
Kimchee - delicious

Although it contains anchovy, Kimchee is mainly cabbage - I would not have described it as seafood, but I would describe it as delicious!

Unless you are talking about something completely different of course.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 03 Apr 2012, 10:15

Clint Planet wrote:
Image.

They look like the feet of some mythical beast

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 03 Apr 2012, 10:54

Corporate whore wrote:
martha wrote:Seafood:
Kimchee - delicious

Although it contains anchovy, Kimchee is mainly cabbage - I would not have described it as seafood, but I would describe it as delicious!

Unless you are talking about something completely different of course.

The Kimchee that I know is spicy pickled cabbage. I love the stuff but then I'm crazy for saurkraut as well.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 03 Apr 2012, 11:05

Nolamike wrote:Anybody else here a fan of head cheese? I can eat my weight in the stuff. :)

You can even deep fry it if you wanna get extra decadent. :)

Count me in. In Holland it's called head cheese too, literally (Hoofdkaas), but in my province of birth it's also known as 'zult', and there's another word: 'preskop'.

We have quite a few varieties. My Granddad used to make it himself, that was much rougher in texture. An acquired taste for sure, but once you got 'in'... yummy!

It's also available in slices for sandwiches, great and dirt cheap. And there is a vegetarian variety (which is of course phoney by definition, were it not that due to meticulous spicing of the gelatin, tastes wonderful and is very healthy).
Last edited by Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman on 03 Apr 2012, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 03 Apr 2012, 11:29

I saw loquats on your list too, here they are called nispolas, we have 2 trees in the back and a few more down the side and at the front of the house. I'm going to be a happy bunny when they ripen!

Back to food that most might not be familiar with, one of my favs is preserved lemons. I do my own because everywhere we've lived we've had good lemon trees, they are easy peasy to do, and they give the most intense lemon flavor to everything. I love doing olives with them or chucking them in a pasta salad with a yogurt dressing. DIVINE!

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 03 Apr 2012, 12:03

Of the foods listed the only ones I haven't tried are Dog, Tripe, Pigs Ears and Goat. When I moved to Belgium we ate horse from the supermarket several times before we realised what it was ... I didn't know that Paard was the Flemish word for horse, and the horse steaks always looked leaner than the beef. It was very nice to be honest. And I say I've never eaten dog, but I've had a few kebabs over the years, so you just never know .... :? And Tripe is just one of the few things I wouldn't even consider eating. It just looks and smells like shite.

I love Oysters, Mussels and Black Pudding, but not necessarily at the same time. I've only had snails and frogs legs once, but they were a bit dull to be honest. Sushi is ok if you're in the mood, but get's a bit dull after a while too.

I've had reindeer in Norway a few times, which is very nice. I've also had Ostrich which also lovely.

I also had a pint of lager with anti-freeze in it once, but that's another story .... :?

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 03 Apr 2012, 12:08

Johnny Fartpants wrote:Of the foods listed the only ones I haven't tried are Dog, Tripe, Pigs Ears and Goat. When I moved to Belgium we ate horse from the supermarket several times before we realised what it was ... I didn't know that Paard was the Flemish word for horse, and the horse steaks always looked leaner than the beef. It was very nice to be honest. And I say I've never eaten dog, but I've had a few kebabs over the years, so you just never know .... :? And Tripe is just one of the few things I wouldn't even consider eating. It just looks and smells like shite.

I love Oysters, Mussels and Black Pudding, but not necessarily at the same time. I've only had snails and frogs legs once, but they were a bit dull to be honest. Sushi is ok if you're in the mood, but get's a bit dull after a while too.

I've had reindeer in Norway a few times, which is very nice. I've also had Ostrich which also lovely.

I also had a pint of lager with anti-freeze in it once, but that's another story .... :?

You're surely on a roll today, John. Keep 'em coming!

I had horsemeat also, I now realize. Thing is: I don't know if I can make that clear. In Holland, we have 'smoked meat' ('rookvlees') for sandwiches, very thin slices of deep red/brown meat that tastes salty in a very pleasant way. It can be bovine or equine, the latter being considerably cheaper. Tastes do not differ that much. But I haven't got the faintest whether this is known in other countries. I'm rather sure the Belgians know it, but that's all I can think of.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 03 Apr 2012, 12:45

Anyone else had durian?

It looks like large, shiny, pastel yellow grapefruit segments.

Tastes like vanilla custard with smelly socks, parmesan cheese or stilton in the mix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

its odor is best described as pig-shit, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock.

They stink and are banned from many public enclosed spaces in the far east. But like many things that honk appallingly they have a far milder taste that is quite nice.

I ordered a whole one last time I was in Vietnam but no one else would have more than a morsel and they are large fruit and get quite sickly sweet after a while so I had to leave about half of it and it cost a packet
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 03 Apr 2012, 12:59

I thought the Durians were the sworn enemy of Doctor Who.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 03 Apr 2012, 14:15

Copehead wrote:Anyone else had durian?

It looks like large, shiny, pastel yellow grapefruit segments.

Tastes like vanilla custard with smelly socks, parmesan cheese or stilton in the mix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

its odor is best described as pig-shit, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock.

They stink and are banned from many public enclosed spaces in the far east. But like many things that honk appallingly they have a far milder taste that is quite nice.

I ordered a whole one last time I was in Vietnam but no one else would have more than a morsel and they are large fruit and get quite sickly sweet after a while so I had to leave about half of it and it cost a packet

Yep, I've had it, and actually thought it had a nice flavor. I always describe the flavor as being a cross between a mango and a sweet onion.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 03 Apr 2012, 14:20

Clint Planet wrote:
kath wrote: the raw-oyster eating that's sposed to be so 'naturally n'awlins'~~which all other oyster-eaters elsewhere in the world imitate cuz they think new orleans things make em hip~~is really a fake....

I didn't even know New Orleans is famous for oysters. In fact, is it?? Nice use of the word "shucked" though.

Yep - gulf oysters are one of the big things here. There's a bunch of raw oyster bars around town. My favorite is Casamento's, a place so devoted to raw oysters that it closes its doors every year on April 30, waiting to reopen in mid-September.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 03 Apr 2012, 14:33

Durian are delicious. Vanilla custard with stink.
Question authority.

Return to “Nextdoorland”