How interested in rock/mountain climbing are you?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

How interested are you ... ?

Very interested and excited by it
13%
Somewhat interested in the activity
21%
Couldn't care much either way
4%
Don't really want to do it
13%
No f---ing way, you couldn't pay me enough
50%

Total votes: 24

Fireplug

Re: How interested in rock/mountain climbing are you?

Postby Fireplug » 24 Feb 2012, 21:58

I'm not built for it. Even at my leanest I've got tree trunk legs and no reach. I tried, it just wasn't for me. I'm not keen on heights either although I can overcome my fear. I don't think I've had a bigger adrenaline drop than the first time I abseiled -- I was cacking myself -- but then I just wanted to do it again. I completely get the appeal of that. I've scrambled quite a bit as I like hiking but the roped-up vertical business? No.

This doesn't look all that impressive but it's at about 8000ft and the drop goes on a LONG way. The bit before the bit I'm on was hairy enough for me, even just traversing. I'm far too much of a wimp to contemplate the hardcore stuff.

hookfinger

Postby hookfinger » 24 Feb 2012, 22:07

TopCat G wrote:I'm interested in it -without wanting to do it myself!

I always watch any documentaries on it. BBC4 had a really good one on the Eiger which has claimed so many lives. It's fascinating to see what propels people to do it.

This is it for me as well. No way would I do it but I am addicted to watching documentaries and I have scores of books about climbing in the Himalaya/Karakorum ranges. I've literally read every book about Everest that I could lay my hands on.
Oh boy is it getting rough, when my old world charm isn't quite enough.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 24 Feb 2012, 23:10

Magilla wrote:(The nearby K2 has an even higher death rate).

It's not exactly nearby.

I have an interest in it and like others I love to watch documentaries and read books on climbing, especially mountaineering. I'm terrified of heights though and my few attempts at rock climbing have left me convinced that it isn't for me. I sometimes have to do scary stuff at height for work when I'm involved with high rises, high roofs, theme parks rides etc. and I don't like it one little bit but at least I'm paid for it!

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 25 Feb 2012, 00:02

[youtube]CIjGaDUp6FY&feature=related[/youtube]

And after you've seen THAT, watch THIS:

Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 25 Feb 2012, 04:03

Sounds like an interesting thing that I'd never want to do in real life.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 25 Feb 2012, 06:52

Muskrat wrote:

I had a feeling the footage was real, but wondered if the voice had been dubbed in by someone else. Now I know.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 25 Feb 2012, 07:46

Charlie O. wrote:
Muskrat wrote:

I had a feeling the footage was real, but wondered if the voice had been dubbed in by someone else. Now I know.

On a totally unrelated point I find listening to US news anchors or presenters totally impossible. There's something about the way they slow down their voices and imbue every word with surprise that makes them incredibly irritating. The news report above is the perfect example.
I don't if this annoys US posters as much, perhaps you just get used to it.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 25 Feb 2012, 09:44

TopCat G wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:
Muskrat wrote:

On a totally unrelated point I find listening to US news anchors or presenters totally impossible. There's something about the way they slow down their voices and imbue every word with surprise that makes them incredibly irritating. The news report above is the perfect example.
I don't if this annoys US posters as much, perhaps you just get used to it.

Agree. And I can't listen to Richard Quest. That man is so LOUD... I wasn't surprised to learn that he had/has a coke habit. I can't stand the artificiality of all those videotrained-to-the-max presenters and those women with unnaturally low voices.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 25 Feb 2012, 09:52

Much like Mick, I did some when I was younger - enjoyed it but fell off once too often ( good job I was roped in). You need a lot of upper body strength which I didn't have. An ex colleague of me was a keen climber and he could lift his own body weight with one hand by gripping the underside of the door frame.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 25 Feb 2012, 10:09

On a scale of 1-10

Adrenalin doesn't interest me in the slightest, I got that out of my system playing rugby for 20 years
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

wilson

Postby wilson » 25 Feb 2012, 11:25

Not at all. Besides having claustrophobia, it reminds me of climbing back into my mother's womb a la Oscar in Grass' The Tin Drum.

Bang bang.
Oh well, what the feck.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 25 Feb 2012, 12:09

trans-chigley express wrote:
Magilla wrote:(The nearby K2 has an even higher death rate).

It's not exactly nearby.

I have an interest in it and like others I love to watch documentaries and read books on climbing, especially mountaineering. I'm terrified of heights though and my few attempts at rock climbing have left me convinced that it isn't for me. I sometimes have to do scary stuff at height for work when I'm involved with high rises, high roofs, theme parks rides etc. and I don't like it one little bit but at least I'm paid for it!

Same here, I hate clambering on and off boats in rickety dry docks, or getting out of helicopters high up on oil platforms, but at least I am getting paid for it.

They had a documentary about that Summer's Everest season on Discovery Channel a couple of years ago and there were some terrifying bits on that, there is on bit near the top which is literally a sloping ledge a foot or two wide above a 2000m drop, and on the last push up there are a few little coloured lumps which are dead bodies.

Why anyone would wish to do that is beyond me.
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 Feb 2012, 17:29

When I was a kid, I used to love climbing big trees and rocks but get a little scared of heights now for some reason.

The thing I really like to do, and I'm beginning to plan this year's trip, is white water rafting. I've dumped the kayak in Class 3 and 4 rapids before, and the rushing water doesn't scare me as much as retrieving my kayak and stuff so I'm not stuck out in the wilderness.

There are some easy rules for getting tossed. Wear a helmet, for one, and go down the river feet first in case of boulders.

But then I always go with buddies, which I think anyone should do if there doing this kind of endeavor.

Don't go out on these kinda things alone even if it's someone telling your family you died so they know what happened.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Pigpen

Postby Pigpen » 25 Feb 2012, 20:02

Love climbing mountains. Great fun. Steeper the better.
Harvey K-Tel wrote:Do you cunts actually listen to this stuff for pleasure??! Holy fucking shit. I fell asleep (honestly) while I was listening to A, but anything, even a sleepy fart, is better than B.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 26 Oct 2019, 02:42

I read a really disturbing account of someone's death while doing this recently which confirmed my absolute resolve never to do it while simultaneously cementing my admiration for people who do.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Flower

Postby Flower » 26 Oct 2019, 14:05

I have no interest in mountain climbing. I'd more than likely not have much of a problem getting up a mountain but I would be too scared to climb down.

Strange timing ... I'm in the middle of reading "The Girl Who Lived Twice" and there is quite a bit about climbing Mt. Everest and Sherpa people.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Return to “Nextdoorland”