PCC 1.1 - Trans-Chigley derailed

What it says on the tin.
trans-chigley express

Re: Prog Corner Cup Round 1.1

Postby trans-chigley express » 22 Nov 2011, 00:16

Daddy Longlegs wrote:point of order question: are we supposed to be considering the album version of these tracks, or the version in the links provided? I ask that because one link leads to a "Part 1" and the Moonchild link (while an interesting video) is the edited short version without the subsequent 10 minutes of noodling found on the album cut.

For some long tracks I think it's difficult to find a link in its complete form. I'd say regard it as a taster of the album version.

algroth

Postby algroth » 22 Nov 2011, 02:53

trans-chigley express wrote:
Daddy Longlegs wrote:point of order question: are we supposed to be considering the album version of these tracks, or the version in the links provided? I ask that because one link leads to a "Part 1" and the Moonchild link (while an interesting video) is the edited short version without the subsequent 10 minutes of noodling found on the album cut.

For some long tracks I think it's difficult to find a link in its complete form. I'd say regard it as a taster of the album version.

I agree. I think most people would refer to the album tracks and not whatever sample or version they were able to find on YouTube.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 22 Nov 2011, 06:26

Still learning the stuff from A, B's more familiar ground.

B
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Daddy Longlegs

Postby Daddy Longlegs » 22 Nov 2011, 13:09

Took the better part of 3 hours to listen to these two lists. I can see voting in this (if done responsibly) will be quite a commitment of time. On the bright side, I did hear several items I wasn't previously familiar with.

Both strong, but a few weak cuts in B (Starship Trooper, America are not a favorites of mine) and Moonchild is about the only song I ever skip over on ITCOTCK. I thought Between the Wheels was a brave choice, too. I cast my vote for:

A
"The fool who persists in his folly shall become wise."
- William Blake

algroth

Postby algroth » 22 Nov 2011, 15:28

Daddy Longlegs wrote:Took the better part of 3 hours to listen to these two lists. I can see voting in this (if done responsibly) will be quite a commitment of time. On the bright side, I did hear several items I wasn't previously familiar with.

Both strong, but a few weak cuts in B (Starship Trooper, America are not a favorites of mine) and Moonchild is about the only song I ever skip over on ITCOTCK. I thought Between the Wheels was a brave choice, too. I cast my vote for:

A

Dunno why I misread Crimso's track as "Starless" instead. Yes, "Moonchild" is a weak track, at least from the point Greg Lake leaves the scene.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 22 Nov 2011, 19:31

Hard to separate the both of them as they have big highs and some lower-tiered tracks. I wanted to let the lesser known tracks speak for them and took some time to invest and found the Embryo-one being the best of both worlds, so slightly begrudgingly I'll go for

A
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 22 Nov 2011, 19:32

For Funkadelic and Crimson: B

C
Robust

Postby C » 22 Nov 2011, 19:49

algroth wrote: Yes, "Moonchild" is a weak track, at least from the point Greg Lake leaves the scene.

Nonsense lad!

The instrumental bit has more tension than an Alfred Hitchcock thriller....

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

algroth

Postby algroth » 22 Nov 2011, 19:51

Tension is exactly what it's missing.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 22 Nov 2011, 20:42

B in a heartBeat!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 22 Nov 2011, 21:33

Both lists hardly make me jump for joy, I must admit... which makes voting even harder.

But although I think Maggot Brain is an inspired choice and I really enjoyed Cristina Ricci's tap-dancing ac, everything I really like in B is over-familiar. A, on the other hand, has the one great discovery for me (Affinity), a somewhat derivative but still very nice unknown track (Pineapple Thief) and the wonderful Autumn I haven't heard for ages.

A
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 23 Nov 2011, 04:02

Sorry that I haven't had tine to listen to the stuff that I don't know. So based on what I do, and despite the limp Genesis pick:

A
Betty Denim wrote:The first time I saw a strange man's cock was in a queue for a Belgian breakfast buffet.

GoogaMooga wrote:I do have standards.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 23 Nov 2011, 12:44

There's something about A that sit very well with me. I think I'll go with B
I run out of talent

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 23 Nov 2011, 14:13

B
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 23 Nov 2011, 18:22

Nice and nasty things on both lists but "America" is always going to do it for me

B

NMB

Postby NMB » 23 Nov 2011, 23:30

Round closed.

I make it A = 9 and B = 11 but can someone check my maths ?
turn on, tune in, nod off

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 24 Nov 2011, 00:34

NMB wrote:Round closed.

That's correct. A was me :(

I had a slight overnight lead but checked this morning to find 3 votes for against me including Kaspar who seemed to prefer my list but still voted for B :lol:

In hindsight I probably made a mistake in opting for tracks outside of the accepted iconic years for bands like Floyd, Genesis and Rush. I'm a little surprised by the dislike for Duke's Travels which I rate as the best Genesis instrumental and sounds fantastic played while driving down empty A-roads, as does Pulstar (go on try it, but don't blame me if you get caught speeding!)

Pitted against a strong list though - in a competition that will be full of them - so good luck to B in the next round.

Thanks to all who voted for me.

algroth

Postby algroth » 24 Nov 2011, 00:58

trans-chigley express wrote:
NMB wrote:Round closed.

That's correct. A was me :(

I had a slight overnight lead but checked this morning to find 3 votes for against me including Kaspar who seemed to prefer my list but still voted for B :lol:

In hindsight I probably made a mistake in opting for tracks outside of the accepted iconic years for bands like Floyd, Genesis and Rush. I'm a little surprised by the dislike for Duke's Travels which I rate as the best Genesis instrumental and sounds fantastic played while driving down empty A-roads, as does Pulstar (go on try it, but don't blame me if you get caught speeding!)

Pitted against a strong list though - in a competition that will be full of them - so good luck to B in the next round.

Thanks to all who voted for me.

It was a good list, and a close call. Take a bow, good man!

I feel guilty for having voted for the list which did not include the electronic goodies you put up. Admittedly I also went back and changed my initial response a number of times, as I couldn't really decide among the two.

Thanks for taking the time to compile a strong list.

NMB

Re: PCC 1.1 - Trans-Chigley derailed

Postby NMB » 24 Nov 2011, 07:20

That couldn't have been much closer, and I didn't understand Kaspar's comment/vote combination either. Personaly I liked the Genesis and Rush selections and I loved the Popol Vuh track which was new to me. But I couldn't get through the Affinity one. Thanks for taking part and please continue voting right to the end.
turn on, tune in, nod off

C
Robust

Re: PCC 1.1 - Trans-Chigley derailed

Postby C » 24 Nov 2011, 19:27

Tough luck Ray - the quality of both lists were superb.

Close...

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”