BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

..and why not?
algroth

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll - FULL RESULTS

Postby algroth » 26 Sep 2011, 01:10

Ghost of Harry Smith wrote:
the masked man wrote: However, I'm uneasy with rules that excludes both programmes and other one-season classics like The Prisoner or The Singing Detective.

Yeah, me too. Sorry but I think that approach is just wrong. There are so many TV classics that were one-off or limited-run events, from Roots to Cathy Come Home, The War Game or Quatermass & The Pit.

I would agree with leaving out those three as they are TV films as opposed to TV shows, although in the case of "Cathy Come Home" I guess you could include The Wednesday Play in the list.

algroth

Postby algroth » 26 Sep 2011, 01:22

beenieman wrote:2. One off events/shows/mini-series or TV movies are excluded e.g. no votes for Roots or Cathy Come Home or coverage of the moon landing

I think one-off shows and mini-series should be included, but not TV movies or events. I'd say mini-series could be included just to not have to limit what constitutes a mini-series and what constitutes a whole series - regarding this point, Roots has apparently 10 or 12 episodes (I haven't seen it so I wouldn't know for sure), which would in some cases consistute an entire season, yet is credited in several places as a "mini-series". In Wikipedia, the term "mini-series" is explained as "a television show production which tells a story in a planned limited number of episodes", yet you could say that is true for just about any series telling a single story in its run (case in point: the entire concept of 24 consists of the series being told in real time and covering the events folding out in a single day).

Then again, one can fix this by simply placing an minimum episode requirement. In any case I think TV movies and events wouldn't find a place in the poll.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 26 Sep 2011, 01:38

algroth wrote:
beenieman wrote:2. One off events/shows/mini-series or TV movies are excluded e.g. no votes for Roots or Cathy Come Home or coverage of the moon landing

I think one-off shows and mini-series should be included, but not TV movies or events. I'd say mini-series could be included just to not have to limit what constitutes a mini-series and what constitutes a whole series - regarding this point, Roots has apparently 10 or 12 episodes (I haven't seen it so I wouldn't know for sure), which would in some cases consistute an entire season, yet is credited in several places as a "mini-series". In Wikipedia, the term "mini-series" is explained as "a television show production which tells a story in a planned limited number of episodes", yet you could say that is true for just about any series telling a single story in its run (case in point: the entire concept of 24 consists of the series being told in real time and covering the events folding out in a single day).

Then again, one can fix this by simply placing an minimum episode requirement. In any case I think TV movies and events wouldn't find a place in the poll.

OK for Roots then. What's an example of a one-off show you'd like included?

I'm getting the feeling I'll be the only one voting for a majority of shows in colour :D
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird

algroth

Postby algroth » 26 Sep 2011, 02:49

beenieman wrote:
algroth wrote:

OK for Roots then. What's an example of a one-off show you'd like included?

I'm getting the feeling I'll be the only one voting for a majority of shows in colour :D

Well, there's Dekalog, Band of Brothers, Berlin Alexanderplatz, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and more, but I wouldn't want to give all my choices away. :lol:

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 26 Sep 2011, 03:09

algroth wrote:Well, there's Dekalog, Band of Brothers, Berlin Alexanderplatz, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and more, but I wouldn't want to give all my choices away. :lol:

The only one recognisable to me is Band of Brothers which is a mini series. Neon Genesis Evangelion is a series per imdb and the other two, per imdb are mini series. So no one-offs?

algroth

Postby algroth » 26 Sep 2011, 04:49

beenieman wrote:
algroth wrote:Well, there's Dekalog, Band of Brothers, Berlin Alexanderplatz, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and more, but I wouldn't want to give all my choices away. :lol:

The only one recognisable to me is Band of Brothers which is a mini series. Neon Genesis Evangelion is a series per imdb and the other two, per imdb are mini series. So no one-offs?

Oh, I thought you meant a one-off as a season-only series. Incidentially, Band of Brothers is yet another example of an alleged mini-series that has enough episodes to be as long as many series.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 26 Sep 2011, 05:58

beenieman wrote:So the rules for the TV poll would be the same as for the Film poll in terms of picking 50 shows etc noting the following:

1. Series that only ran for one season may be included e.g. The Prisoner
2. One off events/shows/mini-series or TV movies are excluded e.g. no votes for Roots or Cathy Come Home or coverage of the moon landing
3. Reality & talk shows are included so you can vote for CBS Evening News, Carson or American Idol
4. Cartoons & childrens shows can be included, within the above rules
5. Commercials are excluded

I sense this isn't complicated enough for some people though :D

See #1

algroth

Postby algroth » 26 Sep 2011, 06:02

beenieman wrote:See #1

Yeah, it's that earlier in this thread someone made a distinction between series that ran ony for one season and series that intended to run only for one season, although maybe I misread that as well. Anyways, sorry, and carry on...

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 26 Sep 2011, 06:59

Blloody hell guys! :lol:

This must be one of the most absurd debates. If it was first shown on tv it should be okay for inclusion whatever it is. The less rules the better. Just say you can pick anything that's not a film. TV films are obviously fine.

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 26 Sep 2011, 07:15

TopCat G wrote:Blloody hell guys! :lol:

This must be one of the most absurd debates. If it was first shown on tv it should be okay for inclusion whatever it is. The less rules the better. Just say you can pick anything that's not a film. TV films are obviously fine.

Sense! Sense! Q. Was it made to be first shown on television? If A = yes, then let it be eligible.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 26 Sep 2011, 09:06

Ghost of Harry Smith wrote:
TopCat G wrote:Blloody hell guys! :lol:

Sense! Sense! Q. Was it made to be first shown on television? If A = yes, then let it be eligible.

I'm wondering what I would put in my list because part of the problem with some series is that they started off with a hiss and a roar and then went off the boil. In the case of say, the Simpsons, Seasons 2-8 pretty much changed television comedy forever, but recent series have been pretty terrible, likewise the X-Files from a genuine phenomenon (and in many ways picked up from where Twin Peaks left off), but went off the boil after the sixth season. This is less of a problem with the best British series largely because they don't tend to run as long.

And yes, I agree with Ghost of Harry Smith and G on this one- we need to keep it pretty simple.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 26 Sep 2011, 19:04

Anywhere other than Screenedelica it is simple :D A list of favourite TV series. End of story.

But whatever. If people want to vote for moon landings, favourite ads & test patterns or best half hour ever they can. Let's just get on with it.

In any event Davey is organising this so it's for him to set any rules. I was just trying to help out

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 27 Sep 2011, 21:28

i think mini-serieseseses should count. multi-part docs. for example, i thought ken burns' the civil war was fantastic. i can't count it... why, exactly?

where's davey?

he's hiding in his closet with tales from topographic oceans, is what.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 27 Sep 2011, 22:08

Um, shouldn't whoever is planning to run this TV poll start a new thread to continue this discussion? Just a thought...

algroth

Postby algroth » 27 Sep 2011, 23:24

the masked man wrote:Um, shouldn't whoever is planning to run this TV poll start a new thread to continue this discussion? Just a thought...

Yep, sounds about right.

Also, I think it's about time we unstick this, isn't it? Not like the poll's still going... :?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 27 Sep 2011, 23:54

algroth wrote:
the masked man wrote:Um, shouldn't whoever is planning to run this TV poll start a new thread to continue this discussion? Just a thought...

Yep, sounds about right.

Also, I think it's about time we unstick this, isn't it? Not like the poll's still going... :?

I'll move it to classic threads in a week or so.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 28 Sep 2011, 03:47

mentalist (slight return) wrote:can you move this tweed jacket to classic threads as well?

Cough.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 28 Sep 2011, 23:49

:lol: arf! you really did, very apt i would say

anyhow, thanks again for the great poll
king of the divan

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 03 Oct 2011, 17:08

kath wrote:where's davey?

I'll get the ball rolling on this over the next few days.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

meetthesonics

Postby meetthesonics » 05 Nov 2011, 19:19

This still planned, the TV deal?
Sweet potato ya got it, apple ya ain't.

Return to “Screenadelica”