45%
Sex Pistols
55%

Total votes: 94

Jeff K
The Original K

Re: Pink Floyd vs Sex Pistols

Postby Jeff K » 29 Aug 2011, 13:49

I like Arnold Layne but is it in the same echelon as Anarchy, God Save the Queen and Pretty Vacant?
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 29 Aug 2011, 13:51

Jeff K wrote:
WG Kaspar wrote:[Honest question do people who dislike Floyd, do so on the basis of their music or just on the idea of a band like them could be so successful?

Not at all. In fact, unlike some here I enjoy quite a bit of Pink Floyd. Their success plays no part in my thinking. I just happen to dig the Pistols more.

Fair enough.
It seems to me that a lot of the time people can't stand them for things irrelevant for the music.
I run out of talent

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 29 Aug 2011, 13:53

Jeff K wrote:I like Arnold Layne but is it in the same echelon as Anarchy, God Save the Queen and Pretty Vacant?

No it's not, and I don't think that See Emily Play is either.
However Lucifer Sam, Interstellar Overdrive and Astronomy Domine are.
I run out of talent

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 29 Aug 2011, 13:57

WG Kaspar wrote:
Jeff K wrote:I like Arnold Layne but is it in the same echelon as Anarchy, God Save the Queen and Pretty Vacant?

Really? I don't think there are many singles as great as See Emily Play by anyone.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 29 Aug 2011, 14:06

trans-chigley express wrote:
WG Kaspar wrote:

Really? I don't think there are many singles as great as See Emily Play by anyone.

I think it's massively overrated. A great song yes, but not Floyd's greatest by a long distance. Not one of the greatest singles of all time either.
I run out of talent

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 29 Aug 2011, 14:10

WG Kaspar wrote:
Jeff K wrote:
WG Kaspar wrote:[Honest question do people who dislike Floyd, do so on the basis of their music or just on the idea of a band like them could be so successful?

Not at all. In fact, unlike some here I enjoy quite a bit of Pink Floyd. Their success plays no part in my thinking. I just happen to dig the Pistols more.

Fair enough.
It seems to me that a lot of the time people can't stand them for things irrelevant for the music.

I don't like them because their music is very boring.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 29 Aug 2011, 14:17

the science eel wrote:I don't like them because their music is very boring.

Yet you're thinking about getting one or two of the reissues. Sort of like me with Smile and not caring for the Beach Boys. :lol:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 29 Aug 2011, 14:19

WG Kaspar wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:

I think it's massively overrated. A great song yes, but not Floyd's greatest by a long distance. Not one of the greatest singles of all time either.

There's certainly Floyd songs I like more but they never made a better single although they never bothered much with singles so that's kind of damning with faint praise :lol:

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 29 Aug 2011, 15:23

Pink Floyd. :?
Question authority.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Aug 2011, 16:43

Owen wrote:They have definitely become more accepted. Everything has, post downloading people dont have to pay the money and make the personal statement that they used to, things aren't Either/Or any more.

This is all quite specific to one or two generations of UK music fans though, I can see things have been different elsewhere. As Yompi says we are old people, the pistols are dad music too now.

Yes, this is precisely it, and more or less what I was getting at earlier. Yomp also hit on this a few posts ago. The (usually UK, but not always) idea that punk is the best thing ever and that most (unless precious Johnny Rotten or whomever liked it) pre-punk rock is for dinosaurs was silly over thirty years ago but is positively laughable now. Middle aged, card-carrying punks are even more pathetic than their hippie counterparts, still claiming an us & them mentality (much like their hippie forebears, really).

This is the twenty first century, and the dust has settled on pop history. Nobody really cares about punk ideology anymore except forty/fifty-something white men still mindlessly wallowing in nostalgia for a past which has nothing to recommend it other than the fact that said moaners were young then. Punk rock is every bit the 'Dad Music' that Pink Floyd is. Punk didn't change things too much either when you think about it, except the mindset of the easily impressionable teens of that era, who, exactly like their counter cultural older brothers & sisters, still live in an airy-fairy fantasy that their generation and their music came along to change everything when the irony is that you can put Pink Floyd on the cover of either MOJO or Rolling Stone and that issue will still outsell one with the Pistols on the cover.

:lol:

So much for winning the punk wars.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Aug 2011, 16:46

Matt Wilson wrote: Nobody really cares about punk ideology anymore except forty/fifty-something white men

:roll:
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Aug 2011, 16:47

Don't take it so seriously, Anna.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 29 Aug 2011, 16:48

my dad rock is still better than your dad rock.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Aug 2011, 16:49

Jeff K wrote:my dad rock is still better than your dad rock.

[flash=][/flash]

Yep, that's pretty much what this argument boils down to.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Aug 2011, 16:50

Matt Wilson wrote:Don't take it so seriously, Anna.

Ok then.
Just out of interest though, what do women do in Matt world?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 29 Aug 2011, 16:52

It doesn't matter. BCB has spoken and it's been decided that the Sex Pistols are better than Pink Floyd. You'll just have to deal with it.

Can we move on now?

algroth

Postby algroth » 29 Aug 2011, 16:53

toomanyhatz wrote:I'll take the guys that splatter the walls and then disappear over the guys that make great art and then spend several decades dismantling it piece by piece while overstaying their welcome.

Whereas I agree with this sentiment as a general rule, I don't think Pink Floyd fits that description entirely, or Sex Pistols its counterpart, as it was not until after Animals that Floyd became entirely worthless and self-harming, and that accounts for a full decade where they kept their artistic integrity mostly intact. Sure, the quality of the results may have varied, but there was still a willingness to move beyond covered terrain and to expand on interesting musical ideas. The number of albums that followed are only half of what Floyd recorded in this time as well, if I'm not mistaken. The Sex Pistols, on the other hand, were already floundering with their second release, and have since then released tonnes of archival stuff and gone on endless reunion tours, most of which don't amount to much - it's not that they laid one golden egg and left, but rather that they couldn't have kept it up, and yet, in a way, they tried (and still do). If anything they're as guilty as Floyd of milking their past hits.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 29 Aug 2011, 16:53

Matt Wilson wrote:Punk rock is every bit the 'Dad Music' that Pink Floyd is.

It is, in the sense that middle-aged Dads listen to it.

I'm not getting into theories - they're bullshit - the fact is that the Pistols' music is more fun and more exciting than anything Pink Floyd put out once Syd locked his front door. And that's it - whoever listens, whenever they listen. There's no debate there, no discussion. Try, if you want - you'd look even more foolish.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Aug 2011, 16:54

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Don't take it so seriously, Anna.

Ok then.
Just out of interest though, what do women do in Matt world?

They marry Texans.

I'm surrounded by women and always have been. They're about as much of a mystery to me as a Nancy Drew novel. What on earth are you getting at this time?

algroth

Postby algroth » 29 Aug 2011, 16:55

Matt Wilson wrote:
Owen wrote:They have definitely become more accepted. Everything has, post downloading people dont have to pay the money and make the personal statement that they used to, things aren't Either/Or any more.

This is all quite specific to one or two generations of UK music fans though, I can see things have been different elsewhere. As Yompi says we are old people, the pistols are dad music too now.

Yes, this is precisely it, and more or less what I was getting at earlier. Yomp also hit on this a few posts ago. The (usually UK, but not always) idea that punk is the best thing ever and that most (unless precious Johnny Rotten or whomever liked it) pre-punk rock is for dinosaurs was silly over thirty years ago but is positively laughable now. Middle aged, card-carrying punks are even more pathetic than their hippie counterparts, still claiming an us & them mentality (much like their hippie forebears, really).

This is the twenty first century, and the dust has settled on pop history. Nobody really cares about punk ideology anymore except forty/fifty-something white men still mindlessly wallowing in nostalgia for a past which has nothing to recommend it other than the fact that said moaners were young then. Punk rock is every bit the 'Dad Music' that Pink Floyd is. Punk didn't change things too much either when you think about it, except the mindset of the easily impressionable teens of that era, who, exactly like their counter cultural older brothers & sisters, still live in an airy-fairy fantasy that their generation and their music came along to change everything when the irony is that you can put Pink Floyd on the cover of either MOJO or Rolling Stone and that issue will still outsell one with the Pistols on the cover.

:lol:

So much for winning the punk wars.

+1

Return to “Yakety Yak”