best British band of the 70s

Do talk back
algroth

Re: best British band of the 70s

Postby algroth » 11 Jul 2011, 16:30

Juan King-Champion wrote:
algroth wrote:
Juan King-Champion wrote:Mostly lightweights and phonies mentioned so far. No mention of The Faces? Heads Hands and Feet? Man? Fotheringay? Colloseum? Uriah Heep? Nazareth? The Strawbs, E.L.P.? Procol Harum? Wishbone Ash? Jethro Tull? E.L.O.? Deep Purple? Queen? Even Bad Co?

You're a bunch of Punks reliving your youth, and those who aren't are fashion victims; mostly. ;)

Actually, my pick for best band would be either The Who or ELP. Procol Harum lost me a bit in the 70's, though back in the 60's they were utterly superb. Jethro Tull is also great, but not the best, as are Deep Purple. The rest are either fine or I don't rate at all. Uriah Heep in particular is just shite.

And how on Earth is Throbbing Gristle lightweight and/or a bunch of phonies? :x

I'm not familiar with Throbbing Gristle, I have a vague memory of thrashing Punk, but only very vague.

I've just checked United on Youtube, and it's unmitigated shite.

That's good, but this, on the other hand, is pure brilliance:

Not Punk, not lightweight, not phony.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 11 Jul 2011, 16:39

algroth wrote:That's good, but this, on the other hand, is pure brilliance:

I was just listening to Discipline last night! The two live versions that were tacked onto the CD reissue of 20 Jazz Funk Greats which I always felt sounded a little out of place on that album.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

algroth

Postby algroth » 11 Jul 2011, 16:48

Jeff K wrote:
algroth wrote:That's good, but this, on the other hand, is pure brilliance:

I was just listening to Discipline last night! The two live versions that were tacked onto the CD reissue of 20 Jazz Funk Greats which I always felt sounded a little out of place on that album.

Yeah, this seems to deserve a place on one of the Annual Reports instead. By the way, what do you think of Part Two: The Endless Not? Quite a departure from the rest of the band's work, closer in sound to Coil. It has some superb vocal performances by Genesis, particularly "Almost A Kiss".

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 11 Jul 2011, 17:01

algroth wrote: By the way, what do you think of Part Two: The Endless Not? Quite a departure from the rest of the band's work, closer in sound to Coil. It has some superb vocal performances by Genesis, particularly "Almost A Kiss".

I love it. It's a shame it came and went without much fanfare because it's one of the better comeback albums around. It probably could have been trimmed a little because it's a rather long album. Some people griped that it lacked the edge the earlier albums had but that's just nit-picking. They're a lot older and mature now and it would look silly if they went out of their way to provoke. It's a drag that this album will definitely be their last.

algroth

Postby algroth » 11 Jul 2011, 17:09

Jeff K wrote:
algroth wrote: By the way, what do you think of Part Two: The Endless Not? Quite a departure from the rest of the band's work, closer in sound to Coil. It has some superb vocal performances by Genesis, particularly "Almost A Kiss".

I love it. It's a shame it came and went without much fanfare because it's one of the better comeback albums around. It probably could have been trimmed a little because it's a rather long album. Some people griped that it lacked the edge the earlier albums had but that's just nit-picking. They're a lot older and mature now and it would look silly if they went out of their way to provoke. It's a drag that this album will definitely be their last.

It would be particularly silly since their style has confomed an entire genre since then, and doing that stuff nowadays would not be particularly edgy, just more of the same. I'm glad they approached their reunion the way they did.

Also, speaking of TG, have you seen this? I've heard it's an excellent documentary incredibly insightful into Genesis' philosophy, life and transformation:

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 11 Jul 2011, 17:17

I bet John just loves his thread being hijacked by Throbbing Gristle. :lol:

I haven't seen that documentary but will definitely look for it. I'm also on the hunt for affordable copies of the TG live albums that Mute put out a few years ago. Your buddy from that other board strongly recommended them.

algroth

Postby algroth » 11 Jul 2011, 17:22

Jeff K wrote:I bet John just loves his thread being hijacked by Throbbing Gristle. :lol:

Well, as I said, it is one of the great British bands of the 70's, so we're still in topic (sort of). Now, if we moved onto Curved Air... :lol:

I haven't seen that documentary but will definitely look for it. I'm also on the hunt for affordable copies of the TG live albums that Mute put out a few years ago. Your buddy from that other board strongly recommended them.

Yeah. I haven't heard them myself, though I've heard other TG live records and they are a force to be reckoned with. I will at some point look further into their live catalogue (in fact, I might just try to find that collection today).

der nister

Postby der nister » 11 Jul 2011, 17:28

Jeff K wrote:I bet John just loves his thread being hijacked by Throbbing Gristle. :lol:

at one time Cabaret Voltaire would have been serious electronic contenders, more so than TG
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 11 Jul 2011, 17:34

zphage wrote:at one time Cabaret Voltaire would have been serious electronic contenders, more so than TG

I wouldn't say 'more so' but they're up there for sure. Red Mecca still gets a lot of plays.

der nister

Postby der nister » 11 Jul 2011, 18:50

Jeff K wrote:
zphage wrote:at one time Cabaret Voltaire would have been serious electronic contenders, more so than TG

I wouldn't say 'more so' but they're up there for sure. Red Mecca still gets a lot of plays.

Voltaire seemed to get more attention for the music (particularly 12") than the shenanigans,

and BS philosphy that TG always had to drape themselves
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 11 Jul 2011, 19:02

For any L.A. people who might be reading this: The film is going to be screened this Thursday, July 14 at the Silent Movie Theater in Hollywood. Alas, it's confirmed that Mr. P-Orridge will not be in attendance after all.
Last edited by Quaco on 11 Jul 2011, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 11 Jul 2011, 19:06

Quaco wrote:For any L.A. people who might be reading this: The film is going to be screened this Thursday, July 14 at the Silent Movie Theater in Hollywood. It is rumored that Mr. P-Orridge will be in attendance, but not yet confirmed.

I think you should go. You can be our BCB reporter on the scene.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 11 Jul 2011, 19:31

Isn't Mr. P-Orridge no longer a Mr.?
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 11 Jul 2011, 19:35

toomanyhatz wrote:Isn't Mr. P-Orridge no longer a Mr.?

He and the late Lady Jaye had surgery to make themselves look more like one another, but stopped short of altering/removing their genitals. They wanted to merge as one, but to remove something that creates pleasure was not what their project was about.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 11 Jul 2011, 19:48

Quaco wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Isn't Mr. P-Orridge no longer a Mr.?

He and the late Lady Jaye had surgery to make themselves look more like one another, but stopped short of altering/removing their genitals. They wanted to merge as one, but to remove something that creates pleasure was not what their project was about.

I thought there was some breast enhancement (on his part) involved as well, but I may not remember correctly.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 11 Jul 2011, 19:51

No, that's right, they both got breast enhancement!

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 11 Jul 2011, 19:55

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 11 Jul 2011, 20:21

Juan King-Champion wrote:
Loki wrote:
Juan King-Champion wrote:Mostly lightweights and phonies mentioned so far. No mention of The Faces? Heads Hands and Feet? Man? Fotheringay? Colloseum? Uriah Heep? Nazareth? The Strawbs, E.L.P.? Procol Harum? Wishbone Ash? Jethro Tull? E.L.O.? Deep Purple? Queen? Even Bad Co?

You're a bunch of Punks reliving your youth, and those who aren't are fashion victims; mostly. ;)

I mentioned Tull, but was remiss re The Faces.

I don't read your posts. ;)

:lol:

Mother*beep*!!

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

C
Robust

Postby C » 11 Jul 2011, 20:25

There is no point in mentioning any decent bands- the pseuds will just scoff

[I mentioned Gentle Giant but I think I got away with it....]

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 11 Jul 2011, 20:28

Joy Division, The Clash or Pink Floyd
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Return to “Yakety Yak”