33%
Dark
33%

Total votes: 9

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Our children's prospects.

Postby Jimbo » 14 Jun 2011, 13:58

World War IV will need a lot of bodies, and women can die as well as the men! No, really, I see nothing for our kids. Hell, retirees are manning the McDonald's counters now. I hear there are unemployed young lawyers and engineers. Doctors are working, right?
Question authority.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Re: Our children's prospects.

Postby harvey k-tel » 14 Jun 2011, 14:02

Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 14 Jun 2011, 14:11

Jimbo2 wrote:I hear there are unemployed young lawyers and engineers.

Hong Kong has a desperate shortage of engineers. If you know any unemployed ones please send them our way! I've been advertising for 6 months with barely a flicker of interest.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 14 Jun 2011, 14:14

trans-chigley express wrote:

Hong Kong has a desperate shortage of engineers. If you know any unemployed ones please send them our way! I've been advertising for 6 months with barely a flicker of interest.

Shhh. Yer harshing my thread buzz, man.
Question authority.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 14 Jun 2011, 14:26

The U.S. has way too many lawyers. A lot of bright kids are working for half what they would have made 10 years ago.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 14 Jun 2011, 14:27

Snarfyguy wrote:

The U.S. has way too many lawyers. A lot of bright kids are working for half what they would have made 10 years ago.

We don't want your lawyers, you can keep 'em. :lol:

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 14 Jun 2011, 14:29

trans-chigley express wrote:We don't want your lawyers, you can keep 'em. :lol:

We can throw in some engineers to sweeten the deal for you. :)
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Brin
Rogue element
Location: ''Trying to get to heaven before they close the door''

Postby Brin » 14 Jun 2011, 15:14

Dark.
Cant paint it any other way.
Beebsy wrote:The guys are wankers, we all know that.

TG

Postby TG » 14 Jun 2011, 17:05

I was just telling someone yesterday that I feel really bad for my son and his friends. He's just finished his first year of college and would like a job for the summer but there aren't any. There aren't jobs for people who want one for the rest of their life, let alone for a few weeks.

People with degrees are applying for jobs as wait staff! What's a 19 year old with little experience to do? Will it be any better when he graduates and needs a real job/career? I hope so.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

der nister

Postby der nister » 14 Jun 2011, 17:25

things will be fine

the times will dictate what it needs

and people will respond and innovate

the older generation will have to get out of the way

and let the kids step up to the plate

they'll be fine
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 02 Feb 2018, 22:56

der nister wrote:things will be fine

the times will dictate what it needs

and people will respond and innovate

the older generation will have to get out of the way

and let the kids step up to the plate

they'll be fine

PARKLIFE
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 03 Feb 2018, 00:27

If I had kids, I would tell them to go work with Jimbo in the Russian Troll Farms. Fucking with people is the only way to make an honest living anymore.

But I don't have any kids so, I'm just going to strap in for the final third or so of my ride, and try not to starve to death in the meantime. Luckily my non-existent kids will not pressure me to sell myself to the glue factory in order to get out of debt and leave them an inheritance.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 03 Feb 2018, 05:58

I worry about the environment and I worry about societal upheaval. I don’t worry as much about the economy.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 03 Feb 2018, 06:40

I’m reading a book about the famine in North Korea during the 90’s and one of the surviving defectors that was interviewed observed that the nice people, ones that generously shared their food, invariably died while the bad people that were selfish or even stole from others were the survivors. There’s a moral here that I’m not sure I want to pass on to my child.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 03 Feb 2018, 11:32

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I worry about the environment and I worry about societal upheaval. I don’t worry as much about the economy.

This.

If there was to be an economic rebalance, worldwide, all of OUR standards of living will go down, as currently deprived folks hopefully get a boost. The oligarchs will continue to get richer.

But, the environment, water wars etc will completely ruin it for our offspring, and theirs in turn.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 03 Feb 2018, 13:32

I don't worry about anything that is out of my control. I'm certainly not even remotely concerned about what happens after I die. For me, that time does not exist, it's all a fantasy - much like the past :-) . From the wisdom of my near 70 years, I now realize that all the good things that have happened to me have been as a result of my response to changes, challenges and opportunities, from which I deduce that I'm quite good at dealing with things as they come. I also spent a good deal of my adolescence living through the worst of the Cold War, to the extent of occasionally being fearful for my life, but here I am 50-odd years on, still more or less alive.
All change involves both loss and gain. The secret is to acknowledge the loss and focus on the gain. People are very adaptable, and capable of learning and creating their own responses.
I voted Bright
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 03 Feb 2018, 14:44

Fonz wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I worry about the environment and I worry about societal upheaval. I don’t worry as much about the economy.

This.

If there was to be an economic rebalance, worldwide, all of OUR standards of living will go down, as currently deprived folks hopefully get a boost. The oligarchs will continue to get richer.

But, the environment, water wars etc will completely ruin it for our offspring, and theirs in turn.

Here's the most famous attempt to quantify the danger.

In case, it's not clear, time is measured from left to right; threat from up to down. The greater the threat, the closer we are to the bottom line, at which point the human race is annihilated. The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists estimates that the current threat is as bad as it's ever been and is comparable to the point in time during which Stalin and Eisenhower were fully engaged in the Cold War and the hydrogen bomb was developed.

There's more at

https://thebulletin.org/timeline

in specific,

IT IS 2 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
2018: The failure of world leaders to address the largest threats to humanity’s future is lamentable—but that failure can be reversed. It is two minutes to midnight, but the Doomsday Clock has ticked away from midnight in the past, and during the next year, the world can again move it further from apocalypse. The warning the Science and Security Board now sends is clear, the danger obvious and imminent. The opportunity to reduce the danger is equally clear. The world has seen the threat posed by the misuse of information technology and witnessed the vulnerability of democracies to disinformation. But there is a flip side to the abuse of social media. Leaders react when citizens insist they do so, and citizens around the world can use the power of the internet to improve the long-term prospects of their children and grandchildren. They can insist on facts, and discount nonsense. They can demand action to reduce the existential threat of nuclear war and unchecked climate change. They can seize the opportunity to make a safer and saner world. See the full statement from the Science and Security Board on the 2018 time of the Doomsday Clock.

As mentioned in the statement above, most of the threats are matters that can be addressed currently and are within our control.

Return to “Nextdoorland”