40%
Kate M.
60%

Total votes: 5

meetthesonics

Cates vs Kate (NSFW)

Postby meetthesonics » 02 Apr 2011, 20:10

or

I got jumped on at work the other day when, while others were discussing the royal wedding, I casually commented that it seems like Buckwheat, being King of England and, ought be able to find a better looking bride to be.
Not that the girl's homely or anything, far from it. But you know, meh.
Which prompted Dale to say, "Well, she's ten times better looking than Phoebe. Cates."
Madness of course. Cates placing in the top five of best-ever girls ever and all.
But, I leave it to the BCB to settle the great international Cate/Kate debate.
Sweet potato ya got it, apple ya ain't.

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Re: Cates vs Kate

Postby The Dríver » 02 Apr 2011, 20:14

I don't think Kate Middleton is anything special. She's not a munter by any stretch of the imagination, but she's no great beauty either.

Phoebe Cates would get my vote. And indeed, has.
He's a simpleton. 200 years ago they wouldn't have let him milk a cow.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 02 Apr 2011, 20:39

Kate Moss is great too (which is who I thought you were talking about until I read your whole post). Too much is made of her thinness and waif-like quality and effect on (or pandering to) the thinness obsession in fashion. She's a great icon and she'd get my vote.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 02 Apr 2011, 20:39

I think she's quite plain, but who knows, maybe she was picked for personality. I don't much care, though, apart from hoping they will be happy, like any young couple.

Still (QUITE OFF TOPIC), I've always had a bit of an internal war with Catherine's spelled with a C. I am Katherine with a K. I guess it stems of being told in the first week of school that I had to now be referred to as "Katy" because there was Catherine in the class, and one couldn't shorten her name as easily as mine. Since then I spell Katie, IE, and have found that Catherine's are invariably plain and a bit wussy. I feel the same about her.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 03 Apr 2011, 00:03

All mimsy wrote:I think she's quite plain, but who knows, maybe she was picked for personality. I don't much care, though, apart from hoping they will be happy, like any young couple.

Still (QUITE OFF TOPIC), I've always had a bit of an internal war with Catherine's spelled with a C. I am Katherine with a K. I guess it stems of being told in the first week of school that I had to now be referred to as "Katy" because there was Catherine in the class, and one couldn't shorten her name as easily as mine. Since then I spell Katie, IE, and have found that Catherine's are invariably plain and a bit wussy. I feel the same about her.

What would have been so hard about her shortening her name to "Cathy"? Seems like a pretty stupid excuse to me. I can understand you feeling a little weird about it.

No doubt about it, the K is more striking than the C. Though Catherine has a very regal sound to it...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Apr 2011, 00:43

Each to his (or her) own. I think the princess-to-be is a honey.

John Mc

Postby John Mc » 03 Apr 2011, 00:56

The Dríver wrote:Phoebe Cates would get my vote. And indeed, has.

Bof! So what's to write home about? :) ;)

quix wrote:If you want to really live then you have to open yourself up to love... some you'll win, some you'll lose... but what is the point if being human if you don't dare?

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 03 Apr 2011, 01:09

John Mc wrote:

Nothing to write home about. Unless you LIKE looking at young, undeveloped women, in really quite an exploitative way....if THAT'S your bag, you write home about it all you like - you only need one hand to hold your pen, anyway....
Last edited by Polishgirl on 03 Apr 2011, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 03 Apr 2011, 01:11

But back to the point WITHOUT blokes posting pictures of tits.. :roll:

I wouldn't agree that Kate Middleton is plain. I think she's quite a pretty girl, if rather bland. But that's sort of her job really, isn't it? I think it's possible for men and/or women to be aesthetically attractive but not necessarily with any great sex appeal ,and I think Ms Middleton fits into that category quite comfortably.

What she's doing with HIM, however, I cannot even begin to fathom... :?
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 03 Apr 2011, 01:19

Apart from the supposition that the future king of the UK is in an advantageous position to bag himself a hot wife, what does it matter whether Kate Middleton is a hottie or not? They are long time friends and have weathered a few storms and appear to have come out of them with a renewed love for each other. Good luck to them.

John Mc

Postby John Mc » 03 Apr 2011, 01:52

polishgirl wrote:Nothing to write home about. Unless you LIKE looking at young, undeveloped women, in really quite an exploitative way....if THAT'S your bag, you write home about it all you like - you only need one hand to hold your pen, anyway....

Well, I am duly (and probably fairly) chastised, and I understand the charge of cheap sexism! Mea maxima culpa! However, I somehow do manage to live with my inner adolescent these days, life's too short to repent of that. But conversely, I've read my De Beauvoir, Kristeva, Irigaray, Cixous et al.... personally I can manage to reconcile that dichotomy!

But, that apart, a serious answer for you - let me ask you about that phrase:

'aesthetically attractive but not necessarily with any great sex appeal'.

Serious question -

1. Can we ever totally divorce the two (at least subjectively)?

and

2. Since there can only be either a cultural or social concensus on an aesthetic, who can answer the question? I care little for this royal guy, but why would he seek out a middle-aged American actor (who I remember fondly not - despite my previous cheap shot - for her tits but for her humour in 'Gremlins' ). The British class (and power) system doesn't work quite like that.
quix wrote:If you want to really live then you have to open yourself up to love... some you'll win, some you'll lose... but what is the point if being human if you don't dare?

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 03 Apr 2011, 02:52

The Dríver wrote:She's not a munter by any stretch of the imagination...

"Hey bro, no one is as great a Munter as I am - I am the mighty Munter, bro !"

("Munter" in NZ means someone very keen on booze and drugs, "munted" means badly damaged).
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 03 Apr 2011, 08:14

John Mc wrote:
polishgirl wrote:
But, that apart, a serious answer for you - let me ask you about that phrase:

'aesthetically attractive but not necessarily with any great sex appeal'.

Serious question -

1. Can we ever totally divorce the two (at least subjectively)?

and

2. Since there can only be either a cultural or social concensus on an aesthetic, who can answer the question? I care little for this royal guy, but why would he seek out a middle-aged American actor (who I remember fondly not - despite my previous cheap shot - for her tits but for her humour in 'Gremlins' ). The British class (and power) system doesn't work quite like that.

1) Well, we're all different but personally, I think it's perfectly possible to divorce the two. For example, I can look at Brad Pitt and see that he is a very handsome man but, for whatever reason, he just doesn't get me going. On the flipside of that, I see Hugh Laurie, who is not a classic "heartthrob" and is an older man who looks his age, and I find him utterly alluring.

It's a bit like looking at a beautifully decorated cake and thinking " Gosh, that's a pretty cake" but not actually liking cake or wanting to eat it...and opting for a lovely packet of rich tea biscuits instead.

2) And you're right on this one; look at what happened with Prince Andrew and Koo Stark. The most radical thing that you can say about Kate Middleton, is that she's a commoner and doesn't come from aristocracy. ( However, I hate all the stuff in the press along the lines of "Oooh, Kate: she's just a normal girl". No she isn't. Her parents are millionaires. That's not my idea of "normal"). So it's not an "either/or" in any realistic sense but just some kind of random, theoretical exercise on the part of us BCB weirdoes... :D

Footy
Filler

Postby Footy » 03 Apr 2011, 11:08

polishgirl wrote:
John Mc wrote:

Nothing to write home about. Unless you LIKE looking at young, undeveloped women, in really quite an exploitative way....if THAT'S your bag, you write home about it all you like - you only need one hand to hold your pen, anyway....

The girl, of course, is not exploiting us late middle-age chaps at all by getting her fabulously pert young norks out, is she?

How readily, how publicly she reveals them....in return for a handsome wad of cash, no doubt, too. Poor exploited little baba.

Being culturally inept, I've no idea who she is but she does have smashing tits.
Grab your coat sweetheart....I've got a knife.

sensi

Postby sensi » 03 Apr 2011, 11:13

I think she's a very attractive young woman...incredibly cute dimples.

They are just two young people in love...I just hope the lass is left alone and not stuck on a pedestal and driven to gin

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 03 Apr 2011, 11:18

sensi wrote:I think she's a very attractive young woman...incredibly cute dimples.

They are just two young people in love...I just hope the lass is left alone and not stuck on a pedestal and driven to gin

Wise words. The dangers of being a addicted celeb nutcase in the future are, alas, grave. I wouldn't want to trade with any royal for the life of me, not for any money and luxury in the world. It's an alienated, unreal, and perhaps psychotic life, without privacy, but with the possibility, every day, of the media grinding you to bits. No sane mind can stand up to that in the long run, you get inevitably corrupted.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Apr 2011, 11:33

Kates an above average looking lass but nothing special whereas Phoebe was a masturbation fantasy of mine for years...uber cuteness.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 03 Apr 2011, 12:57

Goat Boy wrote:Kates an above average looking lass but nothing special whereas Phoebe was a masturbation fantasy of mine for years...uber cuteness.

...and that leads me to stating that I prefer common people. I always get highly suspicious when I see blindingly beautiful persons, adored by all, up to the point of submission and slavery. Vanity rules, and so does utter manipulation. And the inevitable aging process makes those pearls vicious, aggressive, and depressive in their later years - to be avoided.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 03 Apr 2011, 13:14

Sea Of Tunes v2.0 wrote:And the inevitable aging process makes those pearls vicious, aggressive, and depressive in their later years - to be avoided.

Crikey. You really think?

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 03 Apr 2011, 13:16

Sir John Coan wrote:
Sea Of Tunes v2.0 wrote:And the inevitable aging process makes those pearls vicious, aggressive, and depressive in their later years - to be avoided.

Crikey. You really think?

Yes. Such is life.

Return to “Nextdoorland”