And if I come in on a donkey, let me go out on a gurney

Phil T

Re: life...

Postby Phil T » 23 Mar 2011, 11:28

is a minestrone. Apparently.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 23 Mar 2011, 11:30

Definitely a bit of a struggle at the moment. I've just realised I've missed a closing date for a suitable job, I'd thought I had until lunchtime today to get it off. That just leaves me with one suitable job to go for..and it's in Lowestoft. Just been reading up on the place on the net...it's not selling itself to me as a town! :(

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 23 Mar 2011, 11:32

A bit of both. I wouldn't swap it for the alternative though, even when it's a bit crap.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 23 Mar 2011, 11:33

BCB's philosophers are on their lunch break, then, I take it? :roll:

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 23 Mar 2011, 11:37

*clears throat, counts to ten*

if you HAD to choose, which one would it be? what do you TEND towards?

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 23 Mar 2011, 12:09

Sir John Coan wrote:BCB's philosophers are on their lunch break, then, I take it? :roll:

:lol:

Fuck's sake John, what do you want ? It's just life. Sometimes it's shit, sometimes it's ace, most of the time it's, well, OK. It's definitely improved by a good soundtrack.

Get the fuck on with it.

;)
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Postby the hanging monkey » 23 Mar 2011, 12:11

I don't HAVE to choose though, and it's a false dichotomy (you can look that one up, Coan). Listen to Nick at this point.
The Dríver wrote:We even have village idiots.

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 23 Mar 2011, 12:13

Yesterday when the Nina Simone remix version of Ooh Child came on at work, I started thinking of how badly I wanted the lyrics to be true. Even to the point of feeling like I was going to weep.

I guess I fall into the struggle camp.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 23 Mar 2011, 12:59

It is not a good as used to be but better than it has been.

hookfinger

Postby hookfinger » 23 Mar 2011, 13:05

Life is what you make of it. Somedays are better than others. But even the bad days beat the alternative. Life was a party in my 20's. It almost killed me. If I dwell on what a struggle it is, that may kill me. Everything in moderation.
Oh boy is it getting rough, when my old world charm isn't quite enough.

The Driver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Driver » 23 Mar 2011, 13:06

... not all it could be, but it could also be far, far worse. be thankful for the great things about it and try not to let the bad things get you down.
He's an idiot savant. Without the savant.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 23 Mar 2011, 13:08

The Champion wrote:Definitely a bit of a struggle at the moment. I've just realised I've missed a closing date for a suitable job, I'd thought I had until lunchtime today to get it off. That just leaves me with one suitable job to go for..and it's in Lowestoft. Just been reading up on the place on the net...it's not selling itself to me as a town! :(

Send it in anyway, especially if it is only a few days after. No one (who is not a bloody idiot) is going to ignore a really good candidate just because they missed a deadline (unless you missed it by weeks/months). Maybe phone first to apologise and explain, or offer to fax/e-mail it through. Showing a little pushiness and ingenuity in making sure they see your application is going to do you no harm at all.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 23 Mar 2011, 13:09

It's pretty fine most of the time, and when it isn't, why, that's why God invented wine, fags and very loud music.. :)
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Mar 2011, 13:46

A struggle mostly I guess. I'm always reminded of that line in Tokyo Story where somebody says life is 'disappointing' and the reply is merely, 'yes, yes it is', or something like that. I think if you accept that life is nearly always gonna be a struggle then you can work with it.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Zilth Pilchards

Postby Zilth Pilchards » 23 Mar 2011, 14:40

Kid P wrote:Where's the 'bowl of cherries' option?

Or "Life Is Just a Cher O'Bowlies"....as Charlie O and fan of Blues Magoos might say. :roll:

It's a struggle because we lose people along the way that we love,and that's it basically.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 23 Mar 2011, 14:45

the hanging monkey wrote:I don't HAVE to choose though, and it's a false dichotomy (you can look that one up, Coan). Listen to Nick at this point.

It would be a false dichotomy to state that life is either a struggle or a bundle of joys, as a fact. I'm just asking people to choose one or the other based on how they see things, how they feel, their temperament.

Do the ones who see life more as a struggle feel 'supported' by the idea that deep, intelligent people tend to have that kind of outlook?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 23 Mar 2011, 14:50

Sir John Coan wrote:

Do the ones who see life more as a struggle feel 'supported' by the idea that deep, intelligent people tend to have that kind of outlook?

You assume that those seeing it that way are doing so out of some existential anguish about the meaninglesness of life.
It could just be that they're worried about their gas being cut off because they can't afford to pay the bill.

Return to “Nextdoorland”