Cooker V Microwave

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

Oven Or Cooker

Oven
33%
Cooker, stove or whatever you want to call it.
67%

Total votes: 9

Jungry Ho'

Re: Cooker V Microwave

Postby Jungry Ho' » 16 Feb 2011, 19:12

Footy wrote:
Ricky D Santo wrote:
Footy wrote:, doze off, then wake up to cold coffee. 90 seconds in the microwave sorts that out.

coffee in the microwave? you sick sick man! i mean, c'mon....the microwave?......it's coffee not......argh.

What do you want me to do? Stick it in the fucking oven?
:lol:

The Great DeFector

Postby The Great DeFector » 16 Feb 2011, 19:42

Footy wrote:
Ricky D Santo wrote:
Footy wrote:, doze off, then wake up to cold coffee. 90 seconds in the microwave sorts that out.

coffee in the microwave? you sick sick man! i mean, c'mon....the microwave?......it's coffee not......argh.

Do you have a coffee maker that keeps coffee hot? pour some hot coffee in?

Witchypoo
Politically radical Nazgul

Postby Witchypoo » 16 Feb 2011, 20:14

I only use the microwave to re-heat things & even then I sometimes use the hob for that. The only thing I might actually cook in a microwave is jacket potatoes & thats only if I'm very pushed for time.
Then Mick asked 'Would it make me a class traitor if I banged Thatcher?'

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 16 Feb 2011, 20:21

Footy wrote:
Ricky D Santo wrote:

Hmmm... maybe you should have a cup of coffee before sitting down to enjoy a cup of coffee. That way you won't fall asleep, letting your coffee get cold.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 16 Feb 2011, 21:00

I don't own one, and don't see where there's any need.

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 16 Feb 2011, 21:01

Footy wrote:It's main use is in the morning when I get in from work. I make a coffee and sit down to watch the news, doze off, then wake up to cold coffee. 90 seconds in the microwave sorts that out.

I do the exact same thing! Except I get in from work in the evening. And it's tea.
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

Footy
Filler

Postby Footy » 16 Feb 2011, 21:58

Billybob Dylan wrote:
Footy wrote:It's main use is in the morning when I get in from work. I make a coffee and sit down to watch the news, doze off, then wake up to cold coffee. 90 seconds in the microwave sorts that out.

I do the exact same thing! Except I get in from work in the evening. And it's tea.

Now that you're an American, do you still put milk in your tea?
Last edited by Footy on 16 Feb 2011, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
Grab your coat sweetheart....I've got a knife.

Footy
Filler

Postby Footy » 16 Feb 2011, 22:05

Ricky D Santo wrote:
Do you have a coffee maker that keeps coffee hot? pour some hot coffee in?

Yes, of course I do. But I can't drink a whole pot of coffee before bed - I'd be peeing all day. A mug, or maybe two, of decent instant coffee (Alta Rica) doesn't cause too much bladder strain, even for a poor old chap like me. Neither does it keep me awake.
Grab your coat sweetheart....I've got a knife.

Fireplug

Postby Fireplug » 16 Feb 2011, 22:13

The microwave's a tool, like any other; used correctly and appropriately it's fine. Emergency defrosting, reheating portions, warming plates, warming milk for hot chocolate, steaming SOME vegetables (those that need only a blast -- I'm thinking broccoli here or quickly-steamed chopped cabbage before finishing it in the pan), poaching single eggs (not easy, but I've surprised some proper foodies with this one now I've got the hang of it) and indeed pre-cooking potatoes before you put them in the oven for roasting: all these are ok.

But compared with an oven it's a primitive, limited thing.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 16 Feb 2011, 22:44

I never bothered to replace my microwave when it broke but there are a handful of things that I miss it for:
re-heating left overs (especially rice which is troublesome to re-heat in an oven or on a stove)
heating christmas/steamed puddings (1 minute compared to 1 hour!)
making oil-free poppadoms

other than that I never used it. Unusually for Hong Kong I do actually have a conventional oven - Chinese never use them - and I will really miss it if we move to a flat without one as none of the places I've looked at so far have had one installed.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 16 Feb 2011, 22:54

LeBaron wrote:
Penk Ahoy! wrote:We don't even have a microwave. They have their uses, I suppose, but we're perfectly happy using the oven for any reheating duties.

I don't own one and never have (though T-Berry has brought his to my place). And i have never stopped in the kitchen and thought, "damn, I really wish I had a microwave right now, maybe I should get one."

We had one in my bachelor days. We had an odd old double-wide oven/stove thing with a big horizontal surface, so we put the microwave on it. Kind of like this, but with gas:

Then we melted the microwave's plastic housing when we cooked something in the stove, so we never even got to use it once. Oh well.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Feb 2011, 23:24

Fired Plug wrote:But compared with an oven it's a primitive, limited thing.

Don't tell my microwaved corn dogs that.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 17 Feb 2011, 00:09

I find that human flesh tastes best when done in a microwave and my co-workers agree!
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 17 Feb 2011, 00:14

Footy wrote:
Billybob Dylan wrote:

Now that you're an American, do you still put milk in your tea?

Of course.
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

sensi

Postby sensi » 17 Feb 2011, 07:52

Fired Plug wrote:The microwave's a tool, like any other; used correctly and appropriately it's fine. warming plates,

I use it for warming plates up daily...I don't see the point of serving hot food on a cold plate

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 17 Feb 2011, 08:05

I thought the whole point of a microwave was that it just warmed the food. It shouldn't warm plates

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 17 Feb 2011, 09:24

The Prof wrote:I thought the whole point of a microwave was that it just warmed the food. It shouldn't warm plates

If the stuff the dish or plate is made from has a high metal content (usually iron), it will get hot. I have two bowls like this that get really hot, while the food in them barely gets warm, when used in the microwave.

Fireplug

Postby Fireplug » 17 Feb 2011, 09:26

The Prof wrote:I thought the whole point of a microwave was that it just warmed the food. It shouldn't warm plates

Depends on the plate. Some materials -- those used in "microwave safe" cooking dishes and the microwave's turntable -- are transparent to microwaves and shouldn't be directly affected. Other materials (like stoneware, which is what I assume my cheap IKEA plates are) will be heated. You certainly shouldn't leave them in there for a long time and you should probably be prepared for the occasional cracked plate (though it's never happened to me) as uneven heating or manufacturing flaws could cause problems. 30 seconds to warm them up, though, works a treat.

Jungry Ho'

Postby Jungry Ho' » 17 Feb 2011, 11:19

Left over mashed potato reheats perfectly in the micro. Topped with a couple of duck eggs fried in olive oil ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, what an excuse for a black pepper frenzy.

sensi

Postby sensi » 17 Feb 2011, 12:28

As we can't start a thread on Masterchef in this forum what on earth have they done to it?...they've changed the format and it's hideous now :x

Return to “Nextdoorland”