Cooker V Microwave

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

Oven Or Cooker

Oven
33%
Cooker, stove or whatever you want to call it.
67%

Total votes: 9

The Great DeFector

Cooker V Microwave

Postby The Great DeFector » 16 Feb 2011, 17:59

I don't know what it is but i hate using the microwave to cook things or reheat things. I know it's quicker and that but the oven just seems better. I also think it tastes better coming from the oven as well. I'm not gonna lie i use the microwave a few times for the likes of making popcorn or heating up a packet of rice if i couldn't be bothered to boil it. Where do you stand on this important to the people, life changing subject?

sloopjohnc

Re: Cooker V Microwave

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Feb 2011, 18:12

The microwave is the domestic equivalent to the last great rock band.

And don't forget it.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

The Great DeFector

Postby The Great DeFector » 16 Feb 2011, 18:14

sloopjohnc wrote:The microwave is the domestic equivalent to the last great rock band.

And don't forget it.

I seen you've been coanised, i'll always remember you as one of the good guys sloop.

Jungry Ho'

Postby Jungry Ho' » 16 Feb 2011, 18:15

My microwave gets used for heating plates more than anything else. I don't mind heating ready meals in it, but I can't remember the last time I cooked something in it.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Feb 2011, 18:18

I use the microwave every day.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Feb 2011, 18:22

Ricky D Santo wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:The microwave is the domestic equivalent to the last great rock band.

And don't forget it.

I seen you've been coanised, i'll always remember you as one of the good guys sloop.

The microwave is to Nirvana what the toaster oven is to Wilco.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 16 Feb 2011, 18:24

We don't even have a microwave. They have their uses, I suppose, but we're perfectly happy using the oven for any reheating duties.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

The Great DeFector

Postby The Great DeFector » 16 Feb 2011, 18:25

sloopjohnc wrote:
Ricky D Santo wrote:

And don't forget it.

The microwave is to Nirvana what the toaster oven is to Wilco.

Please stop, i can't watch you degrading yourself like this. I just want to remember you like you used to be.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Feb 2011, 18:26

Penk Ahoy! wrote:We don't even have a microwave. They have their uses, I suppose, but we're perfectly happy using the oven for any reheating duties.

I figured you were a dubious personality, but this just proves my suspicions.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 16 Feb 2011, 18:34

Penk Ahoy! wrote:We don't even have a microwave. They have their uses, I suppose, but we're perfectly happy using the oven for any reheating duties.

I don't own one and never have (though T-Berry has brought his to my place). And i have never stopped in the kitchen and thought, "damn, I really wish I had a microwave right now, maybe I should get one."
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Footy
Filler

Postby Footy » 16 Feb 2011, 18:35

I have a microwave but don't use it much and certainly not for cooking (with the exception of vegetables, those packs of broccoli, cauli and carrots in particular).
It's main use is in the morning when I get in from work. I make a coffee and sit down to watch the news, doze off, then wake up to cold coffee. 90 seconds in the microwave sorts that out.
Grab your coat sweetheart....I've got a knife.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 16 Feb 2011, 18:35

I vastly prefer heating things in the oven or on the stovetop, but the microwave certainly can be convenient at times.

I wouldn't put up too much of a fight, though, if you took it away.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

The Great DeFector

Postby The Great DeFector » 16 Feb 2011, 18:37

Footy wrote:, doze off, then wake up to cold coffee. 90 seconds in the microwave sorts that out.

coffee in the microwave? you sick sick man! i mean, c'mon....the microwave?......it's coffee not......argh.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Feb 2011, 18:42

LeBaron wrote:

I don't own one and never have (though T-Berry has brought his to my place). And i have never stopped in the kitchen and thought, "damn, I really wish I had a microwave right now, maybe I should get one."

If a boy ever comes to me to ask for my blessing in marrying my daughter, my first question will be "cooker or microwave?"

If he answers cooker, they better elope.

sensi

Postby sensi » 16 Feb 2011, 18:46

I wished they had microwaves all those years ago when my mam used to keep my dinner...and my dad's dinner...warm by leaving the plate over a simmering pan of water...you don't get congealed gravy in a microwave :?

I rarely cook in my microwave...I just use it for reheating stuff or warming milk to go in cereal.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 16 Feb 2011, 18:48

There is something peculiar, something samey, with food heated in the microwave. Like as if all that is particular, idiosyncratic about lovely taste has been eliminated. As if the general microwave taste has been decided upon beforehand by the dullest people on the planet.

It can come in handy to heat prefab Chinese food. With Italian stuff, it's truly awful. Lasagne then is the very worst offender, a mealy brick on your stomach that can make you feel desperate.

The stove can be Orchestre Baobab, Van Dyke Parks, Bunny Wailer, John Fahey, or Ry Cooder.

The microwave always is the Dave Matthews Band.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Feb 2011, 18:51

Sea Of Tunes v2.0 wrote:There is something peculiar, something samey, with food heated in the microwave. Like as if all that is particular, idiosyncratic about lovely taste has been eliminated. As if the general microwave taste has been decided upon beforehand by the dullest people on the planet.

It can come in handy to heat prefab Chinese food. With Italian stuff, it's truly awful. Lasagne then is the very worst offender, a mealy brick on your stomach that can make you feel desperate.

The stove can be Orchestre Baobab, Van Dyke Parks, Bunny Wailer, John Fahey, or Ry Cooder.

The microwave always is the Dave Matthews Band.

Well said, but I'll continue to use the microwave for frozen dinners.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Feb 2011, 18:53

Sea Of Tunes v2.0 wrote:It can come in handy to heat prefab Chinese food. With Italian stuff, it's truly awful. Lasagne then is the very worst offender, a mealy brick on your stomach that can make you feel desperate.

I love lasagna reheated in the microwave.

The trick is to heat it all the way through without making the crust too tough.

Footy
Filler

Postby Footy » 16 Feb 2011, 19:09

Ricky D Santo wrote:
Footy wrote:, doze off, then wake up to cold coffee. 90 seconds in the microwave sorts that out.

coffee in the microwave? you sick sick man! i mean, c'mon....the microwave?......it's coffee not......argh.

What do you want me to do? Stick it in the fucking oven?
Grab your coat sweetheart....I've got a knife.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 16 Feb 2011, 19:12

Footy wrote:
Ricky D Santo wrote:

What do you want me to do? Stick it in the fucking oven?

:lol:
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Return to “Nextdoorland”