Moby Grape

Do talk back
Balboa

Re: Moby Grape

Postby Balboa » 14 Aug 2010, 21:28

I am just listening to the Avalon SF set - were they the best band on the scene? They sound incredible.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

der nister

Postby der nister » 14 Aug 2010, 21:40

Balboa wrote:I am just listening to the Avalon SF set - were they the best band on the scene? They sound incredible.

Yes, easily

still waiting for live concert that was taped for second half of WoW, that Grape Jam replaced

always have baby Grape: Frumious Bandersnatch
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 14 Aug 2010, 21:49

zphage wrote:
Balboa wrote:I am just listening to the Avalon SF set - were they the best band on the scene? They sound incredible.

Yes, easily

still waiting for live concert that was taped for second half of WoW, that Grape Jam replaced

There isn't a tighter group. What the hell happened with these guys? (I know - but it breaks my heart).

And by the way, the version of 'Omaha' is BLISTERING.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 14 Aug 2010, 22:28

The camera's in the wrong place -- Jerry's playing lead, over on the left.

Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 15 Aug 2010, 14:27

That guy in The Coachmen is a different Jerry Miller.

Balboa wrote:
zphage wrote:

Yes, easily

There isn't a tighter group. What the hell happened with these guys? (I know - but it breaks my heart).

And by the way, the version of 'Omaha' is BLISTERING.

Most indubitably, my learned friend

Most indubitably

I love that part near the end of Changes where you can hear Skip yell out, "Hallelujah!" That Avalon set really does capture a great moment in time, thank God it's finally seeing the light of day.

I had that Frumious Bandersnatch cd for a while. I didn't dig it as much as I wanted to. That one lead guitarist really needed a producer (or tape editor) to rein him in - 32 bars of weedly-weedly is one thing, but three or four minutes of it? And most of the songwriting just didn't strike me as being all that special. I did like their sound, though, and I especially liked Bob Winkelman's voice. Bet they would have been a lot of fun to see in a live setting.

More links:

Peter Lewis' tribute to his mother
http://www.loretta-young.com/tribute-peter-lewis.html

Peter and his sister on Larry King ("The Moby Grapes" - hooo boooy! :lol: )
http://quiz.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0106/06/lkl.00.html

A recent article in which Bob Mosley doesn't sound too enthused about the band's future (the writer makes a couple factual errors too, but oh well)
http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news ... moby-grape

"Quite."

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 15 Aug 2010, 14:57

zoomboogity wrote:A recent article in which Bob Mosley doesn't sound too enthused about the band's future (the writer makes a couple factual errors too, but oh well)
http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news ... moby-grape

Mosley sez: “We couldn’t go on without ‘Skip’. We missed his input. It just didn’t work without him. So I left the band after being conscripted, and joined the Marines.”

That's a new one on me - I've always read that he just quit the band and joined the Marines, never that he was, umm, "asked" to do so. It always struck me as one of the more bizarre "career moves."

Muskrat
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 15 Aug 2010, 16:56

zoomboogity wrote:That guy in The Coachmen is a different Jerry Miller.

Whoops! Pretty good, though. I'd pay (relatively little) to see more of that one, too.

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

Muskrat

Postby Muskrat » 19 Sep 2010, 17:30

Jon Tiven just reported on Facebook that Chrissie Hynde, in Nashville last night, performed "Murder in My Heart for the Judge."

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 20 Sep 2010, 09:27

She's been doing that one quite a bit lately:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010 ... pretending

Hynde also vowed that their Friday performance here at Humphrey’s will include the classic “Murder in My Heart for the Judge,” which was written and sung by San Diego’s Bob Mosley during his tenure in the legendary Bay Area band Moby Grape.

“If we have anything to do with it,” Hynde said, “by the end of this tour every 30-year-old in America will know who Moby Grape is.”

This is in NYC:

Here's Cody Miller, Jamming With Grandpa

Last edited by zoomboogity on 12 Oct 2010, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 12 Oct 2010, 04:51

Some very interesting chat going on at the Grape yahoo group regarding the infamous "ax incident" that landed Skip in Bellevue. The folks doing the chatting include Mosley's wife, friends of Skip, and someone who has conducted hours of interviews with the band members, so they would know.

Seems that the whole "coming after the other guys with an ax" isn't at all accurate, nor is the whole "the guys in your band are possessed by Satan" bit. The part where Skip fell in with some pretty sinister characters is true, and they did feed him tons of drugs until he was disoriented and paranoid, but that's where the truth and legend part ways.

Skip's new "friends" convinced him that the band was in danger from Satanic forces (turns out they were right on that count!), so he went back to the hotel to tell them. Knocked on the door, no answer, so he found a fire ax to break the door down - after all, this was an emergency, right? He had no intention of killing anyone.

He still had the ax when he arrived at the studio, but that's because he wasn't really thinking clearly. (New York, where you can hail a cab while holding an ax and still get a lift!) The producer asked him to hand it over, and he did. No struggle, no chasing anyone around the console, nothing.

This is where the whole thing becomes really tragic, and maybe completely avoidable: instead of simply talking him through his obvious bad trip, the producer called the cops, who locked him up at The Tombs before sending him to Bellevue for six months. He got shot up with Thorazine and given electroshock treatments, which may have screwed him up more than anything he was doing to himself. Some folks at the group speculate that the whole legend was built up to divert from the actions of others.

That's not to say that Skip wasn't an odd character from the start, even in his more happy-go-lucky days. According to Don Stevenson in the liner notes of the Sundazed Oar reissue:

Skippy had this facial thing going on all the time. When you'd say something, and you weren't who you wanted to be, he'd roll his eyes back in his head and smile at you. And he had a wristwatch - half red and half white - and if what you were saying was in the red, it acted like a B.S.-ometer. He'd give you this look and you'd have to change what you said. Skippy would immediately call you on all your shit. He'd smile at you, roll his eyes and you'd say, "Let me take a moment."

So while he may have had problems over time anyway, it's possible that they wouldn't have been nearly as severe as they were.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 12 Oct 2010, 05:10

Very sad. I'd heard (that is, read) at least one of the band members say that Rubinson was a schmuck for calling the cops (he may not have used that exact word).

I did always think it was remarkable that Don Stevenson never seemed to hold any grudges against the guy that supposedly came after him with an axe!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 12 Oct 2010, 05:11

Classic photo, there!

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 12 Oct 2010, 05:28

Here are a few more I found while searching for that one (the first one looks like it was from the same session that produced the cover of the first album):

Last edited by zoomboogity on 09 Jun 2017, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 12 Oct 2010, 06:59

http://www.sonicboomers.com/pastprint/a ... kip-spence

"I'll tell you a good one, a realy good one," says Jerry Miller, long-time guitarist with Moby Grape, warming to the subject of his former bandmate Skip Spence. "Way back in the old days, we were playing Augusta, Maine and there was a blizzard. So we got two cars, and we're cruising along, and there's ice on the road. And here comes Skippy with a carload of the boys. Skippy's driving just like it's the freeway, normal. He comes whipping by us, and we're sitting there white-knuckled -- and he comes by us, 70-80 miles an hour. ZZZOOM! We were laughing our asses off. And he made it to Boston before us. But it was amazing. And I said, I wouldn't want to be in that car."

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 12 Oct 2010, 07:13

These remind me of the stories the Dead always told about Neal Casady...

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 12 Oct 2010, 08:04

Charlie O. wrote:These remind me of the stories the Dead always told about Neal Casady...

Yeah, those ones sounds pretty hairy!

As with all these music myths, it doesn't surprise me that it turns out to be a little less dramatic than originally thought. Skip's story is as sad as they come I think - particularily the later years. He never had the cushion of regular royalty payments or superstar boosters.

It's hard to speculate how it would have turned out for him though - I do wonder what exactly went down in NYC with this mysterious group of people who were pumping him with drugs (well I am sure he was happily ingesting). It was a girl he was hanging with at the time? Plus her friends?

And yeah, love that picture - I've seen it before somewhere and I am not sure where.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 12 Oct 2010, 08:46

Balboa wrote:As with all these music myths, it doesn't surprise me that it turns out to be a little less dramatic than originally thought. Skip's story is as sad as they come I think - particularily the later years. He never had the cushion of regular royalty payments or superstar boosters.

There's also the case of Buchwald v. Katz, the Airplane's suit (Buchwald being Balin's real name). After 20 years or so, the band finally signed away the publishing rights to their first two albums, including several written or co-written by Skip. As I remember it (and the whole thing's too depressing to keep net searching on it, so I'll just go from memory), Skip wasn't party to those proceedings. Poor dude just got hung out to dry.

Eventually a few people came out to help, the main one possibly being Herbie Herbert, manager of Journey and Santana. There was an interview with him in the local music freebie BAM (Bay Area Music) where he says that he used to see them play in their early days and considers them to be one of the greatest bands he's ever seen. He took it upon himself to spend millions of his own money to hire a lawyer and pay for the band's court costs. It's largely due to his efforts that things finally began to turn around. So where I used to hear Journey songs and just wince, now I hear them in a whole new light (that they earned their manager enough money to do this). Wheel in the sky, and all that! Incidentally, Skip's final gig was in 1996, at a roast for Herbert at a place in Santa Cruz called Palookaville. The whole band was there, except for Mosley.

Balboa wrote:It was a girl he was hanging with at the time? Plus her friends?

Yes. And of course, they may have provided him with the drugs, but he certainly wasn't force-fed!

Balboa wrote:And yeah, love that picture - I've seen it before somewhere and I am not sure where.

The booklet in Vintage. And the third photo in the next post is in the Sundazed Oar reissue.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 20 Oct 2010, 23:59

Looking at the Taxim Records website, I see that Peter Lewis' Live In Bremen disc is now deleted. You can still pick up a copy from davidwest.com - "offer good while supplies last!"

In other news, The Jerry Miller Band is returning to Don Quixote's in Felton (near Santa Cruz). Only thing is, it's November 27, the day after Thanksgiving, which may scuttle any plans I could make to go. Yerreee, why yoo doo ziss too meeeee? Maybe he'll do another gig somewhere else nearby that weekend...

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 21 Oct 2010, 07:11

Some of these guys seem pretty active with touring right now - that's a good thing I think, although it invariably means they need to keep touring to pay the bills (which is a little sad I guess).

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 21 Oct 2010, 13:57

That may be true for Jerry, although he rarely ventures outside his home turf (Seattle/Tacoma) these days. As for money, I think there may have been a few bucks coming in from legal settlements, and of course they're finally seeing royalties flow their way through recent releases from Sundazed (those new archival releases and the reissues haven't done badly). In Peter's case, of course, money isn't an issue, he's just making music because he's in the mood again.

What I find sad is that we probably won't be seeing any Grape shows anytime soon, especially since they're all still playing well and (at least in Peter's and Don's cases) in good voice, with Omar Spence to pick up any slack. When Peter played in Hollywood a few months ago, he announced one song as being from the new album they've been working on - "...but since everyone's arguing like a bunch of old ladies, it's probably gonna end up sitting on a shelf somewhere and never coming out... it's too bad, they're great songs." Then he played it, and it was. But you just never know with these guys....