60s/70s Soul Artists We Don't Like

Do talk back
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: 60s/70s Soul Artists We Don't Like

Postby toomanyhatz » 24 Sep 2010, 02:10

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Either you're poking at me because you love to do that, or you have a persecution complex.

How long have you known me? You don't have a suspicion which one it might be? :lol:

You're right. It's both. :lol:
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 24 Sep 2010, 04:40

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Here the greatness of Kraftwerk is a given, but Ray and Stevie are always on trial. I simply find this to be a bit through the looking glass.

I don't think so at all. I don't see that Ray and Stevie are treated as anything but heroes here on BCB, except for the fact that we note that some of Stevie's later work is undeniably crappy (and also neither one of them can drive worth a shit!).

Also, the greatness of Kraftwerk isn't a given here. They've been the recipients of some of Fartpants' funniest insults.
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 24 Sep 2010, 04:51

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Here the greatness of Kraftwerk is a given, but Ray and Stevie are always on trial.

Ray & Stevie = Awesome
Stevie Ray = Not so much.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

mission

Postby mission » 24 Sep 2010, 07:15

There are, to my ears, two reasons why this genre of music performed in this time period is so mindbogglingly consistent.

One is the previously mentioned production process, which saw quality tunes get filtered through a label/studio's aesthetics, arranged by people who knew what they were doing and played by cats of impeccable levels of musicianship. And sung by people hungry with the need to be known. You had to hit it or quit it.

The other is a case of my own capacity to appreciate it, given who I am and where I come from. The more orchestrated/slicker stuff is music that is out of my realms of capability. I have no idea how these people made such sounds - they are making music I cannot make and I can't judge it with the same criteria I use to judge rock records of tunes I can conceivably reproduce. When I was playing a lot with my bands, I listened almost exclusively to Coltrane because I didn't spend any time wondering how Jones did that or that or how the fuck did he do that? I knew I could never play like that and could just relax in the sound, without listening to learn or take apart or be analytical with. Same with superfunky 70s shit or super-slick 70s shit - that shit is out of my league.

The downside is the strictures of the forms and the universally high levels of musicianship can wander over to the muddying, el-same-o-same-o end of the all-sounding-a-bit-the-same-to-me spectrum.

The great acts and great songs stick out and cannot be denied but the bulk of it is of a mystifyingly uniform high level of achievement. Like eating lasagne every night. It can sometimes get to a point where I lack the capacity to determine if anything is really good or not and, further, my incapacity to spot the dud tracks makes me question my ability to judge at all.

That may be one of the appeals of "difficult" music. The high amount of unlistenable garbage makes the bright spots brighter.
Goodness gracious me.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 24 Sep 2010, 10:03

Count Machuki wrote:
G-Z wrote:There's no excuse, by way of example, for Take a Look at Those Cakes.

Now, hold it right there!

That's a great record.

:? :shock:
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 24 Sep 2010, 15:47

G-Z wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:
G-Z wrote:There's no excuse, by way of example, for Take a Look at Those Cakes.

Now, hold it right there!

That's a great record.

:? :shock:

Let's let BCB be the judge...

Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 24 Sep 2010, 15:52

the title track is decent enough i suppose - very generic and run of the mill, but groovey enough I suppose - but the rest of the album is terminally dull.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 24 Sep 2010, 15:52

king feeb wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Here the greatness of Kraftwerk is a given, but Ray and Stevie are always on trial. I simply find this to be a bit through the looking glass.

I don't think so at all. I don't see that Ray and Stevie are treated as anything but heroes here on BCB, except for the fact that we note that some of Stevie's later work is undeniably crappy (and also neither one of them can drive worth a shit!).

Also, the greatness of Kraftwerk isn't a given here. They've been the recipients of some of Fartpants' funniest insults.

Completely agree. I can't imagine the size of the howling, pitchfork-wielding mob that'd assemble if someone criticised Ray Charles around here, but there are plenty of folks who recoil from stuff like Kraftwerk.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 24 Sep 2010, 16:01

G-Z wrote:the title track is decent enough i suppose - very generic and run of the mill, but groovey enough I suppose - but the rest of the album is terminally dull.

Alright, you've said your piece...

;)
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 10 Feb 2018, 08:11

This is the kind of stuff I wish we were still talking about. Some great posts here.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 10 Feb 2018, 09:13

toomanyhatz wrote:This is the kind of stuff I wish we were still talking about. Some great posts here.

And I wasn't even here then to point out that lots of the artists discussed aren't even soul at all ;)
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 10 Feb 2018, 10:13

K wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:This is the kind of stuff I wish we were still talking about. Some great posts here.

A lot of bloody nonsense too.

It was an interesting thread. The premise - that we tend to be much less critical of soul greats, is generally true in my experience, but we're kind of in denial about it. I thought JSJ's post near the beginning of the thread was spot on.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Feb 2018, 11:48

The Modernist wrote:
K wrote:

A lot of bloody nonsense too.

It was an interesting thread. The premise - that we tend to be much less critical of soul greats, is generally true in my experience, but we're kind of in denial about it. I thought JSJ's post near the beginning of the thread was spot on.

It's something I've thought for years.

"*insert name of white artist here* that shit is too white, man!"

I think a lot of white music fans are somewhere on the Keith Richards spectrum (heh, heh, those black cats man, heh heh heh)
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 10 Feb 2018, 11:50

Goat Boy wrote:
I think a lot of white music fans are somewhere on the Keith Richards spectrum (heh, heh, those black cats man, heh heh heh)

Yep.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 10 Feb 2018, 12:07

N/A
Last edited by Dr Markus on 10 Feb 2018, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 10 Feb 2018, 12:35

Rayge wrote:

And I wasn't even here then to point out that lots of the artists discussed aren't even soul at all ;)

Ah, nobody wants to play. Back under the bridge then. I think there's some left-over goat in the fridge...
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 10 Feb 2018, 12:47

I'll tell you what I didn't like about the 60s and 70s soul music and that was the glitzy costumes and the martial dancing. To illustrate this, in a Cheech and Chong movie when they are starting a band a member comes back with uniforms, these brass-buttoned tight vesty things and Chong says "We look like fucking busboys." And, the 60s 70s soul guys looked like fucking busboys or servants dancing all in unison, all identically dressed. A hell of a statement when we were supposedly liberating ourselves.
Question authority.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 10 Feb 2018, 13:17

Rayge wrote:
Rayge wrote:

Ah, nobody wants to play. Back under the bridge then. I think there's some left-over goat in the fridge...

I'm thinking of running a Soul Cup after the BCB Cup, Ray; if so, I look forward to some lively debates about what's 'the real deal' with you. :twisted:
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 10 Feb 2018, 13:18

My Roachford picks are ready to go.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 10 Feb 2018, 13:23

nev harp wrote:My Roachford picks are ready to go.

Just stay away from Alexander O'Neal.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Return to “Yakety Yak”