Good
32%
Average
7%
Poor/Minor Beatles
23%

Total votes: 56

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: Beatles song no 2: Blue Jay Way

Postby Moleskin » 16 Apr 2010, 19:44

Snarfyguy wrote:Great song; great production; you guys are trippin'. What do you like, The Fool on the Hill?

What's the matter, the melody line doesn't do enough acrobatics for you? The subject matter is too mundane? It's dreary?

Well get over yourselves. It's a masterpiece of paranoia and foreboding and a key psychedelic track, brilliantly prefiguring the Manson killings and generally significantly upping the ante as far as what moods rock music could express.

And the sound of it! George's otherworldly incantation and all those phased drums and swirling cellos, Good God a'mighty, how does this not appeal? What is it you people want?

* applause *

It's a lovely track. Hypnotic and droning and all those things Snarfy already said.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 16 Apr 2010, 19:45

pënk wrote:I like the MMM album on the whole,.

*cough*
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 16 Apr 2010, 20:12

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:And Ringo's drumming is genius on it.

Dude.

Absofuckinglutely.

Brian Wilson

Postby Brian Wilson » 16 Apr 2010, 20:13

I chose "it's poor" and that's being charitable.
"I earned my famous name."

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 16 Apr 2010, 20:28

the hanging monkey wrote:If The Beatles had recorded themselves pissing into a tin bath ensemble then somebody on here would proclaim it a work of heart-rending genius.

that would be anthology 2.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 16 Apr 2010, 20:34

Sir John Coan wrote:It's one of a small number of Beatles' songs I don't actually know very well. I'll give it a good listen later and report back.

It's rubbish.

I'd leave it at that, but....what's all this stuff about how great Ringo's drumming is here? most of us could do just as good a job!

There is, without a doubt, a certain amount of wishful thinking/Emperor's New Clothes-syndrome happening here. It saddens me to see such delusion, in all seriousness.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 16 Apr 2010, 20:44

Yeah, this period of George is one of the enduring treats in their repertoire. That he went from this to 'Something'... well, just tragic really.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 16 Apr 2010, 20:45

Leg of lamb wrote:Yeah, this period of George is one of the enduring treats in their repertoire. That he went from this to 'Something'... well, just tragic really.

:shock:

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 16 Apr 2010, 20:48

Sir John Coan wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:It's one of a small number of Beatles' songs I don't actually know very well. I'll give it a good listen later and report back.

It's rubbish.

I'd leave it at that, but....what's all this stuff about how great Ringo's drumming is here? most of us could do just as good a job!

There is, without a doubt, a certain amount of wishful thinking/Emperor's New Clothes-syndrome happening here. It saddens me to see such delusion, in all seriousness.

I'd thump you for less.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 16 Apr 2010, 20:50

*exits thread for good, shaking head*

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 16 Apr 2010, 22:15

Is anybody gonna give me a "Fuck yeah!" on the 2009 MMT mono CD?

Playing it right now, and it sounds like the best thing I've ever heard.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 16 Apr 2010, 22:18

Sir John San Juan And His Old Lady wrote:Is anybody gonna give me a "Fuck yeah!" on the 2009 MMT mono CD?

Playing it right now, and it sounds like the best thing I've ever heard.

I just got the mono box a few weeks ago, but I haven't played that one yet. I'm waiting for the weather to get a little nicer. Meanwhile I'm relishing the anticipation!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Mr Maps
a drunk in a midnight choir

Postby Mr Maps » 16 Apr 2010, 22:20

I have to join in with Snarf, Guye, Baron and San Juan, it's always been a stand out track on this record for me.
Better than Fool On The Hill, Flying, Hello Goodbye and Your Mother Should Know.
nathan wrote:I realize there is a time and a place for unsexy music, but I personally have no time for it.

Django wrote: It's video clips of earnest post-rock I want, and I have little time for anything else.

19th biggest tosser on BCB

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 17 Apr 2010, 00:54

Mr Maps wrote:I have to join in with Snarf, Guye, Baron and San Juan, it's always been a stand out track on this record for me.
Better than Fool On The Hill, Flying, Hello Goodbye and Your Mother Should Know.

A stand out of the album. Absolutely. Good man.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 17 Apr 2010, 01:04

the hanging monkey wrote:It's fucking abysmal, if it was by anyone else then there wouldn't even be any debate.

I like it more than that, but you're right -- context helps. And it's not my least favorite George song (Within You Without You for one), and jumps ahead of Piggies, Maxwell, Bathroom, and any number of other fillers.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 17 Apr 2010, 01:13

Sir John San Juan And His Old Lady wrote:Is anybody gonna give me a "Fuck yeah!" on the 2009 MMT mono CD?

Fuck Yeah!
George was the mack, coming correct with the dark psychedelic shit. It's a shame they didn't push it further than this, "It's All Too Much," "Only A Northern Song." All that dark, gnarly shit. I'll give him some credit for "Flying" too, just because it seems only fair.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 17 Apr 2010, 01:48

The sound of it's magical, but it is a bit of a nothing song. I do like the chord structure, though.

Verse:

C (repeat)

Chorus:

C (repeat)

:lol:

So at the end, is he saying "don't be long" or "don't belong?" Accidental ambiguity, or is George embracing it?
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 17 Apr 2010, 01:53

toomanyhatz wrote:So at the end, is he saying "don't be long" or "don't belong?" Accidental ambiguity, or is George embracing it?

I've always gone with the "intentional ambiguity" theory.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 17 Apr 2010, 01:54

toomanyhatz wrote:So at the end, is he saying "don't be long" or "don't belong?" Accidental ambiguity, or is George embracing it?

He's deep like that, bro.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 17 Apr 2010, 02:41

Just listened again.

The detractors here are insane. Such a great track. The cello in particular is amazing. Who had the idea to have it imitate wha would normally be a sitar part? George Martin must have had a field day!

And no Coan, nobody here could play anything like the drums on this.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Return to “Yakety Yak”