All Tomorrow's Parties (Australia)

Do talk back
mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Re: All Tomorrow's Parties (Australia)

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 20 Jan 2009, 04:07

Chris Bailey has always been a bit of a tosser. Barman was probably right, he was being a reasoned critic, I was just really getting into actually seeing the Saints play live.
king of the divan

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 20 Jan 2009, 04:11

mentalist (slight return) wrote:Chris Bailey has always been a bit of a tosser. Barman was probably right, he was being a reasoned critic, I was just really getting into actually seeing the Saints play live.

After seeing Bailey in pajama bottoms, all objectivity flew out the window, right?

I've still yet to hear the Laughing Clowns. I know, shame on me.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 20 Jan 2009, 05:02

Jeff K wrote:I've still yet to hear the Laughing Clowns. I know, shame on me.

Indeed. One of my absolute favoruite groups. If you want to * cough * PM me.
king of the divan

James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 21 Jan 2009, 10:45

Off-topic, but can I just observe that I've finally been able to access the contents of the disc the late Mr Smith gave us at the Jolly-Up a week ago, and I am stunned to discover just what's on there (and, contrary to what he said, I've got hardly anything on there already). My curiosity regarding more than a few albums and artists is about to be well satisfied...
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 21 Jan 2009, 11:47

I echo those sentiments! Not much that I recognised either. Well done sir!
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

hookfinger

Postby hookfinger » 22 Jan 2009, 01:54

Nick Cave and Robert Forster recordings from ATP

They also have a bunch of Laughing Clowns, Jeff.
Oh boy is it getting rough, when my old world charm isn't quite enough.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 22 Jan 2009, 04:31

The rumors were true. Mick Harvey has left the Bad Seeds...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... ion=justin

Looks like you guys saw his last ever performance with Nick.

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 22 Jan 2009, 05:44

Jeff K wrote:The rumors were true. Mick Harvey has left the Bad Seeds...

Fucking hell !! :o :shock: Mentalist and I almost literally bumped into the truly great Mr Harvey as we headed up the hill to the Barracks Stage, on Saturday. As we later watched the Bad Seeds, I remember thinking to myself "Mick Harvey is the only original Bad Seed left these days".
He's one of the most talented sidemen in the game, a superb multi-instrumentalist and has made a huge contribution to Cave's success.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 22 Jan 2009, 13:55

Well shit. Looks like I shall be playing a few songs of his on the show next week...
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 22 Jan 2009, 21:47

James R wrote:

Well shit. Looks like I shall be playing a few songs of his on the show next week...

The emphasis of the band has shifted from Harvey to Warren Ellis and some might say (me included) has gotten weaker because of it. Leaving the Bad Seeds will mean more time for Harvey to make solo albums and compose soundtracks. Which is always a good thing. Cave will miss Harvey more than Harvey will miss him.

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 23 Jan 2009, 08:04

The Island was a great venue, a short ferry ride there, before having a good nosey around it. Over the years' it's been a prison, reform school and boat-building yard.
There were four venues (one big, one small, two medium) scattered around the island.
After a look at the Louis Wain art exhibition (psychotic cats, etc), it was time to check out the first bands...

Hunter Dienna played swooping pop music, good but nothing truly amazing. The Stabs are an abrasive Melbourne trio, they resembled The Gordons, so I was sold on them from the word go.

On the main (Foundery) stage, Bridezilla, who were until a few months ago a schoolgirl band, played very twisted pop, but without guitars, utilising sax, violin, drums and bass. The actor, Jack Thompson, came on and guested on harmonica for their final song, which was a cool little bonus.
The Holy Sea were a perfunctory, melodic pop band; capable, but nothing else beyond that. Beaches were an all female quintet (three guitars plus rhythm section; they play intense pop songs which really took off when all five sung in unison.

Conway Savage, Bad Seeds pianist, played an impressive set of stripped-back, melancholic ballads. He is, also, one hell of a good lyricist as it turned out.

Up on the main stage, Hoss played dirty, fuzzy, swamp rock.

Around on the (medium) Shipbuilders Stage, I saw Japanese duo Afrirampo give the first truly stunning show of the day. Using just drums and guitar they played truly warped fuzz-rock, that had all manner of bizarre arrangements withen each song. The singer / guitarist hollered away brilliantly, while the singer / drummer went totally mental.
Their set finished with them going into the middle of the crowd, setting their drums up there, pounding away and getting everyone to chant along. It was goddamn magic, some of the best original music I've heard in years.

On the main stage, US trio Dead Meadow let rip with some solid, blasting, psych-rock.

Back on the Shipbuilders Stage, Harmonia made the whole trip worthwhile. As a major krautrock fan, I never thought I'd ever, ever see these three men. And they did not let me down. Michael Rother effortlessly hit into his motorik guitar groove, while Roedelius and Moebius laid out their legendary electro-grooves. They were, it mut be said, transcendent.

A reformed Laughing Clowns were just as stunning, their eerie post-punk / jazz really came across strongly and seeing them proved that Ed Kuepper is one of the most under-rated guitarists ever, while Louise Elliot played some very spooky sax lines.

I caught a bit of Robert Forster (great version of 'Quiet Heart'), before going to the small stage to see former Birthday Party guitarist Rowland S Howard. The guy's as skinny as a rake and has a voice flatter than three-day-old lemonade, but it was entirely appropriate to the serated, direct songs. The guy's guitar lines are still utterly unique, as well. As with Harmonia, someone I never thought I'd see and he lived up to his reputation, too. Mick Harvey played drums for him, incidentally.

I caught a slice of The Necks delivering their drony, minimalist jazz, sounded pretty good.

Back on the main stage, The Saints were a pleasant surprise. I'm not overly familiar with their material, but they hit the sweet spot nicely. Chris Bailey's a hell of a front man, while Ed Kuepper again proved to be worth his salt. Great version of 'I'm Stranded' which the crowd went mental at.

Then it was Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds; this was the third time I've seen them over the years and, again, they did not let me down.
Cave was even more OTT than usual, while Warren Ellis's contributions on guitar and violin really flesh out the songs magnificently. Plus, it must be said, Thomas Wydler is one hell of a drummer. They manly played songs from Henry's Dream, Let Love In, Dig Lazarus Dig and selected '80s classics like 'Tupelo' and 'Deanna'

Around on the Turbine stage, Silver Apples poured out their proto-electronica; as with Harmonia, this was weird grooves at their best, plus Simeon's languid voice really suited the songs and general atmosphere.

I didn't get to see Spiritualized or James Ulmer, but hey, that's the breaks.

It'd been a hell of a day / night and I made my way to the ferry, very, very delighted with what I'd seen.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 23 Jan 2009, 08:19

Cockatoo Island

Checking out the Louis Wain exhibition.

Hunter Dienna.

Bridezilla.

Jack Thompson guests.

Hoss.

Conway Savage.

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 23 Jan 2009, 08:36

Conway Savage.

The truly fucking amazing Afrirampo.

"Four years ago, we went to Africa and met some pygmies. This next song is about pygmies".

Ghost and Mrs G during Afrirampo.

Harmonia.

Michael Rother.

...and another krautrock legend.

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 23 Jan 2009, 08:45

Laughing Clowns.

Jeffrey Weggener and Ed Kuepper.

Mentalist and friends watching the Laughing Clowns.

There was stuff like this humungous object...

...and this all over the island, bloody amazing.

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 23 Jan 2009, 09:07

Rowland S Howard.

Rowland S Howard with Mick Harvey on drums.

Bleddyn Butcher at work.

The Saints' Chris Bailey and Ed Kuepper.

Blue Bad Seeds.

Nick Cave and his red left hand.

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 23 Jan 2009, 09:15

As you walked through the Dog-leg tunnel, you heard audio of interviews with Nick and co about their friend and mentor Mick Geyer.

Just like what these people were hearing.

...and when you got through it, you walked into this place. It was massive, a big, old former turbine area.

...where Silver Apples played a stormer.

James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 23 Jan 2009, 09:25

Magilla wrote:A reformed Laughing Clowns were just as stunning

...and, if what I read in the paper today is true, will be playing again in early May. I'd start saving up for that next trip across the Tasman if I were you, mate.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 23 Jan 2009, 09:42

Thanks for the reviews and the awesome pics! I ended up missing the whole festival- Saturdays I ended up househunting in the never never (it seemed) and Sunday I ended up doing an extra shift at work...

I must catch Laughing Clowns when they play in May then!
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Return to “Yakety Yak”