So then, who were the best band of the 90s

Do talk back
Bungo the Mungo

Re: So then, who were the best band of the 90s

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 20 Jan 2009, 20:48

the masked man wrote:
Dr Modernist wrote:
Clarkophile wrote:Why, it's Shack of course.

Yes! Good shout. It's funny how we forget them.

Really? I own HMS Fable, and it's frustratingly inconsistent. 'Captain's Table' is a thing of delicate beauty, but 'Lend's Some Dough' is gangling and charmless. Saw them live, too, and they were somewhat static. I get the feeling they're revered in certain quarters because they sound like a 60s band - same with The La's, really.

Waterpistol is better.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 20 Jan 2009, 20:55

Django wrote:"Dislike"? Really?

There are albums I rate, which may have a track or two that I can take or leave, but with SFA I'm talking about tracks I can't actually sit through.

Purely out of curiosity, could you give some of those songs as an example? If you like their schtick at all, I can't think of too many songs which would scare the horses. Not many of their albums sustain the high quality throughout (I'd argue Radiator doesn't put a foot wrong) but they're usually just a bit average rather than appalling (that is, when they're not great). At least, that's how it comes across to me.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Dogran

Postby Dogran » 20 Jan 2009, 20:58

I am frankly astounded at some of the comments directed at Super Furry Animals.

They were clearly anything but boring, and indeed very much ploughed their own furrow whilst most of the bands around them seemed content to take the easiest route possible. I give you the Phantom Power DVD album release, the gigs performed in surround sound, Gruff Rhys coming on for an unannounced support slot with The Flaming Lips in a Power Ranger costume, the Welsh language album.

Although I will concede that several of their albums are patchy there are always great moments. However, it is live where they really come into their own. I've seen them four times and on each occasion they did something completely different - from the classic Glastonbury performance with giant cacti and furry animal costumes, to the downbeat set at the all seater Royal Festival Hall with Steven Malkmus & The Jicks, to the aforementioned surround sound tour set up. As for those epic twenty minutes+ gig closing performances of 'The Man Don't Give A Fuck'... awesome.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 20 Jan 2009, 21:12

i can't read eleven pages of this. my computer is going too slow for a-scrolling. therefore, i will just list the biggies for moi, whether they've been mentioned (not likely) or not (very likely)...

porcupine tree
gov't mule
NIN
pearl jam
radiohead
the black crowes

good enough for now.

kath
off to shower off her road funk #49

Django

Postby Django » 20 Jan 2009, 21:31

Leg of lamb wrote:
Django wrote:"Dislike"? Really?

There are albums I rate, which may have a track or two that I can take or leave, but with SFA I'm talking about tracks I can't actually sit through.

Purely out of curiosity, could you give some of those songs as an example? If you like their schtick at all, I can't think of too many songs which would scare the horses. Not many of their albums sustain the high quality throughout (I'd argue Radiator doesn't put a foot wrong) but they're usually just a bit average rather than appalling (that is, when they're not great). At least, that's how it comes across to me.

I wish I could be more certain, but there's a track halfway through Rings.... that I can't remember the name of.

Emabarassingly, I've just been listening to samples on Amazon, and I can't find any of the tracks I'm talking about.

Stirling Moss

Postby Stirling Moss » 20 Jan 2009, 21:40

Higgins, Reed and Presley?

Mr Maps
a drunk in a midnight choir

Postby Mr Maps » 20 Jan 2009, 21:43

Sir John Coan wrote:Astonishing.

Baron - try this:

This sounds like a Pavement b-side. A weak one.
nathan wrote:I realize there is a time and a place for unsexy music, but I personally have no time for it.

Django wrote: It's video clips of earnest post-rock I want, and I have little time for anything else.

19th biggest tosser on BCB

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 20 Jan 2009, 21:49

I give up. Really, I do.

Fat Reg

Postby Fat Reg » 20 Jan 2009, 22:12

The Ryan Adam band. And Robbie and the Oasis brothers fron Manclaster.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 21 Jan 2009, 10:13

I think many gave up on SFA at the turn of the millenium - their post-90s output has been much better imo.

take Atomik Lust from Love Kraft:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_oy0okJxjk

or in full Hawkwind humping the Beach Boys mode, Rings Around The World:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhCcBTux5f8

I'd love to post Cloudberries off Love Kraft for some emotional depth and contrast, but it's not on You Tube.

One of the most consistently brilliant - and evolving - bands of the last decade and a bit.

One of the handfull of bands that I actually anticipate their new releases and buy them.

Baby Ate My Eightball of their last LP proves they still have it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKRk7GIspfY
Last edited by Deebank on 21 Jan 2009, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 21 Jan 2009, 10:23

Dogran wrote:I am frankly astounded at some of the comments directed at Super Furry Animals.

[...]it is live where they really come into their own. [...]As for those epic twenty minutes+ gig closing performances of 'The Man Don't Give A Fuck'... awesome.

First time I saw them they did that. One of the most embarrassing moments at any gig I've ever been to. It still makes me cringe no to think about it.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 21 Jan 2009, 10:47

bhoywonder wrote:
Dogran wrote:I am frankly astounded at some of the comments directed at Super Furry Animals.

[...]it is live where they really come into their own. [...]As for those epic twenty minutes+ gig closing performances of 'The Man Don't Give A Fuck'... awesome.

First time I saw them they did that. One of the most embarrassing moments at any gig I've ever been to. It still makes me cringe no to think about it.

Why?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 21 Jan 2009, 11:16

Deebank wrote:
bhoywonder wrote:

Why?

Well, for starters, it's a dreadful 'song'. It's like something a teenager would write thinking they were being dead cool but it's just, well...awkward, at best. But then the way they delivered it live it was so tacky and they seemed to think they were doing something amazing, there was this swaggering arrogance that the music didn't come close to justifying. Just this looping refrain going on and on and on like some second-rate Northside tribute act thinking they'd made a 21st century I am the Walrus. this was at the Brixton Academy and the stage and venue completely dwarfed them. They were completely out of their depth and came on like Kevin and Perry trying to show off to girls. Painful. In the extreme. Much of the crowd could be found at the bar wincing and making jokes about them. I was amazed that they survived it, to behonest.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 21 Jan 2009, 12:39

bhoywonder wrote:
Much of the crowd could be found at the bar wincing and making jokes about them. I was amazed that they survived it, to behonest.

Very telling that you were at the bar while you 'witnessed' this 'debacle' first hand :roll:

You were 'amazed they survived' :lol: no exageration there I'm sure.

I've seen them at larger venues doing the same thing - I've seen the crowd practically riot in Brighton because the management turned the lights on before the Furries had finished their 'The Man...' freakout.

I've seen the whole second stage arena at Glastonbury go totally ape at this point as well. They certainly weren'y out of their depth - and they've headlined any number of festivals since to far larger crowds than you get at the Academy.

The tune in question is always a favorite encore.

Of course, I love them and that tempers my recollections... I would suggest the reverse is true of yerself Bhoy. :)

Django

Postby Django » 21 Jan 2009, 12:46

Deebank wrote:
bhoywonder wrote:
Much of the crowd could be found at the bar wincing and making jokes about them. I was amazed that they survived it, to behonest.

Very telling that you were at the bar while you 'witnessed' this 'debacle' first hand :roll:

You were 'amazed they survived' :lol: no exageration there I'm sure.

I've seen them at larger venues doing the same thing - I've seen the crowd practically riot in Brighton because the management turned the lights on before the Furries had finished their 'The Man...' freakout.

I've seen the whole second stage arena at Glastonbury go totally ape at this point as well. They certainly weren'y out of their depth - and they've headlined any number of festivals since to far larger crowds than you get at the Academy.

The tune in question is always a favorite encore.

Of course, I love them and that tempers my recollections... I would suggest the reverse is true of yerself Bhoy. :)

For all that I'm not really a SFA fan, I think you'd have to be made of stone to resist "The Man....". One of their finest moments.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 21 Jan 2009, 13:25

Deebank wrote:
bhoywonder wrote:

If you've ever been to the Academy, you'll know that the bars are in the main arena. So from where I was watching the show, I could also see folk at the bar. You see? Indeed, after about 10 minutes of it, I joined them.

Deebank wrote:You were 'amazed they survived' :lol: no exageration there I'm sure.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Yes, I was amazed to ever hear from them again.

Deebank wrote:I've seen them at larger venues doing the same thing - I've seen the crowd practically riot in Brighton because the management turned the lights on before the Furries had finished their 'The Man...' freakout.

Yes, I've seen them at larger festivals. They were boring and out of their depth.

Deebank wrote:Of course, I love them and that tempers my recollections... I would suggest the reverse is true of yerself Bhoy. :)

Actually, the first time i saw them was the first time I'd ever heard them, so my recollections were that of a neutral. The last time I saw them I really wanted to like them because I keep hearing people say how great they are live and I thought perhaps I'd just been unlucky to catch them on a bad night before. It happens. In theory, like Django, I should love them. All the things people say about them make them sound great – I even like some of their side projects. I just don't rate them. You do. Such is life.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 21 Jan 2009, 13:31

bhoywonder wrote:
Deebank wrote:
bhoywonder wrote:

If you've ever been to the Academy, you'll know that the bars are in the main arena. So from where I was watching the show, I could also see folk at the bar. You see? Indeed, after about 10 minutes of it, I joined them.

Deebank wrote:You were 'amazed they survived' :lol: no exageration there I'm sure.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Yes, I was amazed to ever hear from them again.

I thought you meant survived with their lives.... I mean, Brixton can be dodgy, but that's a bit extreme.

You don't like them, fair enough.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 21 Jan 2009, 13:34

It's a fucking shit song, tho', truth be told. It's not even typical of their stuff, and it's lazy and boring to listen to.

If you want something similar, go for the much superior 'Slow Life'. But they were always much better when they mixed the melodies in with the big beat stuff.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 21 Jan 2009, 14:23

Lord John of Angshu wrote:It's a fucking shit song, tho', truth be told. It's not even typical of their stuff, and it's lazy and boring to listen to.

If you want something similar, go for the much superior 'Slow Life'. But they were always much better when they mixed the melodies in with the big beat stuff.

Funnily enough, I'm not a fan of the song either :lol:
(I have to flip past it these days because of the language - if the kids are around anyway)

My one problem with SFA is that they don't seem to know how to finish a song and all too often they let Cian do his techno thing until he runs out of steam - sometimes it works.

But that said, it is a good live show closer - and despite what Bhoy says it's popular with the crowd.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 21 Jan 2009, 14:55

Deebank wrote:But that said, it is a good live show closer - and despite what Bhoy says it's popular with the crowd.

;)

Return to “Yakety Yak”