biggest twat ever involved in music

Do talk back
Johnny Fartpants

Re: biggest twat ever involved in music

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 16 Jan 2009, 18:51

toomanyhatz wrote:What exactly is the problem?

The hairstyle. And the fact that he was in Queen.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 16 Jan 2009, 18:52

toomanyhatz wrote:Yeah, the nerve of Brian May being a scientist as well as a guitarist!! He owes it to the rock and roll brotherhood to be more rock and roll! :evil:

The idea of Brian May as twat has come up here before and I must confess I don't get it and never have. Is it just because he presents an image to the world as having an intellect? 'Cause I can't find a single case reported by anyone of him ever having mistreated anyone or been rude. And that includes people I know who've met him. What exactly is the problem?

He's a dick.

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 16 Jan 2009, 18:54

Sir John Coan wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Yeah, the nerve of Brian May being a scientist as well as a guitarist!! He owes it to the rock and roll brotherhood to be more rock and roll! :evil:

The idea of Brian May as twat has come up here before and I must confess I don't get it and never have. Is it just because he presents an image to the world as having an intellect? 'Cause I can't find a single case reported by anyone of him ever having mistreated anyone or been rude. And that includes people I know who've met him. What exactly is the problem?

He's a dick.

There is that as well.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 Jan 2009, 18:56

Sir John Coan wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:I can't find a single case reported by anyone of him ever having mistreated anyone or been rude. And that includes people I know who've met him.

He's a dick.

OK, you guys don't like Queen. I get it. So should we take the word "biggest" out of the thread title if we're opening it up to people whose only twatty crime is that you don't like their face?

Believe me, I want to smack the shit out of Billy Idol every time he does that ridiculous sneer. But I haven't added him here because he hasn't kicked my cat- or anyone's, as far as I know. To be a twat seems to require actually treating someone twattishly. Or am I missing the point?
Last edited by toomanyhatz on 16 Jan 2009, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

charliebigpotatoes

Postby charliebigpotatoes » 16 Jan 2009, 19:08

Goat Boy wrote:Alan McGee on Oasis 7th album Dig Out Your Soul....lest we forget.....

Turning 48 yesterday, I realised the only Creation band that I still get excited about is Oasis. And who wouldn't? The band contains two world-class songwriters, and two great ones, and their new release Dig Out Your Soul is truly tremendous. It's as if they have re-imagined their discography and made their true follow-up to What's the Story Morning Glory, completing the elusive and perfect rock'n'roll trilogy that began with Definitely Maybe.

The music world needs Oasis at this moment, a band with more personality and more amusing quips than any British band for at least 10 years. Throughout their history Oasis have captured the pop zeitgeist (and my personal zeitgeist) as a band that combine the best elements of the Beatles and Sex Pistols to emerge as this generation's Rolling Stones.

"Better than Morning Glory", has become many a critic's meme when reviewing post-Morning Glory Oasis albums, thrown into reviews in a random fashion as a desperate bid to return the band to the halcyon days of old. You know what? Dig Out Your Soul is the best Oasis album since What's the Story Morning Glory. Easy.

The signs were good when I met up with the Gallagher brothers last year in Los Angeles. We discussed music and, curiously, Noel told me how much he liked Glasvegas. I was surprised that he had heard of them at that point. The evening fell into typical Oasis debauchery: hanging out with Brody Dalle and Biffy Clyro and ending up in a dub club in east LA with Oasis participating in a stage invasion. The surreal nature of being Noel Gallagher must be bizarre. Noel, at his best, writes songs about pure escapism, northern ambition and transcending class culture, all in rock'n'roll Technicolor. The question is: "What do you do when you've achieved all your dreams?" You return to your youth and get back to who you were.

Dig Out Your Soul works because Noel has returned to the original inspiration of his youth for his songwriting. Definitely Maybe was about their dreams of rock'n'roll stardom, Morning Glory was about achieving the dream, Be Here Now was the coked-up aftermath, now Dig Out Your Soul is a glance to a psychedelic yesterday, again. For me, the past four post-Morning Glory albums never captured the magic of the first two. Songs from the past five albums had moments of pop reverberations and incredible songwriting, but were never complete statements. With Dig Out Your Soul, the notorious Oasis brothers have found their mojo. It's back, without a doubt.

Musically, it's a return to the grander ambitions and excess of before, with Noel stating: "But I kind of like fancy! I'd like to make an absolutely fucking colossal album. You know? Like literally two orchestras, stuff like that." Dig Out Your Soul is Oasis at their most baroque and Noel's pure pop ambition sits easily with his experimental side. The album oozes with confidence, and great songs.

Maybe it is their the lucky seventh album? The Beatles and the Stones released Revolver and Beggar's Banquet respectively, both were album number seven, and Dig Out Your Soul is on a par of with both in terms of classic songwriting. Or maybe it was his musical peer Paul Weller who inspired Noel to turn his back on Britpop and take a more eclectic direction after Weller's own opus of 22 Dreams? Noel Gallagher has said that Shock of the Lightning was the only song that had "Oasis single status" as the rest is far removed from the sound of Oasis.

I love the decision not to make the album freely available to download, as the Charlatans and Radiohead have. Noel's decision to release the sheet music and lyrics is very Noel; not encouraging free music, but encouraging kids to pick up guitars, learn songs and YouTube them. Or forming a personal army of New York City buskers to perform Dig Out Your Soul - and why not?

These songs are fantastic. From the opening Bag It Up, with the "freaks coming out through the floor", capturing the sound of drug psychosis; the Buffalo Springfield raga glam-stomp of Get Off Your High Horse Lady; the street-fighting vibe of Waiting for the Rapture, the Left Bank psychedelic baroqueness of To Be Where There's Life; the Dear Prudence lift on The Turning - Dig Out Your Soul is the sound of one of Britain's greatest bands at play.

Liam's soulful vocals are utter gems, no longer the one-take hooligan of before, he plays it like a psychedelic Elvis, underpinning the tracks with a commanding presence. Noel's vocal turn on Falling Down is one of the best tracks he has ever sang on. It is subtle, haunting, and full of pure Noel Gallagher magic.

I understand that openly admitting to liking Oasis is inviting confrontation, but you know what? Being an Oasis fan is never having to say I'm sorry. And I'm not. Leave saying sorry to the Coldplay imitators as their era of bedwetter music is over. It's only Glasvegas and Oasis for competition in this country. If you are in a band and are not artistically competing with the creative rock'n'roll genius of Oasis or Glasvegas, it's time to just stop and get off the treadmill. This is how rock'n'roll should be done in the United Kingdom today.

TWAT.

You know,reading through that, he may be over-qualified to be classed a twat. We may have to skip a category and put him straight in as a cunt. I mean for fuck's sake this is Oasis he is talking about and look at the people he compares them to! Sure Alan, Dig Out Your Soul = Revolver and Beggars Banquet. Why not throw in fucking Pet Sounds and Physical Grafitti while you are at it you fucking nob?
I mean the man thinks saying something is 'totally Punk Rock' is acceptable.
Here is Alan on the Credit Crunch: 'I went shopping today and instead of Sainsburys i went to Aldi. It was totally Punk Rock in there. Everything was like, cheaper. It reminded me of Jesus and The Mary Chain...'
SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!
(actually i made that last one up but its the kind of thing the jizz-bag would say)
Third,
Third and bird,
Just across the street, where the birdies meet,
Going 'deet, deet, deet'
Third, third, third, third and bird.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 16 Jan 2009, 19:11

I dig Queen, but...seriously, hatz!

Just look at the fucking putz.

charliebigpotatoes

Postby charliebigpotatoes » 16 Jan 2009, 19:16

Sir John San Juan wrote:Image

Its weird, but there are subtle levels of dislike for people. Brian May i see as more of a cock then a twat. Is that better or worse? I dont know, but its definitely different. I cant explain how.
Third,
Third and bird,
Going 'deet, deet, deet'

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 Jan 2009, 19:16

Yeah, yeah...smarmy expression. Thinks a lot of himself, etc. etc.

But you come on...comparable to getting a tough to break your legs? Hanging someone out of a window upside down? Being a Gallagher Brother? Are we really lowering standards that much?
Footy wrote:
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 16 Jan 2009, 19:17

Alan McGee wrote:If you are in a band and are not artistically competing with the creative rock'n'roll genius of Oasis or Glasvegas, it's time to just stop and get off the treadmill. This is how rock'n'roll should be done in the United Kingdom today.

Where do I start?

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 16 Jan 2009, 19:18

toomanyhatz wrote:Or am I missing the point?

Possibly.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 Jan 2009, 19:21

Sir John San Juan wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Or am I missing the point?

Possibly.

I don't think so, though. I think we took a sharp left turn.
Footy wrote:

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 16 Jan 2009, 19:25

It all depends on your priorities. If your manager had to have someone's knees broken so that you could get paid, you might not think that was such a bad thing. Or there's Brian May.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 16 Jan 2009, 19:26

Are we talking twits or twats here?
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Jan 2009, 19:28

He doesn't look that different from Jimmy Page.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 Jan 2009, 19:29

king feeb wrote:Are we talking twits or twats here?

Either way, I think Dave Stewart's got anyone in Queen beat. :lol:
Footy wrote:

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 16 Jan 2009, 19:30

What's the problem? Bri's rocking out, dude! On the fucking roof of Buckingham fucking Palace!

How fucking cool is that?
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 16 Jan 2009, 19:32

Billybob Dylan wrote:

What's the problem? Bri's rocking out, dude! On the fucking roof of Buckingham fucking Palace!

It could only be cooler if his jacket had his name written all over it.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 16 Jan 2009, 19:55

Billybob Dylan wrote:

Also, didn't he build that guitar from scratch?

Brian May went out and cut down a tree with his bare hands, fashioned it into a guitar body, and put pickups in it. He not only hand-wound the pickup wiring, he went out and mined the metal used to make it and smelted it in his own home smelter. Brian also invented plastic to be used for the pick guard in his private chemical laboratory.

He also took a hundred years to make a crappy solo record, so he's a twit, but not a twat.
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

charliebigpotatoes

Postby charliebigpotatoes » 16 Jan 2009, 20:05

Lance Matthew wrote:Image

He doesn't look that different from Jimmy Page.

He looks more like Beck or Clapton to me...
Third,
Third and bird,
Going 'deet, deet, deet'

Stirling Moss

Postby Stirling Moss » 16 Jan 2009, 20:10

Return to “Yakety Yak”