Bryter Layter
43%
Pink Moon
25%

Total votes: 51

Insouciant Western People

Re: best Nick Drake album

Postby Insouciant Western People » 02 Jan 2009, 11:12

They're all great, but Five Leaves Left is perfect.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Molony

Postby Molony » 02 Jan 2009, 11:34

'Pink Moon' for me. It was my first Nick Drake album and I remember being taken by its stark, intimate production. It's something of an unsettling album as well.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 02 Jan 2009, 11:50

Molony wrote:'Pink Moon' for me. It was my first Nick Drake album and I remember being taken by its stark, intimate production. It's something of an unsettling album as well.

Do you find it more unsettling because of the context?
I mean, because we all know it was his last album, and because he killed himself.
Bless the weather.......Image

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 02 Jan 2009, 11:50

Pink Moon for me with Bryter Later a close second. My two fave Drake tracks are on Pink Moon ,the title track and Road. Pink Moon has a reputation as a downer album but its direct rather than monotone.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Molony

Postby Molony » 02 Jan 2009, 11:59

andymacandy wrote:
Molony wrote:'Pink Moon' for me. It was my first Nick Drake album and I remember being taken by its stark, intimate production. It's something of an unsettling album as well.

I mean, because we all know it was his last album, and because he killed himself.

Well, you know, I don't think it is that. I can remember finding 'Pink Moon' unsettling because it was (so I was told) about nuclear war. Also, there is something twisted about the lyrics to some of those tunes. I can remember finding the lyrics to 'Parasite' quite striking. All that lifting of clown masks business and the sense of 'otherness' in the sentiment. This wasn't someone playing at self-loathing like so many plastic-emotion artists do these days.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 02 Jan 2009, 12:12

Mr. Bob Sharko wrote:I'm taking the plunge.

It's good shit, JC.

Bryter Layter is most certainly the masterpiece in my opinion.

I think it glides along far more assuredly than the others (5LL will always sound a bit clumsy to me, "Time Has Told Me" and "River Man" aside).

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 02 Jan 2009, 12:14

Molony wrote:
andymacandy wrote:

Well, you know, I don't think it is that. I can remember finding 'Pink Moon' unsettling because it was (so I was told) about nuclear war. Also, there is something twisted about the lyrics to some of those tunes. I can remember finding the lyrics to 'Parasite' quite striking. All that lifting of clown masks business and the sense of 'otherness' in the sentiment. This wasn't someone playing at self-loathing like so many plastic-emotion artists do these days.

No, you know he wasn't playing at anything.
Its just that I find "Black Eyed Dog" and tracks like that grimly prescient given his suicide.I can't help but hear those tracks in the context of his death.
And of course, your comment about nuclear war is accurate too, its just that that context isn't really in our minds these days.
Bless the weather.......Image

C
Robust

Postby C » 02 Jan 2009, 12:17

Five Leaves

You had to be there at the time....

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Molony

Postby Molony » 02 Jan 2009, 12:20

andymacandy wrote:No, you know he wasn't playing at anything.
Its just that I find "Black Eyed Dog" and tracks like that grimly prescient given his suicide.I can't help but hear those tracks in the context of his death.
And of course, your comment about nuclear war is accurate too, its just that that context isn't really in our minds these days.

I think that that's something I might have picked up on a great deal more later when I was more aware of the back story (I seem to remember a rather excellent Mojo article years ago). At the start of the 90s when I first picked up 'Pink Moon' I had no real knowledge of his personal demons or even the fact that he had died of an overdose.

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 02 Jan 2009, 12:25

Molony wrote:he killed himself.

andymacandy wrote:his suicide.

Even if officially it was suicide nobody will ever know 100% sure ...
:?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 02 Jan 2009, 14:43

Jeff K wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:I'm taking the plunge.

Why now?

Why not?

I used to find Drake dull, myself. I came back to it years later and it was as though a veil had lifted; it just clicked and suddenly made sense.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 02 Jan 2009, 16:34

Snarfyguy wrote:I used to find Drake dull, myself. I came back to it years later and it was as though a veil had lifted; it just clicked and suddenly made sense.

I had a similar experience, though it didn't take long. A short-term apartment-mate bought that Heaven In A Wild Flower comp LP back in '87, and was quite taken with it; it didn't do anything for me. Maybe a year later, I heard the original albums, and fell in love with them immediately. Perhaps Drake just doesn't "comp" well - that Way To Blue cd doesn't work for me, either.

sensi

Postby sensi » 02 Jan 2009, 16:44

C wrote:Five Leaves

You had to be there at the time....

I couldn't I was only three :?

Five Leaves Left for me...I was late getting into Nick Drake but when I did my reaction took me by surprise...I never tire of Five Leaves Left.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 02 Jan 2009, 16:55

Nick wrote: Five Leaves Left is perfect.

Bryter Later is perfect (in every respect apart from its Godawful cover).

Five Leaves Left has Man In A Shed on it - and that fucking awful electric guitar on Time Has Told Me. It may be the single most cliched bit of tossed off tat Richard Thomspon ever played.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 02 Jan 2009, 18:10

Buy the fucking lot Coan, you cheapskate!

And this one.......

......the one with Black-eyed Dog on it (and the rest of the four last songs)

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 02 Jan 2009, 18:20

Charlie O. wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:I used to find Drake dull, myself. I came back to it years later and it was as though a veil had lifted; it just clicked and suddenly made sense.

I had a similar experience, though it didn't take long. A short-term apartment-mate bought that Heaven In A Wild Flower comp LP back in '87, and was quite taken with it; it didn't do anything for me. Maybe a year later, I heard the original albums, and fell in love with them immediately. Perhaps Drake just doesn't "comp" well - that Way To Blue cd doesn't work for me, either.

There's really no reason to anthologize an artist who only put out three albums.

What is the Slider's objection to Man in a Shed, I wonder. It seems pretty much of a piece with the rest of the album.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 02 Jan 2009, 18:49

Everywhere It's Loveless wrote:

It's good shit, JC.

I think it glides along far more assuredly than the others (5LL will always sound a bit clumsy to me, "Time Has Told Me" and "River Man" aside).

And "Three Hours?" and "Cello Song?"

"Assured" isn't always a strength, you know. Sometimes things can be neurotically beautiful.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 02 Jan 2009, 18:51

toomanyhatz wrote:

It's good shit, JC.

"Assured" isn't always a strength, you know. Sometimes things can be neurotically beautiful.

Thank you for also illustrating just how much 5LL flatlines by comparison to BL.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 02 Jan 2009, 18:54

toomanyhatz wrote:
It's good shit, JC.

Thank you for also illustrating just how much 5LL flatlines by comparison to BL.

You get sillier all the time, John. You can have your 6-minutes plus of the "assured" "Poor Boy." I'll take Drake warts 'n all.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 02 Jan 2009, 18:59

toomanyhatz wrote:You can have your 6-minutes plus of the "assured" "Poor Boy." I'll take Drake warts 'n all.

I'm sorry if you can't dig on that track.

Too warty?

Return to “Yakety Yak”