rock documentaries

Do talk back
Quaco
F R double E

Re: rock documentaries

Postby Quaco » 13 Apr 2008, 17:25

Not a documentary on Baker, but a self-narrated travelogue of his sojourn through the Sahara in the early '70s. I am not the hugest fan of Baker as a member of various rock acts, but this adventure was fascinating. The film covers a couple thousand miles (from Algeria to Nigeria) in only an hour of film time, so there is a sense of urgency, of trying to get across the desert. Of course, he has troubles. No one crosses the Sahara unscathed. The people he meets and jams with are amazing. There is an insane scene with Fela Kuti's band playing the most incredible, electric, energetic music in a night club that has an inch of water covering the floor. It's unreal. It's fantastic watching the scenery change from severe desert to greener and greener areas as he approaches Nigeria.

Tony Palmer (All My Loving, 200 Motels, er All This and World War II) was the filmmaker and accompanied Baker on the trek.

Here is the Fela Kuta scene:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Apr 2008, 17:47

I agree with a number of these recommendations, and am glad to get Quaco's take on the Ginger Baker one, as I was curious about it but an Amazon review put me off.

The Captain Beefheart Under Review is very interesting, or was to me, at least.

And I cannot recommend this one enough:

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 13 Apr 2008, 20:32

Kenji wrote:I also saw Tom Dowd one in the theater and I want to see it again...

How about "Soul To Soul":

That Soul 2 soul thing is amazing!

B

Postby B » 13 Apr 2008, 20:45

Charlie O. wrote:Image

Didn't know about that one. I'll have to check it out.

I also want to see the Holy Modal Rounders one. A few months back it was screening in the city but it was only for a week and I didn't make it. Wonder if a DVD has come out yet.

James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 14 Apr 2008, 07:07

the masked man wrote:Given that two dramatic features have already told this story in the past few years, a feeling of deja vu might be setting in.

You'd think that, but no, seeing the story in fictional form is not the same as hearing it told by the actual participants. And as far as I know, neither of the fictional renditions of the story contains the scene where Bernard Sumner hypnotises Ian Curtis, which is one of the weirdest and eeriest things I've ever seen in any music documentary. I'm not sure you absolutely need to see this at the cinema per se, but you need to see it. I'll be getting the DVD as soon as it becomes available.
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 14 Apr 2008, 07:18

Brian wrote:I also want to see the Holy Modal Rounders one. A few months back it was screening in the city but it was only for a week and I didn't make it. Wonder if a DVD has come out yet.

It has! See http://www.myspace.com/holymodalroundersmovie for details. (I need to get a "proper" one myself - I have a DVD-R of it, it's great!)

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 14 Apr 2008, 07:29

Charlie O. wrote:
Brian wrote:I also want to see the Holy Modal Rounders one. A few months back it was screening in the city but it was only for a week and I didn't make it. Wonder if a DVD has come out yet.

It has! See http://www.myspace.com/holymodalroundersmovie for details. (I need to get a "proper" one myself - I have a DVD-R of it, it's great!)

"The Moray Eels Eat The Holy Modal Rounders" was one of the first albums I bought because of recommendation at MOJO4MUSIC (or maybe here) - I can't remember last time I listened but I'll try again soon ;)

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 14 Apr 2008, 08:58

James R wrote:And as far as I know, neither of the fictional renditions of the story contains the scene where Bernard Sumner hypnotises Ian Curtis,

Control did.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 14 Apr 2008, 10:40

Kenji wrote:"The Moray Eels Eat The Holy Modal Rounders" was one of the first albums I bought because of recommendation at MOJO4MUSIC (or maybe here) - I can't remember last time I listened but I'll try again soon ;)

Kenji, in an interview back in the late '80s Peter Stampfel of The Rounders was asked about this album and the similar one that preceded it, Indian War Whoop (1967, ESP-Disk'); he said something like:

"I made myself listen to those records recently, and ultimately decided that they were both masterpieces and that I never wanted to hear either of them ever again!"

They're both just that kind of record.

Actually, Moray Eels has grown on me over the years - there are some great songs there, it's mostly the performances and/or the production that get in the way (similarly, Indian War Whoop could benefit tremendously from a simple remix); even so, these aren't records that I would recommend that anyone buy before listening to them first.

(Sorry for the thread hijack, folks!)

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 04 Dec 2008, 18:05

Any Xmas recommendations?

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 04 Dec 2008, 19:06

Love Story (about Love The Band) is finally out on DVD.

The MC5 - A True Testimonial is officially unreleased but can be got if you're looking hard

Best film I've ever seen about the Pistols is their episode of Classic Albums: Never Mind The Bollocks which has an hour of extra footage in the DVD. It's rare that people talk to them about music in addition to everything else. This has it all.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 04 Dec 2008, 19:59

This is great. Best one i've seen in a long time. 4 hour 2dvd documentary, 1 dvd live 30th anniversary concert and a cd of rarities too. All for 17.50 with free delivery on amazon.co.uk.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 04 Dec 2008, 20:25

Pool Hall Richard wrote:This is great. Best one i've seen in a long time. 4 hour 2dvd documentary, 1 dvd live 30th anniversary concert and a cd of rarities too. All for 17.50 with free delivery on amazon.co.uk.

It is very good, although I doubt it would appeal to non-fans of Petty. I'm always amazed at how so many bands seemingly had the foresight to have cameras rolling around them so often during the early stages of their careers.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Arthur Crud

Postby Arthur Crud » 04 Dec 2008, 20:28

I'm really looking forward to this baby plopping through the mailbox (hopefully) this weekend.

ImageImage

Tracklist looks a bit thin for a double but it's guaranteed hard-ons all round in the secret room I'll bet...

quartzcity

Postby quartzcity » 04 Dec 2008, 20:31

The DVD won't be out until Feb 2009, but it's still making the film festival rounds. It's utterly brilliant.

quartzcity

Postby quartzcity » 04 Dec 2008, 20:35

I'm not a tremendous Jandek fan, but this documentary about him is also worth seeking out.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 05 Dec 2008, 14:55

Charlie O well, Noël wrote:
And I cannot recommend this one enough:

Yep - pick this one up. It's great - I haven't had as much fun watching a rockumentary (!) as I did watching this one.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 05 Dec 2008, 20:21

Harvey X-Mas wrote:
Pool Hall Richard wrote:This is great. Best one i've seen in a long time. 4 hour 2dvd documentary, 1 dvd live 30th anniversary concert and a cd of rarities too. All for 17.50 with free delivery on amazon.co.uk.

It is very good, although I doubt it would appeal to non-fans of Petty.

Possibly, altho I wasnt a huge fan before buying it, just casual and have buying up the back catalogue since watching it.

B

Postby B » 02 Jan 2009, 20:09

Charlie O. wrote:And I cannot recommend this one enough:

I watched this one last night. Really enjoyed it!

The interviews with the two singers reminded me a lot of the Half Japanese documentary. Very entertaining

Return to “Yakety Yak”