The Jazz Workshop

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Kenji
Otaku

Re: The new RVG's from Bluenote and Prestige

Postby Kenji » 26 Jan 2008, 16:16

Six String wrote:The more I listen to the later Lee Morgan albums the more I prefer them over his early stuff. If you don't have the Live at the Lighthouse set, you should pick it up.
Kenji bought it recently as a two or three disc set, so it's expanded quite a bit from the original 2 lp set. The original features one song per side, but it's not a bunch of noodling. It's serious soloing all around. The band played at the club for about a week, so they had a lot of extra music to choose from. That band was really going somewhere. It's a shame he died so soon afterwards.

I didn't buy it yet! :lol:

It's a 3 CDs set from 1996 - I'm looking for a cheap used one but I can't find it...

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 27 Jan 2008, 16:41

Can anyone recommend some Hank Mobley?
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 27 Jan 2008, 16:57

goldwax wrote:
Balboa wrote:Can anyone recommend some Hank Mobley?

Soul Station, Roll Call, and Workout.

"Dippin'"

automatic_drip

Postby automatic_drip » 27 Jan 2008, 21:29

Yes... Dippin' is terrific.

I also really like High Voltage and The Turnaround.

He's like Art Blakey, though. I've never heard one I didn't like.
Only time will tell if we stand the test of time.... - Sammy Hagar

Six String

Postby Six String » 27 Jan 2008, 21:51

Another Workout (different album than Workout and arguably better)
No Room For Squares
A Caddy for Daddy

If, after you've acquired these and the other recomendations on the previous posts, you find yourself still hungering for more Mobley, get the Mosaic Mobley box.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 27 Jan 2008, 21:58

Thanks all, I think I will pick up Soul Station.

Six String

Postby Six String » 02 Feb 2008, 01:22

Bump!

I bought some stuff today that I'll post about once I've heard a few.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 02 Feb 2008, 02:42

I listened to the Thelonius Monk Orchestra at Town Hall today, recomended by our illustrious and conspicuously absent T Berry Shuffle a while back. Well of course he was right. The sound is fantastic and the music is just as good. For some reason I never got around to buying this one before. It probably has to do with the fact that big band isn't my favorite mode of transportation in jazzland. I did buy the other Monk Big Band album on Columbia years ago and thought I didn't need another one. Well, I was wrong. The two albums sound different to me (surprise, surprise) in that the Town Hall performance seems a little more relaxed. I almost said loose, but I don't want to imply less than stellar playing, because that isn't the case. The one track that really stood out for me was Little Rootie Tootie and we get an alternate cut too to make sure you're paying attention. I've only listened to the cd once, so I can't give you any detailed notes yet, but it's a winner if you're a Monk fan.

Second up is Duke Pearson's The Right Touch on Bluenote. This is an octet date which is a little unusual for BN and it's a cooker in the tradition of BN. The really big names on the album are Freddie Hubbard and Stanley Turrentine. They do their job well as expected. Both were still on top of their game at the time. James Spaulding and Garrett Brown are also here on alto sax and trombone respectively. They had previously played with Freddie Hubbard and Andrew Hill so they know their way around charts. I'm starting to learn and appreciate what Duke Pearson brought to the table. Although his playing isn't virtuosic, his composing and arranging is damn near that. He really knows how to put an album of good music together. It's no surprise that at the time of this album he was the BN house arranger. They knew talent when they saw it. Oh yeah, the album....Some upbeat, some ballads, a latin tune here, a funky one there... It's all good. I have yet to be disappointed by the man. There's a Mosaic Select (3cds) of his material but I don't remember at this time what it included. I might have to pick it up. Another album called Prairie Dog is on a jazz blog for download. I've never seen that one in any other form and it's good too.

I also picked up Donald Byrd's Cat Walk and Grant Green's Am I Blue, but I haven't heard them yet.

Later.........
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 02 Feb 2008, 05:09

Six String wrote:Duke Pearson's The Right Touch on Bluenote.

It's on my list and I always find it but I buy something different instead... :(

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 02 Feb 2008, 08:41

Bought these 3 last night - waiting for them to arrive.

I have been listening to Kenny Drew's Undercurrent all week. Love it - both Freddie Hubbard and Hank Mobley shine through. In fact Mobley plays amazing - I have undervalued him for too long. I intend to put that right!

automatic_drip

Postby automatic_drip » 02 Feb 2008, 14:06

That Pete La Roca record is pretty special. Can wait to hear your thoughts.

I borrowed this one from the library, and liked it so much I bought it the next week. It's my first Clifford Brown, and I'm looking for more. Suggestions and direction needed.....

The interplay is just awesome.

automatic_drip

Postby automatic_drip » 02 Feb 2008, 14:17

This one is available (cheap) at yourmusic.com. Not an RVG - it's on Verve, but it feature Sonny Rollins.... thoughts?

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 02 Feb 2008, 14:20

Balboa wrote:Bought these 3 last night - waiting for them to arrive.

I almost bought this one today too!

automatic_drip

Postby automatic_drip » 02 Feb 2008, 14:21

Done!

I love the internet.

Six String

Postby Six String » 02 Feb 2008, 17:08

Balboa wrote:Image

AT's Delight is fantastic. I acquired this several years ago on vinyl from a friend (for $1.00!) and was blown away. When it got reissued recently on cd I thought I should buy it as a back up, but then I could make a cdr of the lp, so I haven't done it yet. I may still buy it. It's that good.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 02 Feb 2008, 17:16

Another note on the Monk at Town Hall. I realised after listening to it a second time last night and following it with the Columia Big Band album that there are many places on Town Hall where musicians drop out, sometimes down to a trio that makes the album less of a big band album than the other one. There are some quartet numbers on the Columbia album, but the rest of it is big. It's not that I prefer one over the other, but they are very different sounding. I think the big band arrangements are better on the Columbia discs, but I still love the sound and feel of the Town Hall album. Little Rootie Tootie is practically worth the price of admission.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 02 Feb 2008, 18:10

Six String wrote:

AT's Delight is fantastic. I acquired this several years ago on vinyl from a friend (for $1.00!) and was blown away. When it got reissued recently on cd I thought I should buy it as a back up, but then I could make a cdr of the lp, so I haven't done it yet. I may still buy it. It's that good.

I think you mentioned it somewhere on another thread and I made a note to pick it up. Looking forward to hearing it.

Six String

Postby Six String » 02 Feb 2008, 22:44

Unlike rock music, jazz is full of great albums by drummers. Elvin Jones, Roy Haynes, Art Taylor, Art Blakey, etc.....
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 08 Feb 2008, 23:41

Six String wrote:

It's here - and guess what................it's great. Starts off with a version of Coltrane's 'Syeedas Song Flute' and then kicks into a version of Monk's 'Epistrophy' without ever letting up. This is going to get plenty more listens. Thanks for the heads up Six String!

Spec

Postby Spec » 09 Feb 2008, 11:02

Balboa wrote:
Six String wrote:

It's here - and guess what................it's great. Starts off with a version of Coltrane's 'Syeedas Song Flute' and then kicks into a version of Monk's 'Epistrophy' without ever letting up. This is going to get plenty more listens. Thanks for the heads up Six String!

I've just been through this thread and ordered half a dozen albums including this one. Won't arrive here for another 2 -3 weeks but I'm looking forward to it.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”