The Jazz Workshop

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Six String

Re: The new RVG's from Bluenote and Prestige

Postby Six String » 20 Sep 2007, 22:03

I recently picked up two more of these cds coming out.

Serenade to a Bus Seat - Clark Terry Quintet
This one's got Johnny Griffin, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, and Philly Joe Jones on it. I'm not a big fan of the way Clark does those half bent notes on the trumpet. Sometimes it sounds like he's playing underwater. He is an extremely talented player though, so that's just my little thing. However, Griffin and Kelly have some really great solos on this album and the band in general really cooks. The sound is very good.

The Magnificent Thad Jones - This is the one I was really waiting for when I heard of it's pending release. I bought another Bluenote album of his called Detroit - New York Junction that was over the top fantastic. This album did not disappoint, even with all of my anticipation. I listened to it while cooking dinner and when it ended while we were eating, I just pushed play again. It's that good. It has Billy Mitchell, Barry Harris, Percy Heath, and Max Roach on it.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 29 Sep 2007, 10:47

So I have been away for a couple of weeks, but a few things have been getting a spin

Cool Struttin' - Sonny Clark

Which as well as having one of the best album covers ever (I keep meaning to get it framed from the BN covers book) is one cool sounding record.

Art Farmer - Trumpet
Jackie Mclean - Alto sax
Sonny Clark - piano
Paul Chambers - bass
Philly Joe Jones - drums

So a pretty stellar line up. The song 'Cool Struttin'' is almost stereotypical of what people expect BN albums to sound like - I love it. Includes 2 Clark originals, a cover of Miles Davis's 'Sippin' at Bells', and a version of 'Deep Night'. The band are great - I don't think they ever got together again, although I could be wrong.

I don't have any other Sonny Clark albums, any advice?

Also getting a few spins is

Destination Out - Jackie McLean

Graham Moncur III - trombone
Jackie Mclean - Alto Sax
Bobby Hutcherson - vibes
Larry Ridley - bass
Roy Haynes - drums

A fair bit has been written on here abou this recently, and I bought it on the back of advice from SS and T-Berry. It is great. I am still absorbing it, but it seems to straddle the more complex Blue Note albums and the more 'trad' stuff. A good mixture of the two. 'Love and Hate' is a monster of a track, as is 'Esoteric'.

Lastly, this turned up as well.

From a recommendation by Kenji.

Bobby Hutcherson - vibes
Harold Land - Tenor sax, flute and oboe
Joe Sample - piano
John Williams - Bass
Mickey Roker - Drums

Only listened to it a couple of times this morning, but I like it a lot. Great groove laden tracks - the bass sounds great on this - and I am impressed with Land's contributions. This will be getting more spins this week for sure.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 20 Oct 2007, 17:07

BUMP.

Nothing from me right now, but this should keep going.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Oct 2007, 17:26

Balboa wrote:Image

:lol: The reissue doesn't actually say "Original Blue Note LP Cover" on it, does it?
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 20 Oct 2007, 17:31

Snarfyguy wrote:
Balboa wrote:Image

:lol: The reissue doesn't actually say "Original Blue Note LP Cover" on it, does it?

And I hope you have a T-shirt too Balboa! ;)

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 20 Oct 2007, 17:44

No T-Shirt just yet...............

I have really wanted to listen to Lee Morgan's 'The Sidewinder' this week and haven't been able to locate it!! :evil:

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Oct 2007, 17:53

Balboa wrote:No T-Shirt just yet...............

I have really wanted to listen to Lee Morgan's 'The Sidewinder' this week and haven't been able to locate it!! :evil:

I'm sharing it on Soulseek.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 20 Oct 2007, 18:01

Snarfyguy wrote:
Balboa wrote:No T-Shirt just yet...............

I'm sharing it on Soulseek.

Thanks - I have it, just can't find it! I love the blue note collection, but all the damn spines look the same!!

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 20 Oct 2007, 19:11

goldwax wrote:
Balboa wrote: I have it, just can't find it! I love the blue note collection, but all the damn spines look the same!!

That's what the alphabet is for, my friend!

I think I can guess the thread that maybe will start again soon... :lol:

Andrew Lou Goldman
Footy gives me a boner

Postby Andrew Lou Goldman » 20 Oct 2007, 19:17

Just bought 2 CD's about an hour ago. This one isn't a remaster, but I've wanted it for awhile anyway:

This is a 2003 remaster, supposedly only being sold until June 2006 (which must have simply been left over):

Six String

Postby Six String » 21 Oct 2007, 23:25

Balboa, Sonny Clark recomendations are short and easy. All of his Bluenote albums are worth owning. The one I would put at the bottom of the list is one called Standards, which is exactly that. It's a decent album, but I prefer his other albums which feature compostions by Sonny and his bandmates and they sound much fresher to me. Standards was a bunch of singles and stray tracks released in Japan only until recently. I bought it because I owned the rest of his BN catalog and was a little disappointed. The playing is fine, but there's no fire. I can't give you detailed notes for now but the following are definitely worth owning if you like his music.

Leapin' and Lopin' - has Monk's saxaphonist Charlie Rouse
Dial S for Sonny - has Art Farmer and Hank Mobley
Sonny's Crib - has John Coltrane
Sonny Clark - trio setting with Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones

They are all good. I've had the eponymous album the longest, so I'm more "up" for the others now. I suddenly woke up to him after owning that first one and Cool Struttin' for years.

I came back to say, I've been listening to Leapin' and Lopin'. Very nice indeed. Get it.
Last edited by Six String on 22 Oct 2007, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 21 Oct 2007, 23:28

The Dick of BCB wrote:Just bought 2 CD's about an hour ago. This one isn't a remaster, but I've wanted it for awhile anyway:

This is one of the few Bluenote albums by Wayne Shorter that I don't have. I haven't seen it in the stores for years, otherwise I probably would have bought it by now. I love those early Wayne albums. I'm not as much of a fan of his newer stuff, but those old albums are killer. I just listened to Schizophrenia and ETC. a couple of days ago. I realised that I hadn't played any of his music in a real long time.

I'm assuming, it's up to his usual high standards. Do you have The Young Lions on Vee Jay? That's a killer hardbop album.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Andrew Lou Goldman
Footy gives me a boner

Postby Andrew Lou Goldman » 22 Oct 2007, 13:11

Six String wrote:
The Dick of BCB wrote:Just bought 2 CD's about an hour ago. This one isn't a remaster, but I've wanted it for awhile anyway:

This is one of the few Bluenote albums by Wayne Shorter that I don't have. I haven't seen it in the stores for years, otherwise I probably would have bought it by now. I love those early Wayne albums. I'm not as much of a fan of his newer stuff, but those old albums are killer. I just listened to Schizophrenia and ETC. a couple of days ago. I realised that I hadn't played any of his music in a real long time.

I'm assuming, it's up to his usual high standards. Do you have The Young Lions on Vee Jay? That's a killer hardbop album.

I definitely don't own enough Wayne Shorter. I only have "Speak No Evil", "Juju", "Adam's Apple" and my latest purchase "The Soothsayer."

I'm focusing in on purchasing more Shorter stuff in the next few weeks and I'll search out "The Young Lions."

Thanks for the recommendation.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 22 Dec 2007, 10:11

Bump!!

Six String

Postby Six String » 22 Dec 2007, 17:20

Nothing to report from Camp Six String. I haven't bought any new cds lately, only old vinyl.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 03 Jan 2008, 14:24

Six String wrote:I love those early Wayne albums. I'm not as much of a fan of his newer stuff, but those old albums are killer. I just listened to Schizophrenia and ETC. a couple of days ago. I realised that I hadn't played any of his music in a real long time.

I bought "Schizophrenia" last week and I'm listening again now (3rd or 4th time). It's a great album!

Six String

Postby Six String » 03 Jan 2008, 22:22

I haven't given Schizo a spin in a long while. I should put it on soon.

Today, I picked up Baby Willette's Face to Face. It's supposed to be fantastic and it's got Grant Green on it too! That might be part of why it's so good. ;)
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Andrew Lou Goldman
Footy gives me a boner

Postby Andrew Lou Goldman » 04 Jan 2008, 01:10

The in-laws gave me a nice sized gift certificate to Borders.

I walked in last weekend and got these:

I still have a couple of hundred bucks left on this card, but I'm going to actually put a small list together and won't do anymore impulse buying.

Time to use the head.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 04 Jan 2008, 09:29

The Dick of BCB wrote:The in-laws gave me a nice sized gift certificate to Borders.

I still have a couple of hundred bucks left on this card, but I'm going to actually put a small list together and won't do anymore impulse buying.

Time to use the head.

I can't see what they are properly - what is on them?

Andrew Lou Goldman
Footy gives me a boner

Postby Andrew Lou Goldman » 04 Jan 2008, 12:59

Balboa wrote:
The Dick of BCB wrote:The in-laws gave me a nice sized gift certificate to Borders.

Time to use the head.

I can't see what they are properly - what is on them?

They are the "Fearless Leader" (literally all of Coltrane's Prestige work as a frontman) and "Interplay" (literally all of Coltrane's Prestige work as a sideman) box sets.

I never owned Coltrane's Complete Prestige Recordings box, so I purchased this. The 24 Bit remastering sounds UNBELIEVABLE.

I noticed a significant difference in sound (for the better) in comparison with some of the Prestige albums I played. The customer reviews for these items seem to echo that sentiment.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”