simpsons question

..and why not?
Six String

simpsons question

Postby Six String » 18 Jun 2007, 19:22

Does anyone know which episode of the Simpsons has Homer's trip ala Carlos Casteneda after eating a super hot peppper from South America in a pepper eating contest? I want to order that through netflix, but I don't know which year it came out.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 18 Jun 2007, 19:33

El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Homer Written by Ken Keeler
[The Mysterious Voyage of Homer] Directed by Jim Reardon
==============================================================================
Production code: 3F24 Original Airdate on FOX: 5-Jan-97
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Six String

Postby Six String » 18 Jun 2007, 19:35

count machuki wrote:El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Homer Written by Ken Keeler

Do you know which season (in years) that is? Excellent work by the way.
I've been wanting to see that episode again for years.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 18 Jun 2007, 19:53

Six String wrote:

8th, i believe. can you tell me more about Casteneda? i know nothing about him, except a psychedelic reputation.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 18 Jun 2007, 19:56

1997, according to IMDB.

Johnny Cash was the voice of the coyote, but I assume you knew that.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Postby jude » 18 Jun 2007, 20:37

count machuki wrote:
Six String wrote:

8th, i believe.
It was the 8th, definitely.

A cracking season it was too: You Only Move Twice, Lisa's Date With Density, Hurricane Neddy, Homer's Enemy... I could go on. Brilliant.
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

Six String

Postby Six String » 18 Jun 2007, 23:24

Thanks for everyone's help. I've started renting the discs from netflix recently and I started with season one, but I really want to see that episode, so I think I'll be skipping ahead for a while.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 18 Jun 2007, 23:28

count machuki wrote:
Six String wrote:

8th, i believe. can you tell me more about Casteneda? i know nothing about him, except a psychedelic reputation.

Castaneda's psychedelics were peyote and a few other things (Dartura was one of them I think) and were taken in Mexico with an old "teacher" and he wrote a few books about the experiences. The books are quasi - religious experience, answers for the riddles in life kind of stuff. I read those books many years and drugs ago, so I can't give you a very good answer. The books were very popular with the hippy crowd in the 70's.
You could probably get a better answer from the internet, or possibly someone else on the board. Sorry that I'm not very helpful.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

The Tourist

Postby The Tourist » 19 Jun 2007, 11:56

on a side note...

seasons 5 - 10 of the simpsons are the only ones really worth caring about IMO. a truly golden period where they were unmatched by anything else on television, let alone cartoons or comedy.

10 was the beginning of the end, where the plots became repetetive and the emphasis switched to what guest cameo they could get this week....
everybody hates a tourist, especially one who thinks it's all such a laugh, and the chip-stains and grease will come out in the bath

marios

Postby marios » 19 Jun 2007, 12:21

The Tourist wrote:on a side note...

seasons 5 - 10 of the simpsons are the only ones really worth caring about IMO. a truly golden period where they were unmatched by anything else on television, let alone cartoons or comedy.

10 was the beginning of the end, where the plots became repetetive and the emphasis switched to what guest cameo they could get this week....

I'd say 3-8.

The Tourist

Postby The Tourist » 19 Jun 2007, 12:40

= marios = wrote:

I'd say 3-8.

3 shows a glimmer of what it would become, classics such as bart the general etc... but a lot of the really funny periferal chacters were yet to be established. 9 and 10 still have some screamingly funny episodes, but are starting to show their age...
everybody hates a tourist, especially one who thinks it's all such a laugh, and the chip-stains and grease will come out in the bath

marios

Postby marios » 19 Jun 2007, 13:05

The Tourist wrote:
= marios = wrote:

I'd say 3-8.

3 shows a glimmer of what it would become, classics such as bart the general etc... but a lot of the really funny periferal chacters were yet to be established. 9 and 10 still have some screamingly funny episodes, but are starting to show their age...

I haven't watched 10 yet (waiting for the DVDs). Maybe you're right about 9, it wasn't bad. 3 is a bit primal, but i like it.

The Tourist

Postby The Tourist » 19 Jun 2007, 14:11

they all have their moments... I think a lot of quality control goes out the window when you're producing something of this logevity and frequency. so there's always going to be good episodes, but they increasingly get lost in a tide of guff.

The Tourist

Postby The Tourist » 19 Jun 2007, 14:13

anyone excited about the film? saw the trailer recently, and it could be a fitting climax to a great institution.

it could of course be rubbish :(

marios

Postby marios » 19 Jun 2007, 19:54

The trailer was extremely disappointing. I think it will suck.

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 Jun 2007, 21:47

I'm not expecting anything big with the movie. The show is perfect in its short version. Ninety minutes or more seems too long. I'm sure I'll watch it though.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe
spud thick mick

Postby Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe » 25 Jun 2007, 07:07

The Tourist wrote:anyone excited about the film?

I hope it's the final nail in the coffin for the show.

The Simpsons have betrayed a generation.

The Tourist

Postby The Tourist » 25 Jun 2007, 08:59

Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe wrote:

:lol: do they really grind your gears??

Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe
spud thick mick

Postby Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe » 25 Jun 2007, 09:17

The Tourist wrote:
Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe wrote:

:lol: do they really grind your gears??

I just feel so let down by the awful deterioration in quality over the last number of years. For the golden period it was the best thing that had ever been on television. Then the creators let it slide into mediocrity, no better than the slew of crappy comedies that block up the airwaves week in week out.

The Simpsons was more than just a cartoon series, it practically defined a generation in teh mid 90s, people identified with it. Matt Groening and his pals couldn't kill the golden goose, they had to keep churning out shit. The most embarrassing thing is how they still say in interviews that it's fresh and good. Pathetic, it's fucking abysmal crap. Things like Family Guy and American Dad piss all over it from a height. Even Futurama was superior in the latter days.

The 400th episode was on a few weeks ago. Who gives a damn? Your time is up Groening. Piss off.

The Tourist

Postby The Tourist » 25 Jun 2007, 10:42

futurama always was and always will be Matt Groening's masterpice.

Family Guy started out great, I remember the impact the first show I saw had...

but that, over series 4-5 has descended into a mediocre rut of US cultural parody, the south park episode that mocks it was totally unneccessary since it pointed out nothing that wasn't screamingly obvious from the show itself, although It did manage to unite cartman and bart simpson at fox studios, in a classic encounter that has the exchange between bart claiming to skateboard on the sidewalk and graffitti, and cartman's retort of "oh yeah? well I once minced up a kids parents and fed them to him as chilli"

:lol:

american dad started weak but has improved massively, but out of all of them it's a close run 'tween futurama and Southpark.

southpark has run for only 2/3 seasons less than simpsons, yet the new episodes are still fairly legendary (like all cases theere are great and not so great of course)

I think it is down to the writing - most US sitcoms are written by a committe, a pool of writers all vying to get their material in, some of whom might go episodes without making a mark on the show, whereas SP is still very much written by matt and tre, meaning that the characters only move in a direction they want them to move in, and whose jokes are written by people who know the characters inside out.

Return to “Screenadelica”