what do you think of him?
keep in mind, he speaks highly of you!

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 02 Feb 2007, 21:28

that screenplay for Patton.
not too shabby!

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 02 Feb 2007, 21:29

that movie "Jack" with Robin Williams. pretty bad!!!

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 02 Feb 2007, 21:29

I got a bottle of his wine for about 11 dollars.
pretty good!

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 02 Feb 2007, 21:34

He made The Godfather films, The Conversation, and Apocalypse Now. Those titles alone cement his position among the greats. I also really liked Tucker, One From The Heart, Rumblefish, The Outsiders, The Cotton Club, Gardens of Stone, and The Rainmaker off the top of my head. I can forgive him Jack.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Stirling Moss

Postby Stirling Moss » 02 Feb 2007, 21:36

davey the fat boy wrote: I also really liked The Cotton Club

:shock: :shock: :shock:

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 02 Feb 2007, 21:36

Wow, I totally forgot about Jack... until now. :x

That Tucker movie was pretty good though.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 02 Feb 2007, 21:51

I seem to have some kind of weird thing with Coppola movies- in addition to having just seen the Godfather all the way through for the first time, I also only saw Apocalypse Now for the first time five years or so ago. And I've never seen any of the others. I know the Conversation in particular is another one I should try to make a point of.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 02 Feb 2007, 21:52

Wolfie the Jackal wrote:
davey the fat boy wrote: I also really liked The Cotton Club

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Absolutely. It's a very good film.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 02 Feb 2007, 21:54

Francis Ford Coppola made Jack? Fuck off!

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 02 Feb 2007, 22:00

Four epic films- the two Godfathers, Apocalypse Now, and the Coversation (not sure about the last, actually- does it qualify as an epic?) in seven years!!

Pretty damned impressive. Was he cocaine-fueled like Scorsese? Pretty prolific, regardless.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 02 Feb 2007, 22:18

I love 'Cotton Club' too, wolfie!
maybe it's the perfect place to start talking about him. razzle dazzle out the wing wang. the "I'm gonna kill him with my tap shoes" sequence alone would make me return to this time and again.

I might agree with detractors who say Gere and Lane don't really cut it but I guess I don't feel like they need to because it's really pretty much an ensemble film.

I think 'Cotton Club" is just chock full of wonderful movie moments .
I love how Coppola went nuts with antiquated period techniques (like wipes and dissolves). I think, since the movie had then modern ideas about violence and stuff that it gives it a wonderful energy.

the one everybody seems to like that I don't rate at all is 'Peggy Sue Got Married'
ugh.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 02 Feb 2007, 22:21

one of the things I like about 'The Cotton Club' - Owney Madden knows when he's licked. that, like the watch scene with Fred Gwynne, these are really neat things to see in a period crime film to me.

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 02 Feb 2007, 22:27

davey the fat boy wrote:He made The Godfather films, The Conversation, and Apocalypse Now. Those titles alone cement his position among the greats. I also really liked Tucker, One From The Heart, Rumblefish, The Outsiders, The Cotton Club, Gardens of Stone, and The Rainmaker off the top of my head. I can forgive him Jack.

He also made One From The Heart with an OK story, a good cast, incredible cinematography and possibly the world's best soundtrack. I'm not much of a film buff, but it's probably my second favorite film.
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 02 Feb 2007, 22:30

New Toby wrote:Francis Ford Coppola made Jack? Fuck off!

No, really.
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 02 Feb 2007, 22:35

I have mixed feelings about 'One From the Heart'
in theory, I like the idea of making a little sad sack love story and giving it all the studio razzle dazzle that money can buy. on the other hand, it seems a little like putting a very modest picture in a very ornate frame.
I like it very much it just strikes me as a funny thing to do.

maybe that's part of what I like about FFC, you never know what he's got up his sleeve. still, maybe on some level I find it a little unsatisfying.

James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 03 Feb 2007, 06:03

No love for Dementia 13? I know it's just a Psycho knock-off, but I have a soft spot for it.

The Conversation is a must-see, though it took me a few goes to get it. I would now say it's probably one of the best films of the 1970s, but I didn't like it at all on first viewing.

He is, incidentally, apparently in the final stages of his first new film since 1997.
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

marios

Postby marios » 03 Feb 2007, 06:13

James R wrote:No love for Dementia 13? I know it's just a Psycho knock-off, but I have a soft spot for it.

The Conversation is a must-see, though it took me a few goes to get it. I would now say it's probably one of the best films of the 1970s, but I didn't like it at all on first viewing.

He is, incidentally, apparently in the final stages of his first new film since 1997.

"Youth Without Youth". IMDB describes it as a pre-WWII drama and it stars Tim Roth :? , Bruno Ganz and an unknown (to me) cast of Romanian (mostly) actors. It's based on a Romanian novel that's supposed to be good, but for now it looks a bit dodgy to me.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 03 Feb 2007, 07:56

he used to always talk about this "Interface" project - his science fiction movie. I guess he'll never get around to it. I mean, how many does he have left?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 04 Feb 2007, 23:29

I have to put in a shout for Rumblefish among his minor films. Someone, possibly Kael, described it as "Camus for kids"; I suspect this was meant desparagingly but I don't think its such a bad thing.
The whole thing may largely be an exercise in style, but its all so wonderfully done I'm not complaining. It's genuinely off-beat and so in thrall to its own pretensions that it manages to pull it off in an audacious way.
And I still think Rourke is great as The Motorcycle Boy. One of my favourite films from the 80's in fact.

Return to “Screenadelica”