Let's get to it.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 30 Jan 2007, 22:51

I think he's a bona fide genius.
seriously.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 30 Jan 2007, 22:54

I think I'll rate "Days of Heaven" highest but admit to not really being able to sit down with 'the new world' yet. I watch most of my movies at home and maybe I don't SHOOSH people as much as I should.

I like 'Badlands' every bit as much but just think "Heaven" is a triumph of style - he really hit his thing on that one. I like 'thin red line' very much but will bitch and moan about it if need be. the verdict is still out on the last.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 30 Jan 2007, 22:55

'bitch and moan' is a little strong. I love 'thin red line' I'm just aware of certain things that bother people and might admit some of them bother me but just a bit. I think it's pretty remarkable, really.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 30 Jan 2007, 22:56

Sneelock wrote:I think he's a bona fide genius.
seriously.

Agreed. Sadly I have to go to bed..up early marking, oh ironies of ironies, film papers. Probably won't get a chance to compose a long post until the weekend.
Let's just say for now he's one of the few directors to have really defined his own distinctive ouevre. He makes films like no other.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 30 Jan 2007, 22:57

Voted "love him" only because "like him a lot, with reservations" wasn't an option. Badlands is great, Days of Heaven near-great, found The Thin Red Line dull (though I'm prepared to give it another viewing based on positive reviews here, among other places), haven't seen The New World. Purely visually, he's certainly one of the best ever. Not sure whether he dispenses with narrative entirely or is not good at it.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 30 Jan 2007, 23:03

seriously.

Haha. I agree.

Before we get to the unavoidable debate about The Thin Red Line and The New World, let's start with Badlands. Ever since I saw it first as a kid I've been entranced by this film. It practically defined my whole understanding of cinema. So much of it seems to take place in between the narrative.

A few points for discussion:

Before burning down the house, Sheen's character records a confession on a 45. Why didn't he write a note?

Also - when he is captured he stops for a moment and marks the spot on the ground where the capture will soon take place. It's an amazingly inexplicable, yet completely human thing to do. We all romanticize our own lives to some degree. Has any film ever broached that subject with more subtlety?

marios

Postby marios » 30 Jan 2007, 23:03

toomanyhatz wrote:Voted "love him" only because "like him a lot, with reservations" wasn't an option. Badlands is great, Days of Heaven near-great, found The Thin Red Line dull (though I'm prepared to give it another viewing based on positive reviews here, among other places), haven't seen The New World. Purely visually, he's certainly one of the best ever. Not sure whether he dispenses with narrative entirely or is not good at it.

I think i entirely agree with this post.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 30 Jan 2007, 23:12

well, I think he has "literary pretensions" and I don't think that's entirely a bad thing. surely, you run the risk of being called pretentious and that's certainly a fair call. I think his movies are rich in a way most movies aren't and that his narrative technique is much of the reason.

still, there's something to be said for variety. maybe that's why I like 'Days of Heaven' best. you don't confuse the little girl with anybody else. her voice is strong. I think that's a big help.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 30 Jan 2007, 23:25

davey the fat boy wrote:
seriously.

Haha. I agree.

Before we get to the unavoidable debate about The Thin Red Line and The New World, let's start with Badlands. Ever since I saw it first as a kid I've been entranced by this film. It practically defined my whole understanding of cinema. So much of it seems to take place in between the narrative.

A few points for discussion:

Before burning down the house, Sheen's character records a confession on a 45. Why didn't he write a note?

He could be illiterate or at least only semi-literate, this is perhaps hinted at near the beginning during the interview at the welfare office. Certainly all the jobs he gets are unskilled manual ones.
Perhaps more importantly he, like Holly, is child of the new pop age of the 50's (his James Dean obsession etc.). Something like recording on a 45 holds an allure for him (new technology!) that writing wouldn't.

davey the fat boy wrote:
Also - when he is captured he stops for a moment and marks the spot on the ground where the capture will soon take place. It's an amazingly inexplicable, yet completely human thing to do. We all romanticize our own lives to some degree. Has any film ever broached that subject with more subtlety?

It's beautifully subtle. He is obsessed throughout the film with leaving his mark, as well as the aforementioned recording of the 45, he also leaves a message at the rich man's house. Of course he is a man with nothing to say who has never been listened to, this is as close as Malick lets us get in discovering a psychological motive for the killings. Really Sheen's whole performance is a portrait of self-absorbtion: the preening posing on the horizon, the constant checking of himself in the car mirror. Kit lives in a solipsistic world of self-obsession which is why he's so desperate to be recognised.
Last edited by The Modernist on 22 Feb 2007, 03:51, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Maps
a drunk in a midnight choir

Postby Mr Maps » 31 Jan 2007, 01:32

I love him and actually prefer Days of Heaven to Badlands.
Thin Red Line is great but New World made me antsy, impatient.

Let me think a bit.
nathan wrote:I realize there is a time and a place for unsexy music, but I personally have no time for it.

Django wrote: It's video clips of earnest post-rock I want, and I have little time for anything else.

19th biggest tosser on BCB

Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe
spud thick mick

Postby Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe » 31 Jan 2007, 09:05

I love Badlands. Haven't seen Days Of Heaven.
The Thin Red Line confused me (I couldn't hear most of the dialogue as far as I can recall)
The New World was decent but it didn't help that some eejit with a Dublin accent was in it most of the time.

Let me ask this pertinent question - if Terence Malick only ever made 4 movies (and two in the last 10 years), how did he ever pay his rent?

Seriously, how did this guy make money? Was he a screenwriter, or anonymous director for hire? Maybe he did Police Academy 6 under a pseudonym?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 31 Jan 2007, 09:29

well, I seriously doubt that he does anything on spec. I'll bet he gets paid. I suspect he's a guy like Robert Towne who doesn't always get his name on the screen and I doubt the guy is poor. if you get paid to develop something and nothing ever comes from it, you might manage to put some money in the bank anyway. you will if you're smart, anyway and I have a hunch tht he is.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 31 Jan 2007, 14:16

Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe wrote:I love Badlands. Haven't seen Days Of Heaven.
The Thin Red Line confused me (I couldn't hear most of the dialogue as far as I can recall)
The New World was decent but it didn't help that some eejit with a Dublin accent was in it most of the time.

Let me ask this pertinent question - if Terence Malick only ever made 4 movies (and two in the last 10 years), how did he ever pay his rent?

Seriously, how did this guy make money? Was he a screenwriter, or anonymous director for hire? Maybe he did Police Academy 6 under a pseudonym?

From IMDB

He taught in France from 1979-1994.

He grew up on a farm and worked as a farmhand before studying philosophy at Harvard. After graduating he went to Magdalen College, Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar but left before finishing his thesis (on Martin Heidegger) after a disagreement with his advisor. He moved back to the United States and taught philosophy at MIT while freelancing as a journalist.

Turned down an offer to direct The Elephant Man (1980).

Wrote an unused draft of Great Balls Of Fire!
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 31 Jan 2007, 18:12

And though none of those movies were huge hits, they all made some money. Even if his earnings for the four is a couple of million combined (which would be pretty low-level pay for a known director), I'm sure he can live relatively comfortably on that.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe
spud thick mick

Postby Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe » 31 Jan 2007, 18:54

toomanyhatz wrote:

And though none of those movies were huge hits, they all made some money. Even if his earnings for the four is a couple of million combined (which would be pretty low-level pay for a known director), I'm sure he can live relatively comfortably on that.

Yeah, true....

Man, that seems like a nice life! Knock out a classic ever other decade. Nice.

Grollope
Barred from the Eisteddfod

Postby Grollope » 01 Feb 2007, 00:13

But is it Art?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-C2Ar4gpi8

Jimbo wrote: my gay friend told me all one has to do is take half. Sounds sensible. Try it.

Copehead wrote: they are choosing to monitor butt hose

James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 02 Feb 2007, 07:26

I can't believe I'm the only person to have voted "hate" so far.
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 02 Feb 2007, 07:33

James R wrote:I can't believe I'm the only person to have voted "hate" so far.

Can you elaborate on your vote? Have you seen all four of his films?

Return to “Screenadelica”