BCB 100 - The Flaming Lips

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 09 Oct 2006, 18:10

Funnily I was never that fond of "The Soft Bulletin" (hated the production, particularly the over-loud drums), and their earlier output is patchy in the extreme. I feel that all the much-praised 'experimentalism' is just the noodling of musicians too snobbish to embrace their pop instincts. Finally they ditched the elitism got it right on their last two LPs. The latest one is their finest by some way - an aural bath I can wrap myself in, while mixing as many metaphors as possible....

Still their best song is their earliest pop hit:

Song - She Don't Use Jelly
Album - At War With The Mystics

Oh, and I liked Curve, even though they never bettered "Ten Little Girls".

morganspacehorse

Postby morganspacehorse » 09 Oct 2006, 21:24

i would have to say that theres more noodling on the newest album than any of the 90s albums, but each to their own.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 09 Oct 2006, 21:45

Yeah, I don't really hear too much noodling on Clouds Taste Metallic or Transmissions from the Satellite Heart, either- I mean, neither LP has tracks that exceed 5 minutes, and they're both pretty compact in their design- maybe some of the songs are a bit too anarchic for their own good, but there's a pop acumen in there. Zaireeka aside, they definitely improved throughout the decade, however.

There's certainly a sense that they're moving towards something 'big' in their work- as Loveless nails exactly, Soft Bulletin is the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot of their career, for better or worse. At War with the Mystics is an improvement over the spotty Yoshimi. While it meanders a hell of a lot, even during the best bits (the Floydian "Pompei At Gotterdamerung," for instance), it's a reasonable compromise between certain aspects of its two predecessors.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 09 Oct 2006, 22:12

I'm kind of with the Baron on this. After listening to them since the early 90's, that Soft Bulletin sure was a bit of a surprise. But then I got bored of it after about 2 months. Same with everything since.

They've never really had much substance and never will but people seem to find it in there somewhere. I do like them, but c'mon...

Beno

Postby Beno » 09 Oct 2006, 22:50

I only know them from Soft Bulletin onwards and of those albums Soft Bulletin is the best by a fair margin. I found Yoshimi a big disappointment but At War the Mystics has been a big return to form. So it's:

Album: Soft Bulletin
Song: The W.A.N.D

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 09 Oct 2006, 22:59

I got on board at Transmissions... and it was a climb to Soft Bulletin and then a decline back down again. The last LP was, um, ok, but never got anywhere near as (yes) transcendental as that mighty career peak.

LP: The Soft Bulletin
Song: Waitin' For A Superman

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 10 Oct 2006, 01:20

nathan wrote:I'm kind of with the Baron on this. After listening to them since the early 90's, that Soft Bulletin sure was a bit of a surprise. But then I got bored of it after about 2 months. Same with everything since.

They've never really had much substance and never will but people seem to find it in there somewhere. I do like them, but c'mon...

They don't have much substance? Tackling the big questions of love, life and death and doing so successfully with wonderful pop songs is pretty substantial, surely?
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 10 Oct 2006, 01:34

Terrapin wrote:
king feeb wrote:I like the earlier stuff better. It's a little more raw and loud. Also it's a bit more confused and experimental, which makes their albums a bit patchy, but the peaks are so much higher.

I love you (but not in a gay way). :D

Oy! Hands off! He's mine!

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 10 Oct 2006, 16:56

Leg of lamb wrote:They don't have much substance? Tackling the big questions of love, life and death and doing so successfully with wonderful pop songs is pretty substantial, surely?

So that's what he's been warbling about? Compared to Ol' Hank, they ain't nuthin'.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 10 Oct 2006, 23:47

album: In a Priest Driven Ambulance
song:
win: Hells Angel's Cracker Factory (yes, really)
place: can't exist
show: Felt Good to Burn

feeb pretty much said what I would have said so I'll just sing instead!
If Love was a drug and it was cheap, everybody could get some sleep!
I love these guys!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 11 Oct 2006, 17:44

Sea Of Tunes wrote:
Leg of lamb wrote:One of the greats. The Soft Bulletin is one of those, y'know, special records. Probably my favourite album by a still-functioning artist.

Album: The Soft Bulletin
Song: 'The Spark that Bled'

:lol: should become common parlance. Man asks in record shop: 'Sir, do you have records by still-functioning artists?'

I remember telling people at work I was going to see the Flaming Lips, this must have been 1996 or so before they were major league famous. One of the ladies laughed and said "well with a name like that I'm sure they're GREAT." I said, "They're probably my favorite living band." The whole group looked at me and one of them said, "You mean most of the groups you like are, what? UNDEAD?"
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 11 Oct 2006, 18:40

Album - Yoshimi
Song - All We Have Is Now
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 Oct 2006, 18:48

Like so many modern bands (and they're not so modern when you think how long they've been around) I like certain songs more than whole albums. And there's good songs on every Lips LP I own. I could make a much better compilation, quality-wise, than any of their actual records.

The Soft Bulletin was one of those overly-praised CDs that when I finally heard it I was a tad disapointed. Again--some excellent songs but the whole is somewhat less than the, well, you know...

And the highlights of Yoshimi are every bit as good as those of Soft Bulletin.

Not to mention they're a tremendous live act.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 11 Oct 2006, 22:13

Matt Wilson wrote:Not to mention they're a tremendous live act.

Indeed, the time I saw them in Auckland in '04 was one of the most special indeed, just the sheer sense of fun they bring to their shows- light shows! crowd members invited on stage to dance in animal constumes! string sections! Of course, there's something knowingly overblown about it, but I think there's also a strange modesty and unselfconsciousness in the shows, amidst all the silliness, their set (and the band) was really tightly honed.\

A good Flaming Lips compilation that covers 93-06 would be a good idea, I know there's that collection of their early 80s work, so it would be useful to have a complimentary one.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 11 Oct 2006, 22:55

The Soft Bulletin is one of the few albums which I feel strongly about as a, y'know, coherent statement and all that jazz. I'd never want to hear it chopped about and fucked with.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

pcqgod

Re: BCB 100 - The Flaming Lips

Postby pcqgod » 27 Jun 2010, 20:54

My username is a contraction of the song title "Pilot Can at the Queer of God."

Album: In a Priest Driven Ambulance
Song: Frogs
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 28 Jun 2010, 02:49

pcqgod wrote:My username is a contraction of the song title "Pilot Can at the Queer of God."

Excellent! Did you play a Lush record today? I saw them open for Lush at the Backroom, it was either between Priest Driven and Hit To Death (both great, neglected records) or right as Hit To Death was coming out. I recall a half hour of cacophony. After that, every time they came through town, they raised their game. They're still doing it today.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 28 Jun 2010, 05:51

The Baron wrote:
pcqgod wrote:My username is a contraction of the song title "Pilot Can at the Queer of God."

Excellent! Did you play a Lush record today? I saw them open for Lush at the Backroom, it was either between Priest Driven and Hit To Death (both great, neglected records) or right as Hit To Death was coming out. I recall a half hour of cacophony. After that, every time they came through town, they raised their game. They're still doing it today.

I wish I had seen that show. I remember seeing the Lips at Liberty Lunch playing after Throwing Muses first time I saw them, probably around 92.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Return to “BCB 100”