your most memorable gigs

Do talk back
The Tourist

Postby The Tourist » 03 Oct 2006, 12:15

Leg of lamb wrote:Not gonna try a chronological approach:

R.E.M, Old Trafford, 2003
At the time they were unimpeachable for me. I'd been digging through the IRS years and had ever so slight worries about them losing all that I held dear about them in a large stadium. But they were sensational - it was a hot July day, I was old enough to have a beer and they ripped through a greatest hits set with gusto above and beyond what I was expecting. I can still remember looking up at the blueish midsummer night sky during 'Fall On Me' and being a bit overwhelmed with how perfect it was.

I am really jealous... wanted to go and see them at the city ground on that tour, but couldn't really justify the £45 ticket price...

Queens of the Stone Age, Cardiff Union, 2002
They quite frankly tore the whole room a new arsehole. It was the Songs For The Deaf tour and they were firing on every cylinder, tight as a bag of bad mussels and playing in a venue small enough for the sweat to be palpable wherever you went in the room.

another of my favourite bands... saw them at leeds fest last year, but without Nick Oliveri they're a starting to feel a little bit old...

Elvis Costello, Hay-on-Wye Festival, 2005
To be honest, I didn't have the highest of hopes for this beforehand. I'd been drinking with Owen all afternoon and got a train with my sister to Newport more than a little bit pissed where we met my mother and drove through the wet, lush Welsh countryside to get to the festival. I had a few more pints before we went into the gig, so I was back on board. It was just really fun - he opened with 'Welcome To The Working Week' and ended with a medley of 'Alison', 'Pump It Up', 'You've Really Got A Hold On Me', all sorts. I went to the front with my sister and danced with all the old couples.

King Creosote, Seymour's Family Club, Bristol, 2006
Charming set in a great venue. Rejuvenated my enthusiasm for live music after a long period of just going to clubs.

damn you people have seen some amazing bands!

The White Stripes, Leeds Festival, 2004
A monster of a show. It was the nearest I've come to seeing one of those big Led Zep shows I've seen on How The West Was Won. No matter what you think about them on Radio 1, I find it hard to see how a fan of rock'n'roll could not be bowled over by them live.

Mondo Generator - Reading 2004
The White Stripes were good, but i can't remember whether Mondo Generator or Auf Der Maur were on at the same time, either way I was watching them, Mondo Generator were one of my best gigs... right down at the front, moshing like a mofo, Mark Lanegan came on about half way through, and Oliveri broke out an accoustic guitar and everything was perfect!

Greenday - Also Reading 2004

This was turning into a stunning festival, and Greenday on the last night were definitly the highlight, Fiddy Cent had had his hissy fit and stormed off, so greenday took to the stage an hour or so early, very nearly missed the start, but was milling around the stalls when i heard the opening chords of American Idiot blast out, legged it over to the stage and was blown away... Mainly a greates hti's set, the new album was yet to be released, so we didn't have to sit through loads of new material, or billy in makeup... got all my favourite songs, the ridiculous showboating on king for a day, and the greenday standard, 'let's make a band from the audience' went down well... but after they'd finished their set, instead of going off early they just kept playing... we had some classics brought outas they delved into their back catalogue, including a solo played behind his head on 2000light years away, a cover of the Buzzcocks Ever Fallen in Love and Sham 69's Borstal Breakout. finally left the stage, only for Billy to return with an accoustic and give a rousing version of Good Riddance that the crowd sang every word to... the perfect end to the perfect set!

Radiohead - Newcastle Arena, Sometime on their last tour

What can I say... Asian Dub foundation were a weird, ill fitting yet inspired choice of opening act, and Radiohead were weird, ill fitting yet stunning.,..

played Fake Plastic Trees, Paranoid Android, Street Spirit and Just, none of which I was expecting to hear, and I very nearly came when Johnny played the opening riff to Talk Show Host :D
everybody hates a tourist, especially one who thinks it's all such a laugh, and the chip-stains and grease will come out in the bath

Footy
Filler

Postby Footy » 03 Oct 2006, 14:37

These will have appeared before but Scally's still going on about the Stones in Hyde Park so here goes;

Startour 64 Romford Odeon Feb '64.

This was my first ever proper gig (or concert in the parlance of the times). I was only 12 and although allowed to attend on my own, my parents drove me there and collected me afterwards.

It was a 10-act package tour so typical of the times and included such icons as Jet Harris, Mike Sarne, John Leyton and Bern Elliot and the Fenmen.
Me, though, I'd gone to see the band (or group as we called them then) that would close the show's first half - the Rolling Stones. They sang only 3 or 4 songs, screaming girls drowned them out and most of the hall tried to rush the stage. No matter - I was there only a few yards from the act that became and remained my favourite of all time.
This was just about the time that Not Fade Away was released.

The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67

We'd bought tickets for The Who plus support so when JHE turned out to be that support it was, shall we say, a bit of a bonus. He'd only been in England for a short time but we'd seen him on telly with Hey Joe having been in the chart in the preceding few weeks. Nothing could have prepared us for him - he was like nothing any of us had seen or heard before. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year.
The Who were pretty good, too. I was a bit disappointed that the gear they smashed up was not the actual gear they were using but a pile of tatty old crap brought specially for the exercise of destruction.

Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre. Sunday June 4th '67

This was the second or third time to see Jimi (plus support). Procol Harum were on the bill and this was the very day that A Whiter Shade of Pale hit number 1. Denny Laine and The Chiffons made up the rest of the show.
The previous Friday had seen the release of Sgt Pepper, Paul McCartney was in the audience in a box by the stage and Jimi opened his set with the album's title track.

Howlin' Wolf The King's Head, Romford 1968.

Given that this is my all-time best ever gig, I'm surprisingly vague on the date but the venue is certain and I'm 99.9% sure of the year. This was only a pub gig, albeit in a reasonably sized function hall on the side of the pub. It was a regular haunt over several years and we saw countless bands there over time.
But the Wolf was something else. A huge man, threatening yet kind & cuddly at the same time. He wore a plain white shirt open-necked and smart trousers in mid-grey. These and his white hair gave him an air of respectability and distinction that vanished as soon as he started howling, thrusting his hips and doing all sorts of phallic naughty stuff with the mic.
What a voive, what a persona - such charisma and magnetism.
The only downside was that he'd come here without his own musicians. This happened a lot at that time, sometimes becuse of financial considerations and sometimes because of MU restrictions. He was backed by England's own John Dummer Blues Band but the thrill of seeing the Wolf was enough to cover any shortcomings they may have had.

That's probably enough of my rambling but there are more I could have mentioned. That's the trouble with being old.
Grab your coat sweetheart....I've got a knife.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Oct 2006, 14:52

And there's your winner (he could have included Zep from October '68 too, you know. Can't think why he didn't. :lol: )
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Tourist

Postby The Tourist » 03 Oct 2006, 15:22

Diamond Dog wrote:And there's your winner (he could have included Zep from October '68 too, you know. Can't think why he didn't. :lol: )

I'm almost embarrased by my age. how i wish i'd been alive to see some of these guys. it's just not fair i tells ye!
everybody hates a tourist, especially one who thinks it's all such a laugh, and the chip-stains and grease will come out in the bath

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 03 Oct 2006, 15:43

I think my most memorable gig would have to be a John Cooper Clarke-Richard Hell and the Voidoids-Elvis Costello and the Attractions triple bill at the Caird Hall, Dundee, in 1978 I think. Elvis autographed my ticket after the show!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Oct 2006, 15:55

Diamond Dog wrote:
The Slider wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:Led Zeppelin
Oakland Coliseum, 1979--the infamous show of the fight with Bill Graham's crew. .

'77, surely?

Obviously not that memorable.

Whatever.

I was sixteen. Or was I was seventeen?

Around there. And I don't even have the excuse that I was scribbling in a notepad, "Song 4: Achilles Last Stand, 5:43"

I'm sure you'll correct me on the set list too though.

At least they didn't play Dazed and Confused for 45 fucking minutes.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 03 Oct 2006, 16:15

King Biscuit wrote:Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre. Sunday June 4th '67

This was the second or third time to see Jimi (plus support). Procol Harum were on the bill and this was the very day that A Whiter Shade of Pale hit number 1. Denny Laine and The Chiffons made up the rest of the show.
The previous Friday had seen the release of Sgt Pepper, Paul McCartney was in the audience in a box by the stage and Jimi opened his set with the album's title track.

Wow, you were at that gig? Cool. McCartney later said it was one of the biggest honours of his life when Jimi played Sgt Pepper.

I think Linda Mc took a few snaps at that concert if you ever want to dig them up for old times sake.

Footy
Filler

Postby Footy » 03 Oct 2006, 16:20

Tactful Cactus wrote:
I think Linda Mc took a few snaps at that concert if you ever want to dig them up for old times sake.

Did she take them to the grave then?

Footy
Filler

Postby Footy » 03 Oct 2006, 16:25

Tactful Cactus wrote:Wow, you were at that gig? Cool. McCartney later said it was one of the biggest honours of his life when Jimi played Sgt Pepper.

I still have the programme and ticket stub.

We used to hang around the stage door for autographs after the Saville shows. This particular programme bears those of Mitch Mitchell (he always signed simply 'Mitch') and Donovan who must have been in the audience that night, too.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 03 Oct 2006, 17:43

King Biscuit wrote:We used to hang around the stage door for autographs after the Saville shows. This particular programme bears those of Mitch Mitchell (he always signed simply 'Mitch') and Donovan who must have been in the audience that night, too.

The new Mojo would be worth a read, footy. No new revelations, but the weeks following Hendrix's arrival is a fascinating period in the English music scene.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Oct 2006, 18:05

sloopjohnc wrote:At least they didn't play Dazed and Confused for 45 fucking minutes.

No. They played "No Quarter" for 30, "Over The Top" for 25, "White Summer" for 10 and "Guitar Solo" for 16. All unaccompanied.
:lol:

I have a boot of that show - it's much better than the next night (but still not very good). I guess they had other things on their mind?
:lol:
Cocaine

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 03 Oct 2006, 21:58

KISS w/Bob Seger - Pittsburgh Civic Arena 9/2/76
Best moment: The opening (Detroit Rock City)... I was still 8 years and was obsessed with rock and roll, and super heroes. When the lights came up, and bombs blew off, and there they were in their resplendent glory, it was like fucking Superman had just flown into the building. I had the exact same moment of wonder 20 years later when the original lineup returned to the LA Forum.

King Crimson - Berkeley, Greek Theater 8/13/82
I had actually seen them about 6 months earlier and found it a little hard to absorb. On this night, I was hanging around the theater & struck up a conversation with a guy in line, who ended up giving me a ticket. This time, I heard it. Bruford's drum solo leading to Indiscipline sticks in my mind to this day.

Suicidal Tendencies/Ism - Trenton, City Gardens - 3/24/85
A TOTAL experience. Going to see the Clash and Patti Smith Group years earlier in no way prepared me for the physical intensity of hardcore. I remember coming home & trying to explain it to my ELP-listening pals. "It sounds like a great time, yeah buddy." "Hey Bob, would you be having more fun if I kicked you in the teeth right now? Because I will, if that's what you want." I'm still at a loss to really explain it; it was just one of the most awesome things I ever saw.

Dead Kennedys - Trenton, City Gardens - 11/17/85
By now I was an 8-month veteran of City Gardens Sundays, and had seen some of the best in the land, but Jello Biafra, riding the audience like a wave without missing a lyric, was astounding. I don't think I have ever seen a more completely electric performance.

Butthole Surfers - Boston, Channel - 12/10/87

By this time the thrashing urge had given way to more cerebral pleasures. This show - rivaled only by the one I saw them do in NYC six months later - remains a peak psychedelic experience for me. We hadn't been getting much in the way of non-retro acid rock, and these Texan freaks thoughtfully filled the gap with film projections (including the notorious surgical film involving one unfortunate man's naughty bits), smoke machines, strobe lights and a dancing naked lady with silver teeth. It was like living inside a David Lynch dream sequence, with Black Sabbath soundtrack, for nearly two hours. The shtick would play itself out by 1989 but for a while there, they were absolutely the best band in the world. Jane's Addiction and the Flaming Lips have been chasing the smoke trail ever since.

Bridge School Benefit: The Who, Neil Young, Brian Wilson, Tom Waits, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins & Sheryl Crow - Mountain View, Shoreline Amp - 10/30/99
With a lineup like that, what more is there to say. Well, this...the Who were playing their 2nd show as a 5-piece band since 1982, and on acoustic guitars to boot. The uncertain ground put them noticeably on edge, they were looking around at each other all wondering what was going to happen next. This led to possibly the most connected performance I've ever seen them do, spontaneous and daring, and it was thrilling to watch. I had no high hopes for Brian, his mental problems were legendary, and at first sight he looked like he'd rather be anywhere else. But by set's end he was looking and sounding a lot better, and the band was so strong it made up for any shortcomings. By the time they reached the end, and 20,000 people rose up to applaud this man, it was kind of like the end of the movie "Shine." Even Townshend said, "I'm still in tears after seeing Brian Wilson...so incredibly moving."

The Who - San Diego Sports Arena - 8/17/00
This time they plugged in, and I had tickets in the first row right in front of Pete. Definitely the best show I ever saw by my favorite band, hence, best show I have ever seen.

ATP Festival - Magic Band, Stooges, Watt/Hurley Duet, Mission of Burma, Terry Riley, Carla Bozulich, James Chance, Shins and more - Long Beach, Queen Mary - 11/6-7/03
Tied with the Bridge for best festival show ever. No crap bands (well, I did have walk away from Har Mar Superstar before Terry Riley started), a nice venue, beautiful weather, great sound, mellow atmosphere... who could ask for anything more? The Magic Band did Moonlight on Vermont during an ACTUAL LUNAR ECLIPSE! Does it get any better? In fact it did, with George Hurley & Mike Watt ripping through an hour of Minutemen songs as a duet. There was no guitarist on stage, and yet we could hear those parts perfectly well. Spooky.

ATP Festival - Scientists, David Dondero, Mudhoney, Country Teasers, Flesheaters, Bert Jansch, Jandek, Ramblin' Jack Elliott - Camber Sands, UK - 5/8-10/06
The reformed Flesheaters (1981 Minute to Pray all-star lineup) was actually better at their LA show but I've dreamed, literally, about seeing the Scientists since 1989 & they were everything I could have hoped for. On Sunday, seeing Jandek followed by Bert Jansch did something to my brain chemistry. I felt shaken to the core...indeed, touched. My wife asked me what was wrong when I came back to the room & I had to tell her "I've been sonically reduced."
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 03 Oct 2006, 21:59

In a more just universe, Michael Bolton and Kenny G would have been in the van instead of D. Boon.

Watt, Hurley, Bolton & G?

I'm not sure that's an improvement but, to each his own. It certainly would have changed the band's sonic palette.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Diamond Dog

Re: your most memorable gigs

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Jan 2009, 12:04

Anyone want to add anything?
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Jan 2009, 16:09

George Thorogood and the Destroyers - Berkeley Community Theater, circa '78
Some may laugh, but the band was still just a three-piece (no sax) and had just released their third album, Move it On Over. Thorogood pulled out every stage trick he could and it worked. He looked like he was plugged in as well as his guitar. It's the closest I would think to seeing Chuck Berry in his prime.

The Ferocious Few - Hardly Strictly Bluegrass
I could tell Minnie was losing patience with all the twangy country so I suggested we take a walk and meet up with toomanyhatz and pillowz.

Along the way, we ran into a two-piece, who were playing rocket jet-fuelled psychobilly. They were playing like their lives depended on it.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 18 Jan 2009, 18:14

Super Furry Animals Cooper's Field, Cardiff 1997. They were always excellent live, but this outdoor gig (in a tent in Bute Park Arboretum) was the most thrilling experience I've had with them. Just the atmosphere that night - it felt quite intimate - plus the fact The Fall were on the bill.

The Pogues Student Union, Reading 1985. Quite the most boisterous gig I've ever attended, with an entire concert hall moshing furiously. Shane was very drunk (now there's a surprise....) and could barely speak let alone sing, but the band were in great form and that's all we needed.

My Bloody Valentine Ice Rink, Cardiff 1992. Terrible venue, horrid acoustics, impeccable performance. Actually, the poor acoustics might have taken the edge off the band's famously punishing volume levels. This still sounded like the music of the spheres, so stunningly beautiful. This was part of the 'Rollercoaster' package tour, so I also saw Blur (poor, at this stage), Dinosaur Jr (more like it, though they were better at Cardiff Uni) and The Jesus And Mary Chain (good, but going through the motions a bit). But MBV were a class apart.

Elvis Costello & the Attractions Leisure Centre, Newport 1994. A swimming pool complex where an adjoining gymnasium had been converted into a concert hall is a strange place to encounter a musical legend. However, plugging his back-to-basics Brutal Youth LP with the reformed Attractions, Elvis gave a fiery run through the more raucous corners of his back catalogue. The memory of a jagged, almost dubby version of 'Watching The Detectives' still gives me goosebumps.

Broken Social Scene Met Lounge, Peterborough 2003. The arty Canadains took a while to get going, but ended up delivering fireworks on a small stage. One of those gigs where a tiny venue seems to get bigger thanks to the ambition displayed onstage. Their albums remain frustratingly elusive to these ears, but, well, we'll always have Peterborough...

frimleygreener
Location: between the rose and thistle and the old weatsheaf...

Postby frimleygreener » 18 Jan 2009, 22:12

hendrix. royal albert hall. stands alone in rock history.i was there,fifteen and up for it. it may be my claim to fame that given good health and longevity i may be the last person left alive to have seen hendrix in the flesh...

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 19 Jan 2009, 07:40

solarskope wrote:brian wilson (pet sounds/SMiLE tours) - royal festival hall, london, 2003-4?

probably the closest i've come to a religous experience. both gigs blew me away. i don't think i've ever experienced so much love from an audience. quite unnerving to see grown men cry. in hindsight, it's easy to realise that wilson has lost it as a singer, but the his backing band were brilliant. the crowd at the pet sounds gig was choc-a-block with celebs. peter blake, nick mason, eric clapton to name a few. we almost got back stage by walking behind roger daltrey and his wife. i thought the bouncer was going to repent and let us in for sheer nerve, but unfortunately not. still, i did get my SMiLE programme signed by van dyke parks, and later added brian wilson's signature when he made a signing appearance at hmv.

Well, well, well: who would have thought that me & my old mucker solarscope would have had anything in common? Certainly not he, that’s for sure. But here it is, the Brian Wilson Smile tour and it was indeed a wonderful occasion. When Brian first stepped onto the stage, he looked so frightened, I thought he was going to run right off again. But, with strong support from his band, he did get into the evening and at times really seemed to be enjoying himself. Seeing Smile performed live was a real highlight for me, although, unfortunately, the resulting album turned out to be a bit disappointing. The run through of Beach Boys classics to close the show really brought the house down, especially when Brian strapped on his white Fender bass and rocked out with the band. Before the gig started, my wife & I got talking to a couple who turned out to run the UK Beach Boys fanclub. They invited us backstage afterwards for a meet & greet. I came away with mixed feelings really. Although it was fantastic to have a couple of words with Brian and have him sign my program, it was sad to see him removed from the world as he obviously was. A night I will never forget though.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re:

Postby copehead » 19 Jan 2009, 11:51

Deebank wrote:
Jarg Armani wrote:Chronologically

[/b]AC/DC-1980 Back in Black tour Deeside Ice rink [b]

First gig, and a good one to choose.(

Ha! I beat you to it big bro, I went to see The Police in 1979 at Stafford Bingley Hall - not that it was the best gig I ever saw mind - but I liked them well enough at the time.

23/12/1980 actually, a month after the AC/DC gig

http://www.scarlet.nl/~gugten/tour-p03.htm
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

12stringbassist

Postby 12stringbassist » 19 Jan 2009, 13:03

Slade - out of about 50 great shows, I'd pick Wolverhampton Civic 1979.

Cheap Trick - Shepherd's Bush Empire / The Garage, Islington (2nd/3rd album shows)

Sparks - Shepherd's Bush Empire

Queen - Manchester Free Trade Hall, Nov 1974

Thin Lizzy - Manchester Free Trade Hall, Jailbreak tour

Roxy Music - Manchester Belle Vue (Siren tour) / MEN Arena 2002.

Leonard Cohen - Manchester Opera House 08 / MEN Arena 08.

Frank Sinatra - Royal Albert Hall 1977

Live Aid

The Who - MEN Arena 2002 (front row under Townshend, with backstage passes).
My last Entwistle show. The last time I want to see The Who.

Live Stiffs - Manchester Apollo 1977.

The Jam - Manchester Apollo - All Mod Cons tour

Alice Cooper - Manchester Apollo (Special Forces tour)

Rockpile - Manchester Uni 1978

Justin Currie - all his Manchester shows last year and in 07.

Mari Wilson and The Wilsations - Manchester Free Trade Hall

George Hatcher Band - Bolton Institute of Technology 1977

Reading Festival 1977 (SAHB, Thin Lizzy, Aerosmith, Ultravox / Foxx, Uriah Heep,
Wayne County being pelted with mud)
The world was holding its breath waiting for me to post that, obviously......

Return to “Yakety Yak”