Do talk back
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 20 Feb 2006, 15:12

3 pages in and no mention of :-

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 20 Feb 2006, 15:20

A great book, and Ive got no idea where my copy is!!!!
Barny Hoskyns is generally pretty reliable-his Band biog is good too.
This is great too-I read it on the train up to the Jolly yesterday.Docu,and history,of the Stones leading up to Altamont/Gram Parsons era......
Bless the weather.......Image

Superdans
Self Confessed Hipster

Postby Superdans » 20 Feb 2006, 15:27

EverythingButTheGiraffe wrote:
The Smamfy wrote:
Navajo Meat wrote:
The Smamfy wrote:Image

What in the hell is this book about?

a guy who used to be a small indie band, and now he's a journalist.

it is a fantastic read. smith used to be in the cleaners from venus with martin newell but, unlike newell, was more interested in stardom for it's own sake rather than music as art.

i'm reading stuart maconie's cider with roadies right now and it's in a similar vein to lost in music and just as amusing.

Another shout for Lost In Music. Very funny read. Normally music journalists memoirs do nothing for me, but it's a very warm and honest book.
The absolute worst thing anyone could say about you is that you were a selfish, moral blank, whose lazy cynicism and sneering, ironic take on the world encapsulates everything wrong with a generation. But you my friend are not evil.

secondhandsocks

Postby secondhandsocks » 20 Feb 2006, 15:38

I got these two in the end.

and

gotta get around to reading them now, they join the pile with

and a load of proper books.

Mr Maps
a drunk in a midnight choir

Postby Mr Maps » 20 Feb 2006, 16:20

Dan wrote:
EverythingButTheGiraffe wrote:
The Smamfy wrote:
Navajo Meat wrote:
The Smamfy wrote:Image

What in the hell is this book about?

a guy who used to be a small indie band, and now he's a journalist.

it is a fantastic read. smith used to be in the cleaners from venus with martin newell but, unlike newell, was more interested in stardom for it's own sake rather than music as art.

i'm reading stuart maconie's cider with roadies right now and it's in a similar vein to lost in music and just as amusing.

Another shout for Lost In Music. Very funny read. Normally music journalists memoirs do nothing for me, but it's a very warm and honest book.

and like I said on page 2, read it right after This Little Ziggy
nathan wrote:I realize there is a time and a place for unsexy music, but I personally have no time for it.

Django wrote: It's video clips of earnest post-rock I want, and I have little time for anything else.

19th biggest tosser on BCB

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 20 Feb 2006, 16:23

andymacandy wrote:Image

8-)

Heilan Coo
The Communist Charles Hawtrey

Postby Heilan Coo » 20 Feb 2006, 17:27

sloopjohnc wrote:Another great book is Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azzerrad (sp?) which follows 8 to 10 original American punk bands like Husker Du, Sonic Youth, The Replacements, Black Flag, the Minuteman, and others, and chronicles how they formed, their early touring, the early indie record scene and their thoughts on the scene they were originating.

You know, I was going to buy that a while back and completely forgot about it. Down to Waterstones in the morning for me - cheers, SJC.
savoirfaire wrote:They are extremely cuddly, to the point where I think I was literally molested by a few of them. I completely understand how the farmer-goat relationships must happen.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 19 Aug 2006, 07:00

Just bumping this thread to ask whether Barney Hoskyn's Hotel California is up with his other work. I've got some loose change and I've seen it around, so I was curious as to whether it stands up as both a companion to his Waiting for the Sun and something that adds to his research on that. Certainly, Hoskyns is a wonderful writer, articulate, funny and clearly very thorough in his approach. He has a real personal touch.

Also, everyone should Hugo "The Electrician" Wicken's Low entry to the 33 1/3rd series, not just because it's good to see a fellow BCBer have his music writing in print, but because it's very concise, covers a lot of ground and seems to get to the heart of that record's odd mix of sadness and emotional reticicence, as well as the Iggy records of the same period. Certainly one of the better ones in the series.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

secondhandsocks

Postby secondhandsocks » 19 Aug 2006, 08:56

I can't compare this to Waiting For The Sun, I haven't read that yet.
I enjoyed Hotel California, not really many surprises, if you've read about the scene, but very enjoyable.

I suspect I may have read all I need to about that whole Laurel Canyon scene now.

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 19 Aug 2006, 09:44

I read Johnny Cash's autobiography (twice!) 2 weeks ago when I had a short vacation - I enjoyed it, but it's not the best music book ever...

(I only took this book on the vacation)

I also have this one but I didn't read it yet (great photographs):

Carlisle Wheeling

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 19 Aug 2006, 11:36

This was something of a bible way back when. It's been nicely updated too. If you were too busy with If, Greatest Show On Earth, Edgar Broughton etc back then, this can fill you in on Jerry Jeff, Michael Murphey and many others in the early 70's Texas scene.

And this is amazing! The detail of sessions, players and the whole crazy set up mindboggling.

I assume that the folowing are already in your collection. They're all essential:

Minstrels In The Gallery - David Rees
In The Court Of The Crimson King - Sid Smith
Emerson, Lake & Palmer: The Show That Never Ends - George Forrester
Bad Moon Rising - Hank Bordowitz
Are You Ready For The Country? - Peter Doggett

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 19 Aug 2006, 16:34

Stan - I assume that you have already read Head On and Repossesed by Julian Cope.

The greatest rock Autobiogs by some distance
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

secondhandsocks

Postby secondhandsocks » 20 Aug 2006, 09:40

Jarg Armani wrote:Stan - I assume that you have already read Head On and Repossesed by Julian Cope.

The greatest rock Autobiogs by some distance

I have indeed, and I think it's time to re-read them.
I still need to get a copy of Krautrocksampler, one day I'll give in and get it on ebay.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 20 Aug 2006, 09:58

Here's one I can recommend but not in a good way. It's bloody awful but worth getting hold of a cheap (very cheap) second hand copy if you come across it, just to marvel at it's sheer crapness.

It's written by some bloke called Jim DeRegotis. He shouldn't have bothered. Really.

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 20 Aug 2006, 10:26

I don´t know if it has been mentioned already, but I´m currently reading "Killing yourself to live". It´s a novel where the character could be Chuck Klosterman himself. It´s a trip through America to go to places where death and music met. It could be a modern -Nick Hornby influenced- On the road, and the writing is sharp and inspired. An absolute joy to read for people who -like me- find most aspects of Popular Culture exciting.

Grollope
Barred from the Eisteddfod

Postby Grollope » 20 Aug 2006, 10:51

No mention yet of....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-C2Ar4gpi8

Jimbo wrote: my gay friend told me all one has to do is take half. Sounds sensible. Try it.

Copehead wrote: they are choosing to monitor butt hose

Spec

Postby Spec » 20 Aug 2006, 16:36

Happiness Stan wrote:Sounds great, thanks Bhoy.
In the interests of keeping this thread alive a little longer, any other recommendations?

I nearly said Ambient books as well but these have probably covered that fairly well:

Ambient Century

Ocean of Sound

I'm reading and enjoying Toop's Haunted Weather. Lot of it goes over my head but entertaining nonetheless.

John_K
driven by lists

Postby John_K » 20 Aug 2006, 16:49

Can anybody recommend some books on Jazz?

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 20 Aug 2006, 17:06

John_K wrote:Can anybody recommend some books on Jazz?

It has mistakes and artists who should be there, but I think it's a good book:

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 21 Aug 2006, 07:41

John_K wrote:Can anybody recommend some books on Jazz?

John Szwed - Space Is The Place. This is a superb biography of Sun Ra. Even if you don't like Sun Ra's music, it's still a superb insight into a most astonishing life.

John Szwed - So What? As above quality-wise, but this time about Miles Davis.

Ashley Kahn - A Love Supreme. An outstanding book about John Coltrane, with special focus on the landmark A Love Supreme album.

Ashley Kahn - Kind Of Blue. As above, but this time about Miles Davis's classic, etc.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

Return to “Yakety Yak”