BCB 100 - REM

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Jul 2006, 17:08

Sir John Coan wrote:A fake band fronted by a humourless poser.

I guess this isn't a bad thing when considering bands from Manchester?

RcL

Postby RcL » 24 Jul 2006, 17:14

LP: Murmur
Song: Country Feedback

Carlisle Wheeling

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 24 Jul 2006, 17:44

Album: Reckoning

Song: Harborcoat

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 24 Jul 2006, 17:44

they've wandered away from the point of late but they are at their best a cracking band, much rockier live.

LP Life's Rich Pageant (although mainly for sentimental reasons)
song perfect circle

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 24 Jul 2006, 17:47

Album - Automatic For the People

Song - "Sweetness Follows".
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

Postby geoffcowgill » 24 Jul 2006, 17:53

Sir John Coan wrote:A fake band fronted by a humourless poser.

Their music sounds worse to me with every passing year.

Geoff - I'm not being funny, but are there any bands from this 100 list that you don't like?

I don't think I'm as likely to dislike as much as you are, but yes there are some that I don't care for. Most forcefully, perhaps, Joy Division and DJ Shadow. There are several others that I would never consider part of my top 100, such as Aretha Franklin, The Smiths, Roxy Music, Super Furry Animals, Scott Walker, Teenage Fanclub, etc. I've tried to represent things that I thought were well liked, or at the least had a number of fans on the board, without just putting in my favorites. I don't claim to have the best sense of what the pulse of the board is, but I must say that any of the bands that I quite like that some hate have gotten a great deal of support in these threads, so I've never felt unjustified in any of the bands I've suggested as of yet.

And I'm not trying to be funny either, but are there 100 acts that you really really like?

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 24 Jul 2006, 17:57

Almost impossible for me to decide - so much of it is treasured stuff.

However, when all is said and done, 'Country Feedback' towers monumentally over everything for me. And that includes the complete works of almost every other artist.

My favourite album is probably Automatic For The People, which is as moving and dignified an album as I reckon I'll ever hear.

This is the first BCB 100 where I've felt the need to separate things into eras though -y'know, 'IRS heyday years', 'Transition years', 'Sell Out ( :roll: ) years', 'Later transition years', 'Crap years' ...
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 24 Jul 2006, 18:06

funky_nomad wrote:I can see why people don't care for REM, because they are, at times, turgid. But when they get it right...... crikey, they can fly.

Sums up my feelings exactly. I was late to the party with REM. While the rest of the world was praising "Murmer," I found it to be incomprehensible and boring. Strangely enough, the more inviting I've found their music, the more hipsters have turned away from them. Ah well.

Favorite Album: "Automatic for the People"

Favorite Song: Everybody Hurts (I don't care what anyone says..it is a fucking classic) just nudges out Electrolite for the title.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: BCB 100 - REM

Postby toomanyhatz » 24 Jul 2006, 18:42

geoffcowgill wrote:I'm frankly baffled that Document isn't routinely considered not only their finest but one of the five or ten best albums of the 80s. There's not a bad track on it, and several phenomenal ones. It manages to have a great deal of variety and remain sonically of a piece. It's one of those straddling transitional albums that I love (their Rubber Soul). Great great great great great.

My feelings exactly. It's their masterpiece. They're similar to U2 for me in that I find some of it great, some of it awful, and a lot of it boring. But on balance I'll take the bad to get the good.

Also, they've done a lot with limited ability. You wouldn't call any of them staggeringly good musicians- though Mills on bass is damn good, kind of their secret weapon. That's probably part of their appeal, in fact. Most things Peter Buck does, amateur guitarists think "I could have done that!" Ah, but would you have thought of it?

Album - Document
Song - Finest Worksong
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

automatic_drip

Postby automatic_drip » 24 Jul 2006, 19:10

I'm a huge fan.

That said, I'm a fan from day one, which I think makes all the difference.

The way they conducted themselves during the IRS years was so fantastic, they could coast on their own goodwill when they turned into something more workmanlike and (dare I say it...) coprorate in the years since Bill Berry left. I can understand how you might find them a bit insufferable in approach if you came late to the party.

Album (today) - Lifes Rich Pagaent.

Song - Country Feedback, but I could easily name 30 other contenders.
Only time will tell if we stand the test of time.... - Sammy Hagar

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 24 Jul 2006, 19:59

I still have a soft spot for the earlier records (Perfect Circle and Fall On Me have the capability to transport me - often to a place I'm no longer too happy to go, unfortunately) but the fact is that Automatic For The People is just a better record than all of the earlier ones. There are a couple of overplayed songs from that period but ultimately nothing touches it.

Automatic

Can't separate Nightswimming and Find The River.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

purgatory brite

Postby purgatory brite » 24 Jul 2006, 20:26

album Out Of Time

song Man on the Moon

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 24 Jul 2006, 20:36

geoffcowgill wrote:And I'm not trying to be funny either, but are there 100 acts that you really really like?

It would be a real push to list 100 acts I really like, to be truthful. There might be 20.

Prince Of Peace
Arisen From the Ashes

Postby Prince Of Peace » 24 Jul 2006, 20:40

Album : Up

Track : At My Most Beautiful. (just beating "Nightswimming").

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 24 Jul 2006, 20:42

Sir John Coan wrote:
geoffcowgill wrote:And I'm not trying to be funny either, but are there 100 acts that you really really like?

It would be a real push to list 100 acts I really like, to be truthful. There might be 20.

Can't wait for the SJC 20 threads to start popping up.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 24 Jul 2006, 20:43

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:

Can't wait for the SJC 20 threads to start popping up.

Beefheart
Roxy music
Fall
Velvets
Stooges
iggy pop
Lou Reed
John Cale
Mo Tucker

Beno

Postby Beno » 24 Jul 2006, 21:08

Album: Automatic For the People (only NAIHF comes anywhere near to rivalling it in my affections)

Song: Nightswimming

Stirling Moss

Postby Stirling Moss » 24 Jul 2006, 22:14

LP: Green
Song: Me In Honey

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 24 Jul 2006, 23:54

Amazing band, just brilliant. They have over 50 songs which I'd give 10/10...I won't list them, I can't be bothered.

Out of Time would be my favourite if it wasn't for 'Radio Song' and 'Shiny Happy People' which are like two great turds on a perfect front lawn. But that album is so strong....Losing My Religion, Low, Near Wild Heaven, Country Feedback, Half a World Away.....

Album: Murmur

Song: Near Wild Heaven
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 25 Jul 2006, 00:32

Deebank wrote:I can't believe Document is getting all this praise either - a workmanlike effort with a couple of highlights in my book.

This is the correct view.

ALBUM: Murmur
SONG: I don't understand how you people can do these things. I'll get back.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Return to “BCB 100”