BCB 100 - Paul McCartney (and/or Wings)

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 19 Jul 2006, 09:04

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:Well given the nature of the list it is hard to say. There are tons of glaring omissions that outclass other things that made the cut. But being honest, could you truthfully say that his Wings/Solo records on their own would establish him as a superior artist to the likes of Nick Lowe or Harry Nilsson?

I don´t knowabout Lowe, but Nilsson´s carrer is clearly superior to Macca´s solo output.

But then again, to these ears some of Nilsson´s early records come pretty close to "untouchable-almost-in a-Beatle-kind-of way".

Anyway...

Album: Why not? Chaos and creation"...followed closely by "Ram"

Song: pfew... since there are so many, I´ll pick one that no one else seem to like: "Beautiful night"
Walk In My Shadow wrote:If Spaulding buys it, I'll buy it too.

Shaun

Postby Shaun » 19 Jul 2006, 09:28

Album: Ram

Song: Maybe I'm Amazed
Don't fight the hypothetical

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 19 Jul 2006, 09:43

toomanyhatz wrote:Let me take this opportunity to say how overrated I think Band on the Run is. I like the title track, Bluebird and a few others, but the pastiche stuff seems pointless, and when he starts getting into that "Ho-hey ho" stuff, it reminds me of everything I don't like about Paul.

But the 'Ho-Hey-Ho' stuff has such a killer bass line!
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 19 Jul 2006, 09:49

Album: so, so hard. But, I'm going for Chaos & Creation. I didn't expect anything so good, so far as I am concerned a career renaissance, but this really hangs together. Although oddly, I find the rockers the least convincing songs. Perhaps he should have held them over for a band album?

Song: 'Maybe I'm Amazed' is the one that most obviously stands shoulder to shoulder with the Beatle stuff, but I'm also a sucker for 'Junk', and would just like to mention 'Warm and Beautiful', whose half-assed slide guitar is something else.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Prince Of Peace
Arisen From the Ashes

Postby Prince Of Peace » 19 Jul 2006, 10:33

12stringbassist wrote:I'm sure that when Paul wrote JET he was dancing on the spot at how good a song he had written. It would have been cracking live, too.

Indeed. When I saw him in '03, I remember commenting to Thesiger just how magical the Wings stuff sounded live - "Jet" absolutely kicked arse that night, but (for me) the best of those tracks was "Let Em In" which totally blew me away that evening.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 19 Jul 2006, 15:12

Captain Spaulding wrote:
Davey The Fat Boy wrote:Well given the nature of the list it is hard to say. There are tons of glaring omissions that outclass other things that made the cut. But being honest, could you truthfully say that his Wings/Solo records on their own would establish him as a superior artist to the likes of Nick Lowe or Harry Nilsson?

I don´t knowabout Lowe, but Nilsson´s carrer is clearly superior to Macca´s solo output.

But then again, to these ears some of Nilsson´s early records come pretty close to "untouchable-almost-in a-Beatle-kind-of way".

Absolutely. Lowe may have been a bad example. His good material to bad material ratio was what led me to use him, but in truth his highs haven't been as high as McCartney's, and his singing is not nearly as compelling. But Nilsson is a whole other animal. As you said, his career is clearly superior to Paul's solo work. In fact, it isn't really even a contest.

Though it is clear that Nilsson has some fans on this board, it also seems to me that he may be the artist most criminally underrated by BCB. I've seen him dismissed without consideration several times recently. What gives?
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Prince Of Peace
Arisen From the Ashes

Postby Prince Of Peace » 19 Jul 2006, 15:40

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:Though it is clear that Nilsson has some fans on this board, it also seems to me that he may be the artist most criminally underrated by BCB. I've seen him dismissed without consideration several times recently. What gives?

It's tough being seen as Lennon's right hand man, isn't it?

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 19 Jul 2006, 16:02

12stringbassist wrote:
I think so.

A great song can be even better live. If you have the conviction to write and record it, it needs to be played live.

I’m more interested in McCartneys albums than his live shows, so I prefer him to craft a good song in/for the studio without keeping an eye on its possibilities for stadium rock, which removes the subtleties of a song like a rusty carving knife. Sgt Pepper would sound a hell of a lot different (and inferior) if it was written with a view to touring it the following year.

I see your point though, a truly great song can work on both stage and studio, but its not that important to me.

BajaJaba

Postby BajaJaba » 19 Jul 2006, 16:28

Favourite album : Ram

Song: No words..and.or Backseat of my car...

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 19 Jul 2006, 17:00

Baja wrote:Favourite album : Ram

Same choices as mine. :D

Nice to see someone else digging No Words.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

BajaJaba

Postby BajaJaba » 19 Jul 2006, 17:50

Snarfyguy wrote:
Baja wrote:Favourite album : Ram

Same choices as mine. :D

Nice to see someone else digging No Words.

The reason is obvious, the most like a Beatles song on the album....btw kickass solo at the end (i would like to think by Paul himself)....great tone....

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 28 Jul 2006, 17:06

album: band on the run
song: every night

pcqgod

Re: BCB 100 - Paul McCartney (and/or Wings)

Postby pcqgod » 02 Jul 2010, 05:27

album: Band on the Run
song: Every night
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Quaco
F R double E

Re:

Postby Quaco » 01 Sep 2010, 04:13

Billybob wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:'Back Seat Of My Car' is blissful and, played to non-believers, an instantly-recognisable example of enormous natural melodic talent. It's a godlike piece of music.

But it sounds unfinished. Something that was just tossed off in about 10 minutes when he had some spare time. There's too much of that in Macca's early solo work. I'd love to hear what he could have done with it.

:?: Unfinished? The thing is an epic with an orchestral arrangement and about ten parts, a huge ending with a scream to end all screams, and a rocking outro. It's like calling a five-course meal an appetizer. Are you sure we're talking about the same song?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 31 Jan 2011, 08:54

Album: Ram

Song: My Love
Betty Denim wrote:The first time I saw a strange man's cock was in a queue for a Belgian breakfast buffet.

GoogaMooga wrote:I do have standards.

musiclistsareus

Postby musiclistsareus » 18 Apr 2011, 06:44

No one mentioned "Back to the Egg". I think it's one of his rockingest, and it has a very Abbey Road/White Album vibe to it. "Spin it On", "Baby's Request", "Rockestra Theme", "Old Siam, Sir", etc

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re:

Postby naughty boy » 07 Feb 2018, 01:34

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:
Prince Of Peace wrote:Track : Back Seat Of My Car.

God, that song gets a lot of love around here.

It's not bad but it never seemed a standout to me until I started reading how all you guys love it.

Just a theory, but I think that song gained popularity in the wake of the CD reissues of the Beach Boys catalogue. Once the Brian Wilson renaissance kicked into full gear, I think people started to hear that song with different ears.

I could be wrong, but that's when I noticed people starting to single it out.

:?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

EmileCange

BCB 100 Paul McCartney and/or Wings

Postby EmileCange » 13 Oct 2019, 20:23

Imagine being one of the people sitting in that pub that day. Just chilling, having some drinks, and suddenly the curtain opens and theres Paul Freakin McCartney singing old Beatles hits 10 feet in front of you.

<MIND BLOWN>

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Re: BCB 100 Paul McCartney and/or Wings

Postby soundchaser » 16 Oct 2019, 22:26

EmileCange wrote:Imagine being one of the people sitting in that pub that day. Just chilling, having some drinks, and suddenly the curtain opens and theres Paul Freakin McCartney singing old Beatles hits 10 feet in front of you.

<MIND BLOWN>

Yeah, imagine. Oh, that’s John.

Return to “BCB 100”